StudentsReview - The Otis College of Art and Design - Life at OCOAADhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html Life at OCOAAD - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about OCOAAD for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html i wish i would've transfered out. i could not get one on one help, i was ignored a few times in foundation. i could not get the classes i wanted or needed for my choice of career.they promise to help ... Tue, 28 Aug 2012 01:02:21 GMT StudentsReview 1749-89113 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1749-89113 1749 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Negative i wish i would've transfered out. i could not get one on one help, i was ignored a few times in foundation. i could not get the classes i wanted or needed for my choice of career.they promise to help you get a good start to a great job but i feel they were very selective of who they wnated to exceed. A lot of favortism to favorite students and they rest were kind of on the side lines. Too expensive to be in this school, the prjects depending cost alot of money. I have not found a job and I in serious debt. i wanted to quit but they are persistant in keeping you there claiming they will help you. Tue, 28 Aug 2012 01:02:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about OCOAAD for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html I was a transfer student from a junior college. I was accepted as a sophomore, and was originally enrolled in the graphic design program. I felt that my first year was confusing, but hopeful. Some of ... Mon, 18 Jun 2012 02:49:45 GMT StudentsReview 1749-87976 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1749-87976 1749 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2011 3rd Year Negative I was a transfer student from a junior college. I was accepted as a sophomore, and was originally enrolled in the graphic design program. I felt that my first year was confusing, but hopeful. Some of the classes, specifically the type classes were approached by the teachers with the idea that students already had great knowledge of how typography works. And this wasn't so in my case. I felt great by the second semester though, because I had taken an advertising workshop class and the teacher made me feel like I had great ideas and should be an advertiser. So I transferred into the ad program. My junior year, was more confusing, and a little less hopeful. I had some of the weirdest teachers, and the weirdest classes. So much of the curriculum was just about being random, and one thing I had really hoped to learn was how to put type into an ad. But I never learned that. By the end of the year I was scared and confused about my future after leaving Otis. I was terrified about getting out into the real world, my confidence had been shaken and I no longer trusted my creative instincts. Everything my classmates and I put up on the walls for critiques were just passed by, if the pictures weren't pretty enough, or the type wasn't "set right". It was frustrating to barely get constructive critiques. (Please keep in mind not all of the teachers were terrible, there are plenty of terrific professors, just not too many in the ad program). My senior year was by far the worse. The head of department just lost interest in us, because we fought back. Some of the girls felt sexually harassed by some of the professors, we were taken to a bar for a class and got to take pictures of beer for 8 weeks straight, and the professors got to take home the extras every time. One professor would say one thing and then negate it literally 10 seconds later. There was one great professor who I felt truly cared, he always stayed after class to talk to us and see how we were doing. He listened to what we had to say, he pushed us hard, but wanted us to succeed and never gave you the answer, he made you work for it. For the other classes, we just tried to scrape by by figuring out what the professors like, the head of the department likes pretty pictures with no words. I can't speak for the rest of the school and the other departments, I think the illustrators have a great program, and I assume the graphic design kids do too, but the Advertising program was a complete waste of time and money. Of the $90,000+ that we spent on this program, I feel like I wasted almost 75% of it here. I would never ever let my worst enemy enroll in the ad program at Otis, and they constantly hit me up for money. I'm never going to give another cent to this school. And will be sure to tell everyone who asks me about this school the truth! Don't waste your money and sanity at this place! Mon, 18 Jun 2012 02:49:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about OCOAAD for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html I am surprised that many students disliked OTIS...anyways, I grew up in California and since my parents were over protective, my only choice was to attend OTIS. Unfortunately, my dreams of attending s... Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:14:12 GMT StudentsReview 1749-85517 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1749-85517 1749 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2010 4th Year Positive I am surprised that many students disliked OTIS...anyways, I grew up in California and since my parents were over protective, my only choice was to attend OTIS. Unfortunately, my dreams of attending schools in New York were gone, it was a great experience in my life and I really enjoyed my foundation year at OTIS. If anyone complains because there are overloads of homework and works to do, all I can say is "welcome to college." This isn't high school anymore and you are challenged everyday because you will eventually have to deal with more when you go out to the real world.

