StudentsReview - Loyola Marymount University - Life at LMU Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html Life at LMU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about LMU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html LMU has been good to me. I am not gonna lie, there are certainly bad parts and good parts to any school, but I believe the the good outweighs the bad at LMU. The science school is really starting to g... Fri, 18 Aug 2017 01:41:48 GMT StudentsReview 168-180804 168-180804 168 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 1921 2nd Year Positive LMU has been good to me. I am not gonna lie, there are certainly bad parts and good parts to any school, but I believe the the good outweighs the bad at LMU. The science school is really starting to grow with new facilities and opportunities available for students. However, my favorite thing of all is the interaction I get with professors. So far, I would say 90% of the professors I meet at LMU have been nothing but passionate and helpful. They are not completely taken over by their research so that they make plenty of time for office hours. In fact, most of my professors are willing to meet outside of office hours and even greater lengths to help you understand the lessons. I have very lasting relationships with many of my professors, one of whom has allowed me to have dinner at her house.

Another amazing thing is the opportunities and resources available to the students. Since LMU is not a huge school, the opportunities aren't always reserved for an elite few since there isn't as much competition. It's not very hard to participate in research as long as you ask. The professors really do reward students who put in a lot of effort. There are also many ways to get involved whether it be greek life, service orgs (amazing! highly recommend) or clubs. There are advisors for everything (spiritual/religious, mental health, academic, pre-med, pre-anything, etc.) and they have tons of academic resources for those who are struggling. Honestly at LMU (and I'm sure most schools), just ask and you will receive. If you seek out these things, you will gain so much more than you would've ever thought.

The only POTENTIAL drawbacks to LMU would be the social life. On the weekends (especially three day weekends) many students drive back home since they live somewhat close-by. This can leave the campus a bit empty on the weekends. Still, its nothing drastic and you won't see tumbleweed rolling by as you walk on the sidewalks. There are still events happening such as greek, service or club events. The housing and programming associations on campus have an event almost every week. There aren't a ton of parties on campus, most are in the neighborhoods nearby or you have to go to another school. And the parties usually get rolled by 12 or 1am. Also, you will meet spoiled children at this school (probably at most private universities to be honest) but they are not the majority. Most of the people who attend this school are extremely friendly.

One last thing that can be taken as a good or bad. There is a diverse group of people here and I love it. Diverse as in racially, politically, locationally, etc. and any other type of community. You will meet people you see everything eye-to-eye with or have a lot in common and you will meet people you completely disagree with or have nothing in common. But, the best part is that you will step out of your bubble (even though that sounds scary compared to your nice, safe bubble). Ok enough with my rant.

So there it is. The goods and the bads. But, considering college is mainly for academics, I think the goods still outweigh the bads. And just a reminder for all highschoolers looking at these reviews: whatever college you choose (LMU or not) you WILL BE FINE. It is not the end of the world. If you find you're unhappy, you can always transfer. College is a time to grow from the bad and good (as corny as that sounds) so cherish it.

***ALSO, you do NOT have to be catholic to attend or enjoy attending this school. I am not religious at all and I sometimes forget LMU is a catholic university. I've actually come to realize most Jesuits are kinda cool.
Fri, 18 Aug 2017 01:41:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about LMU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html Awful awful school. Go here if you want to do highschool all over again. The faculty treats you like children by giving you idiotic busy work such as "journal entries" and going off on tangents daily,... Sat, 29 Jul 2017 05:04:02 GMT StudentsReview 168-180647 168-180647 168 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative Awful awful school. Go here if you want to do highschool all over again. The faculty treats you like children by giving you idiotic busy work such as "journal entries" and going off on tangents daily, making you wonder why you are wasting so much money on hearing middle aged men complain about their life. The students act as if they are still in highscool- "popularity" is still a thing. Of course there are a few exceptions, but the majority of this school are basic, shallow, borderline alcoholics who aren't interesting in thinking critically in anything and are just there to fuck off and get a degree. Sat, 29 Jul 2017 05:04:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about LMU for Civil Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html It is a very bad university... Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:19:56 GMT StudentsReview 168-179399 168-179399 168 10 Civil Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative It is a very bad university Thu, 30 Mar 2017 08:19:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about LMU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html I transferred to LMU as a sophomore, and I absolutely love it! I've had such an amazing time here so far! The campus is beyond beautiful, the view from the bluffs is amazing. There are so many oppo... Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:08:20 GMT StudentsReview 168-178101 168-178101 168 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Positive I transferred to LMU as a sophomore, and I absolutely love it! I've had such an amazing time here so far! The campus is beyond beautiful, the view from the bluffs is amazing. There are so many opportunities to get involved, and fun things to do. Being in LA means something exciting is always happening nearby. The schoolwork is a little more challenging than I expected, but my professors and friends have been really helpful. Transferring to LMU was the best decision I ever made! Fri, 13 Jan 2017 08:08:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about LMU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html I came to LMU for film, like so many others. And now I'm transferring, like so many other film students who realized that they don't actually want to study film. I wanted to go to school in a big city... Fri, 25 Mar 2016 12:21:37 GMT StudentsReview 168-173101 168-173101 168 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Neutral I came to LMU for film, like so many others. And now I'm transferring, like so many other film students who realized that they don't actually want to study film. I wanted to go to school in a big city, but LA is just so inaccessible, especially from LMU. Either bring your car or be prepared to spend a lot of money on Uber if you want to go to any of LA's landmarks. Or to go to UCLA/USC every Friday and Saturday night which is, to my knowledge, the only place to go party if you go here. Most of the students here are rich enough to afford it and a bunch of expensive trendy clothes. Honestly, the majority of the students are rich in Greek life, fall (politically) either in the center or to the right, and only want to talk about partying. When it was rush weekend for the sororities, every single girl I passed was talking about what sorority they were rushing. It makes everyone just seem so boring, like they just accept whatever society and their parents tell them to do. As an LGBT student, I definitely felt like a minority. And some students are actual Donald Trump supporters.

That said, I had some pretty awesome professors. The academics are OK, but nothing you couldn't get for a lot less money at a Cal State. Financial aid, from what I can tell, is pretty lacking. Come here if you want to feel like you're attending a country club for college.
Fri, 25 Mar 2016 12:21:37 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/LMU_comments.html