StudentsReview - The University of California Berkeley - Life at Berkeleyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Life at Berkeley - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html I started off as engineering, intending to go into EECS. You are given 40 hours of studying a week, be prepared to sacrifice sleep, socializing, fun things. You will find that Engineering is quite dif... Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:26:31 GMT StudentsReview 199-95798 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-95798 199 44 Criminal Male Undergraduate Class 2007 5th Year Neutral I started off as engineering, intending to go into EECS. You are given 40 hours of studying a week, be prepared to sacrifice sleep, socializing, fun things. You will find that Engineering is quite different than other majors and things going on campus, I would say take it seriously and be very independent, self-motivated, and don't rely on help to be given. A lot of students here know how to game the system and get good grades, be prepared for a major deflating of your ego and I would say don't try to stand out. You will get 30s/100s on exams, they will be curved. Math classes and science classes will be hard first two years, SERIOUSLY, to make it at Cal, you have to be one huge ASSHOLE. That's good advice, to put up with a lot of GSIs, fellow students,

Crowded lectures, lines at the RSF, and . DONT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT, wear the same clothes as everyone else, don't ask questions, Cal doesn't like people who ruffle up feathers, you're going to have to deal with a lot of hierarchy and bureaucracy here, a lot of time you see things are not indicative of ability, but ability to BS and navigate resources, win social approval, dress nice, be good looking, and athletic. That will win you points, don't smoke.

If you want girls, you have to be tall, good-looking, rich, and thin. If you are in Engineering, forget about it. I would say get that degree and focus on making money, seriously you are wasting your time trying to find a girl at Cal, wrong school. You have to be memorizing content, solving problems, doing problem-sets, that the next thing on your mind is to eat or sleep after 48 hours. Do things for yourself and don't rely on other people. Expect people to be rude and douchey big time at parties or even playing sports, I'll be honest Cal is very elitist, students from very rich families, high socioeconomic status, priviledged. If it doesn't seem like a cultural fit, you're going to suffer. There are some cool, open-minded friendly people now and then, but very self-absorbed and status-seeking in my personal opinion. You wont make much conversations out of the blue, and this is discouraged even.

People that come to Cal are focused on the prestige and want to get a job at Google, Goldman Sachs, McKinsey. Or to a medical school or good law school.

I don't know if people come here on this board to rant or if they had bad experiences, the "losers" of Cal. Oh yeah, and there are a lot of gay people here, no offense.
Focus on getting a good GPA (which is hard), securing research, and internships.

If your family has money, a private school would be better off for you.
Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:26:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Berkeley for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not b... Fri, 17 May 2013 10:51:48 GMT StudentsReview 199-93956 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-93956 199 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not be in a job related to my major, but it's because I decided to take two years off before grad school, and no position in classical archaeology or archaeological conservation accepts anything less than a Masters degree. And in response to all the people who claim that there isn't anything to do, that's just a result of them not looking hard enough. My first year I got involved in the campus radio station, KALX, which still plays music instead of talk radio, and I made a whole bunch of friends there. I also got really involved in the small Classics Department, where most of my classes had less than 30 people in them. My final year I joined the co-ops, and managed to live in one of the many NOT drug infested ones and had a blast. You don't have to just be an athlete or in a frat to find things to do. Cal also has a great study abroad program. Fri, 17 May 2013 10:51:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Berkeley for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html I hated it here and regret that I went here. Academically: I caught up eventually, but now realize i needed a little more handholding at 17 yrs old. No one helps you at all - the other comments are t... Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:05:17 GMT StudentsReview 199-92048 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-92048 199 3 Architecture Female Undergraduate Class 2000 5th Year Negative I hated it here and regret that I went here.
Academically: I caught up eventually, but now realize i needed a little more handholding at 17 yrs old. No one helps you at all - the other comments are true.
Socially: If you are a D1 bold athlete with money, you will be fine. If you are quieter and like smaller groups of mixed friends, good luck. You will be drinking alone.
The people here for the most part were so unfriendly and close minded , it really affected me. I would have gone to a smaller liberal arts school where I could be more of myself, and get more individual attention and guidance. This would be a GREAT place for grad school -undergrad is difficult.
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:05:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Cal has something for everyone and is a "people stretcher." It teaches you how to succeed outside your comfort zone. Biggest surprise is how accessable all the professors are and enjoy their interacti... Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:48:42 GMT StudentsReview 199-88579 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-88579 199 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2008 4th Year Neutral Cal has something for everyone and is a "people stretcher." It teaches you how to succeed outside your comfort zone. Biggest surprise is how accessable all the professors are and enjoy their interaction with undergraduates. It's not for everyone, but probably as interesting a college experience as you could possibly find. Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:48:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about Berkeley for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Summary: 1) Name value is great for jobs 2) Not hard to get good GPA for grad school(Unless you are in engineering or chemistry) 3) Barren of attractive girls (and for you girls, it's also pretty ... Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:11:25 GMT StudentsReview 199-87754 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-87754 199 57 Economics Male Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Advice Summary:
1) Name value is great for jobs
3) Barren of attractive girls (and for you girls, it's also pretty lacking of hot guys)
4) Meet people from all over world, lots of culture

All graduates I know from the school have found jobs with ease because of the name of UC Berkeley on their resume. As an econ major (Berkeley is #1 in Economics), this is especially helpful. Though I bash on Cal for not being challenging and not having the greatest campus or girls (as compared to UCSB and SBCC where I grew up), I still would choose to go here because of the name value and the easiness to achieve a good GPA for grad school (I currently have a 4.0 as a junior). You get to meet a lot of different people from all over the world. For example, over my past two years, I have made friends from Germany, Brazil, and Peru. If you come here, you will surely learn just from the different cultural perspectives; it is a great learning experience.
Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:11:25 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html