Also, I always wanted my college to be more organized and clean with few shower rooms for students who stayed all night and better place to eat and relax (Yes, it never really happened). But, you know what? If the school you want to attend just has everything ready that matches your expectations, I wouldn't really call it a college...you know what I mean? Some newly designed schools with lots of money might meet your expectations. If so, attend that school, not OTIS. I used to complain everyday about the professors who's old and they seemed to lack in knowledge in Digital Media but no matter what your major is, you will learn from them. It will all come from their experience and life. And to tell the truth, my grades were very average and they weren't amazing but I always did my best and didn't care so much about the grades because no one will ever know how much effort and time was spend to create the project. After all, no one can judge your work of art.

This school is for people who really can manage the time and who is ambitious about their life in a positive attitude. If you attend Pasadena Art Center, people there are very independent and they will never help you out with your work. Also, they destroy your work while you're out to lunch. (Heard this story through my friend in Art Center) At least, people at OTIS are never like that and they respect your work as an artist. People at OTIS will constantly return your hard drives and work at the lost and found. (Not that I am saying, people at Art Center don?t do that.)

On this web it says the starters are paid $42,000 after graduating the college. You know what? You may complain about OTIS for being such a stressful school but I managed through those hard times and I now work at a very well known TV station, paid over $42,000. I am not here to brag but really wish to tell you all that rather than complaining about the school, try harder to find school that really works out with your personality and your priorities. AND YOUR MAJOR, Really.

OTIS isn't too hard to get in and they accept many students with ?POTENTIALS,? and rather than thanking the school for the opportunity, people are complaining and asking more. Change your attitude. Be thankful for studying when there are bunch of people who can?t afford to go to OTIS.
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 06:14:12 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about OCOAAD for Interior Designhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html I am currently a foundation student in this school and i can tell you attending this college was the worst decision of my life. i expected so much but honestly i am beyond disappointed. I GUARANTEE yo... Sun, 02 Oct 2011 03:26:08 GMT StudentsReview 1749-81521 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1749-81521 1749 71 Interior Design Female Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Negative I am currently a foundation student in this school and i can tell you attending this college was the worst decision of my life. i expected so much but honestly i am beyond disappointed. I GUARANTEE you you will have NO SLEEP some of the time here. I have had homework that has caused me to pull all nighters and having only an hour of sleep. There IS NO and i mean NO SOCIAL Life whatsoever. The workload is insane and its beyond stressful. I am usually a happy, enthusiastic person but this college has caused me to be upset, stressed, and wanting to leave. I advise any senior high school students to ONLY attend this college if you are willing to have no sleep, no social life, and just being completely and utterly committed to homework loads every single day of your life. The environment here is no surprise because there is literally nothing to do here. I suggest bringing a car to this college because you will want to leave the area on the weekends. Sun, 02 Oct 2011 03:26:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about OCOAAD for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html The school is great in all regards, however stay away from housing at whatever coast. Rent an apartment in the area. It is extremely strict, expensive and easy to get kicked out of. It is strict enoug... Thu, 02 Sep 2010 03:09:31 GMT StudentsReview 1749-70824 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 1749-70824 1749 52 Undecided Male Undergraduate Class 2014 1st Year Negative The school is great in all regards, however stay away from housing at whatever coast. Rent an apartment in the area. It is extremely strict, expensive and easy to get kicked out of. It is strict enough to interfere with studies even if you aren't doing anything wrong. If faced with housing you will be told to be honest. Don't lie, just don't tell them anything, and make sure nobody tells them anything. The honesty line is a ruse, you aren't rewarded for it in the slightest. You will be charged with non-compliance for not saying anything, however this is a minor offense. Thu, 02 Sep 2010 03:09:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/OCOAAD_comments.html