StudentsReview - San Francisco Art Institute - Life at SFAIhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html Life at SFAI - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about SFAI for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html I went to SFAI as a 35 year old nontraditional adult, with much professional career and life experience. Prior to SFAI I was studying classical technical skills in an Atelier. I was accepted to SFAI w... Fri, 07 Feb 2014 08:17:00 GMT StudentsReview 186-101157 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 186-101157 186 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Negative I went to SFAI as a 35 year old nontraditional adult, with much professional career and life experience. Prior to SFAI I was studying classical technical skills in an Atelier. I was accepted to SFAI with a presidential scholarship. Goals of obtaining a BFA in painting and a minor in design technology. Straight up, dorm rooms are small if you share. They teach what they call the canon in their history studies. Much of it based around the western perspective with Roman catholic over tones of Christianity in contemporary overtones of neoclassical liberalism. They do not like Socratic questioning.
They do not like you choosing your own path like the old days of SFAI, such as what Barry Mcgee did. I went to SFAI to do what ever the F*uck I wanted because its an art school; and in art its all about questioning theory, transforming, etc - not hash-tagging along to a format driven in place and considering it as standard.
Much of the student body is young and entitled. The instructors for the most part are under paid, lowly motivated fan boys of the art world, filled with pretentious dialog. I actually failed painting, when an argument took place with my instructor L.B. - I protested his class, by not attending but painted my ass off, which meant doing a portrait of him. I fought the failure,claiming discrimination of age and experience and religion. Art is my religion. I did not win. I also failed history because I did not attend SFAI to learn mans faith, the bloodshed of wars, and how art reflects that. I came to SFAI to be next level and expected a mentoring ad free environment with out the social suffering and compression. In all I was kicked out of the school a week prior to the end. I was not willing to abide by the community standards and sanctions taken out on me; when I was targeted by feminists; as well a sculpture instructor felt threatened by an email I sent her, when she thought it was necessary to remind me of tardiness; when in reality I was speaking truth and explaining a project. I was targeted by a feminist group due to an off campus relationship that took place with a female student that made a false report of sexual contact without consent.
This school is an ugly place. I told the president that the spirit of SFAI was leaving with me. That school is a dark void of violent and untalented people hiding in the shadow that ART truly creates. Never send your youth to SFAI.
As well, if your straight male, who doesn't want to deal with the bullshit - most likely you will be liberalized as being homophobic, "bro cultured" and all that other liberal labeling that socially destroys the world. This is just the tip of my story. If I had the money for the best lawyer, or family money; I would own that ugly cement monastery with a good view.
Fri, 07 Feb 2014 08:17:00 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SFAI for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html Film Major: If you are main stream then this school is NOT for you. But if you are all into experiential... then they have got all the toys! YOu won't get to use many camera until 2nd years... so keep... Thu, 18 Oct 2012 01:41:08 GMT StudentsReview 186-89926 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 186-89926 186 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Neutral Film Major: If you are main stream then this school is NOT for you. But if you are all into experiential... then they have got all the toys! YOu won't get to use many camera until 2nd years... so keep that in mind... if you could proof to them tho ... I believe there is a good chance that you could use them.

Painting/Drawing/PrintMaking/Sculpture... Are GREAT!!! People here are crazy! You have all the freedom in the world they will teach you everything. Its all about working hard... and putting more time and effort into it.

Photography... Okay so they have got a lot of cool teachers... and Ansel Adam was the one who set this department up which is great!! You could learn a lot as long as you are willing... Its all about hard work and asking...

New Genre... Its about concept work.... now the thing is some of the people said its great some said its horrible... They thing is you have to love CONTEMPORARY ART... If not then dont do it!!
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 01:41:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SFAI for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html Please consider the implications of attending this school. I know it seems like a cool thing to add to your wikipedia page, to move to the city and attend a historically powerful school of art. But t... Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:50:56 GMT StudentsReview 186-85947 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 186-85947 186 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2014 1st Year Negative Please consider the implications of attending this school. I know it seems like a cool thing to add to your wikipedia page, to move to the city and attend a historically powerful school of art. But the student body is very unfriendly for the most part. Many students are very snobby and so absorbed in their own work (supposedly) that they can't help you out with yours. Because of the small enrollment size, cliques can form easily as well.

The academics just aren't there. Classes aren't at all demanding. I'm self-motivated enough to consistently make work and evaluate it but teachers really don't expect much and students realize this, and don't try hard enough. It's so frustrating. Student work a majority of the time just isn't confident, and you know not much time or thought was put into it. Also, technical skills won't be taught to you here, so it's better if you come strong in your medium before you arrive. Another result of that is that students will consistently talk about big concepts and not follow through. There's just not much to take away from the classroom experience.

Staff is helpful and facilities are great. NOT THE CAFE. the cafe is awful.
dorms - if you're a freshman and want to meet people sutter hall is best. if you're older or feel more mature and would like a nicer room with a quieter atmosphere, abby hall.

overall it's not a good experience though. too bad because it's so expensive and san francisco is such a great city. i'd really like to transfer. i came for an experience of diversity and rigorous faculty.... but most students are trying so hard to be the most unique person that it defeats the purpose of diversity alltogether. and faculty don't make their classes rigorous.

im trying not to be too biased or emotionally charged. but please please please look at schools that will give you a more rounded and tactile education.... everyone i talk to here is desperate for it.
Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:50:56 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SFAI for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html Unless you come from a wealthy family and have a lot of money to blow on a fine arts education, I would not recommend attending SFAI. I had tons of fun the year I attended, but fun was what I had. I u... Tue, 24 Jan 2012 04:01:45 GMT StudentsReview 186-84741 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 186-84741 186 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2013 1st Year Neutral Unless you come from a wealthy family and have a lot of money to blow on a fine arts education, I would not recommend attending SFAI. I had tons of fun the year I attended, but fun was what I had. I understand that it is a fine arts school, but it lacks much needed structure. The staff is awfully kind, but assumes you know what it is that you are doing, when that is not always true and allows you to get away with doing anything related to the topic at hand. A lot of students are slackers and professors allow them to get away with it and award them A's and B's in courses when it is not deserved. The professors who really attempt to try and give structure and try to teach technique are written off as assholes by most students. Unless you are self-disciplined and have money to blow, do not attend school here. It is what you make of it. Tue, 24 Jan 2012 04:01:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about SFAI for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html This school met my most important need: it changed my life.... Thu, 04 Aug 2011 06:24:57 GMT StudentsReview 186-79745 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 186-79745 186 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Male Undergraduate Class 2011 1st Year Positive This school met my most important need: it changed my life. Thu, 04 Aug 2011 06:24:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/SFAI_comments.html