StudentsReview - The University of California Berkeley - Life at Berkeleyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Life at Berkeley - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Berkeley is an outstanding college town. Great to be young and living in Berkeley and exploring your personal, political, and social identity. Students are interesting. Compact campus is easy to navig... Tue, 29 Apr 2014 04:12:16 GMT StudentsReview 199-107187 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-107187 199 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Class 1988 4th Year Neutral Berkeley is an outstanding college town. Great to be young and living in Berkeley and exploring your personal, political, and social identity. Students are interesting. Compact campus is easy to navigate. Great restaurants and neighborhoods in every direction. Student body is huge and, despite attempts to skew the truth, class sizes are enormous or if small then taught be grad students. You are a number and you will not be coddled. Little emphasis on teaching and learning because teachers have too many students. Very little individual feedback on writing, for example. In hindsight, I would have learned much better academic skills at a small liberal arts school. But, I met great friends and enjoyed the experience. And when I went it was only $650.00 per semester, so it was a good value. Tue, 29 Apr 2014 04:12:16 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html I started off as engineering, intending to go into EECS. You are given 40 hours of studying a week, be prepared to sacrifice sleep, socializing, fun things. You will find that Engineering is quite dif... Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:26:31 GMT StudentsReview 199-95798 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-95798 199 44 Criminal Male Undergraduate Class 2007 5th Year Neutral I started off as engineering, intending to go into EECS. You are given 40 hours of studying a week, be prepared to sacrifice sleep, socializing, fun things. You will find that Engineering is quite different than other majors and things going on campus, I would say take it seriously and be very independent, self-motivated, and don't rely on help to be given. A lot of students here know how to game the system and get good grades, be prepared for a major deflating of your ego and I would say don't try to stand out. You will get 30s/100s on exams, they will be curved. Math classes and science classes will be hard first two years, SERIOUSLY, to make it at Cal, you have to be one huge ASSHOLE. That's good advice, to put up with a lot of GSIs, fellow students,

Crowded lectures, lines at the RSF, and . DONT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT, wear the same clothes as everyone else, don't ask questions, Cal doesn't like people who ruffle up feathers, you're going to have to deal with a lot of hierarchy and bureaucracy here, a lot of time you see things are not indicative of ability, but ability to BS and navigate resources, win social approval, dress nice, be good looking, and athletic. That will win you points, don't smoke.

If you want girls, you have to be tall, good-looking, rich, and thin. If you are in Engineering, forget about it. I would say get that degree and focus on making money, seriously you are wasting your time trying to find a girl at Cal, wrong school. You have to be memorizing content, solving problems, doing problem-sets, that the next thing on your mind is to eat or sleep after 48 hours. Do things for yourself and don't rely on other people. Expect people to be rude and douchey big time at parties or even playing sports, I'll be honest Cal is very elitist, students from very rich families, high socioeconomic status, priviledged. If it doesn't seem like a cultural fit, you're going to suffer. There are some cool, open-minded friendly people now and then, but very self-absorbed and status-seeking in my personal opinion. You wont make much conversations out of the blue, and this is discouraged even.

People that come to Cal are focused on the prestige and want to get a job at Google, Goldman Sachs, McKinsey. Or to a medical school or good law school.

I don't know if people come here on this board to rant or if they had bad experiences, the "losers" of Cal. Oh yeah, and there are a lot of gay people here, no offense.
Focus on getting a good GPA (which is hard), securing research, and internships.

If your family has money, a private school would be better off for you.
Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:26:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Berkeley for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not b... Fri, 17 May 2013 10:51:48 GMT StudentsReview 199-93956 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-93956 199 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not be in a job related to my major, but it's because I decided to take two years off before grad school, and no position in classical archaeology or archaeological conservation accepts anything less than a Masters degree. And in response to all the people who claim that there isn't anything to do, that's just a result of them not looking hard enough. My first year I got involved in the campus radio station, KALX, which still plays music instead of talk radio, and I made a whole bunch of friends there. I also got really involved in the small Classics Department, where most of my classes had less than 30 people in them. My final year I joined the co-ops, and managed to live in one of the many NOT drug infested ones and had a blast. You don't have to just be an athlete or in a frat to find things to do. Cal also has a great study abroad program. Fri, 17 May 2013 10:51:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Berkeley for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html I hated it here and regret that I went here. Academically: I caught up eventually, but now realize i needed a little more handholding at 17 yrs old. No one helps you at all - the other comments are t... Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:05:17 GMT StudentsReview 199-92048 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-92048 199 3 Architecture Female Undergraduate Class 2000 5th Year Negative I hated it here and regret that I went here.
Academically: I caught up eventually, but now realize i needed a little more handholding at 17 yrs old. No one helps you at all - the other comments are true.
Socially: If you are a D1 bold athlete with money, you will be fine. If you are quieter and like smaller groups of mixed friends, good luck. You will be drinking alone.
The people here for the most part were so unfriendly and close minded , it really affected me. I would have gone to a smaller liberal arts school where I could be more of myself, and get more individual attention and guidance. This would be a GREAT place for grad school -undergrad is difficult.
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:05:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Cal has something for everyone and is a "people stretcher." It teaches you how to succeed outside your comfort zone. Biggest surprise is how accessable all the professors are and enjoy their interacti... Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:48:42 GMT StudentsReview 199-88579 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-88579 199 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2008 4th Year Neutral Cal has something for everyone and is a "people stretcher." It teaches you how to succeed outside your comfort zone. Biggest surprise is how accessable all the professors are and enjoy their interaction with undergraduates. It's not for everyone, but probably as interesting a college experience as you could possibly find. Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:48:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html