StudentsReview - The University of California Berkeley - Life at Berkeleyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Life at Berkeley - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about Berkeley for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html I don't know anyone at Berkeley who wouldn't choose to come here again. This school has so much to offer both academically and outside of the classroom. I know a lot of people are critical of the issu... Sun, 02 Nov 2014 02:36:36 GMT StudentsReview 199-152595 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-152595 199 57 Economics Male Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive I don't know anyone at Berkeley who wouldn't choose to come here again. This school has so much to offer both academically and outside of the classroom. I know a lot of people are critical of the issues Berkeley faces especially when it comes to budget issues- we don't have the kind of money here that you'd expect from a top private school- not all the buildings on campus are maintained perfectly, not every class has just 15 students to a teacher. But the way you're challenged here is amazing, and the community you experience exceeds expectations. Everyone here is passionate about something and it's so awesome.

If you're worried about fitting in at a big school, don't. When you're in a community at Berkeley, you find yourself running into people you know on campus constantly, to the point where the school doesn't feel that big at all.
Sun, 02 Nov 2014 02:36:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html I'm a transfer student and this is my second semester at Cal (Spring admit). I don't have a lot of time to finish my work and I've been taking a very long time anyway. I'm a non traditional student in... Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:11 GMT StudentsReview 199-152493 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-152493 199 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Neutral I'm a transfer student and this is my second semester at Cal (Spring admit). I don't have a lot of time to finish my work and I've been taking a very long time anyway. I'm a non traditional student in terms of age (i turned 25 this year because I took 3 years off after high school and took 3 years to finish my schoolwork at my community college) and in terms of having a learning disability (born with ADHD).
I was excited to start my Fall semester since I had already been here for a semester and I was determined to turn things around for myself--it's always been incredibly difficult for me to make friends because although I want to be sociable and feel like I'm extrovert, I can't handle social situations properly. Last semester I spent all day every day by myself, barely talking to anyone and being overwhelmed by how unfriendly people were in this city and school. My hometown is in southern California so it's not like I'm from a different country, but I had pretty bad culture shock when I got here.
I don't know why this school is so racially segregated and why everyone seems to only make friends with you if it would benefit them in some way. People would jostle you while walking around campus and not even say sorry, they would not even hold the door open for you even if you're walking 2mm behind them into the same building, and people are all in their own self absorbed world doing their own thing. It's like they have no common decency and seriously don't give a f*** if they think you're not worth their time.
I tried joining an organization and the people were still hostile and aloof, nobody ever wants to hang out or study together, and I'm literally going insane.
Aside from the campus, this city is run by horrible greedy people who only care about giving citations to starving students. What do they do with all that money? Renovate the homeless-ridden, run down, never-been-renovated-since-its-creation buildings and streets maybe? Nope. They hire 500 parking citation officers from morning till night to drive up and down the streets surrounding the campus.
Do the policemen ever control the amount of marijuana smoke wafting through the air 24/7 or try to control the crime rates? Nope. People could be blowing smoke at their faces and they just smile and walk past them, and forget controlling the muggings that go on. They have to make time to smoke the pot that they confiscated from the homeless.

If you're reading this, take my advice and steer clear from this school. It's only ranked #3 because of the great research that they do here but the education/atmosphere/environment SUCKS. I feel like my soul is being ripped to shreds with every waking moment at UC berkeley. If I weren't a transfer student and I had more time, I would transfer out of here in a heartbeat.
Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:57:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Berkeley is an outstanding college town. Great to be young and living in Berkeley and exploring your personal, political, and social identity. Students are interesting. Compact campus is easy to navig... Tue, 29 Apr 2014 04:12:16 GMT StudentsReview 199-107187 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-107187 199 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Class 1988 4th Year Neutral Berkeley is an outstanding college town. Great to be young and living in Berkeley and exploring your personal, political, and social identity. Students are interesting. Compact campus is easy to navigate. Great restaurants and neighborhoods in every direction. Student body is huge and, despite attempts to skew the truth, class sizes are enormous or if small then taught be grad students. You are a number and you will not be coddled. Little emphasis on teaching and learning because teachers have too many students. Very little individual feedback on writing, for example. In hindsight, I would have learned much better academic skills at a small liberal arts school. But, I met great friends and enjoyed the experience. And when I went it was only $650.00 per semester, so it was a good value. Tue, 29 Apr 2014 04:12:16 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Berkeley for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html I started off as engineering, intending to go into EECS. You are given 40 hours of studying a week, be prepared to sacrifice sleep, socializing, fun things. You will find that Engineering is quite dif... Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:26:31 GMT StudentsReview 199-95798 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-95798 199 44 Criminal Male Undergraduate Class 2007 5th Year Neutral I started off as engineering, intending to go into EECS. You are given 40 hours of studying a week, be prepared to sacrifice sleep, socializing, fun things. You will find that Engineering is quite different than other majors and things going on campus, I would say take it seriously and be very independent, self-motivated, and don't rely on help to be given. A lot of students here know how to game the system and get good grades, be prepared for a major deflating of your ego and I would say don't try to stand out. You will get 30s/100s on exams, they will be curved. Math classes and science classes will be hard first two years, SERIOUSLY, to make it at Cal, you have to be one huge ASSHOLE. That's good advice, to put up with a lot of GSIs, fellow students,

Crowded lectures, lines at the RSF, and . DONT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT, wear the same clothes as everyone else, don't ask questions, Cal doesn't like people who ruffle up feathers, you're going to have to deal with a lot of hierarchy and bureaucracy here, a lot of time you see things are not indicative of ability, but ability to BS and navigate resources, win social approval, dress nice, be good looking, and athletic. That will win you points, don't smoke.

If you want girls, you have to be tall, good-looking, rich, and thin. If you are in Engineering, forget about it. I would say get that degree and focus on making money, seriously you are wasting your time trying to find a girl at Cal, wrong school. You have to be memorizing content, solving problems, doing problem-sets, that the next thing on your mind is to eat or sleep after 48 hours. Do things for yourself and don't rely on other people. Expect people to be rude and douchey big time at parties or even playing sports, I'll be honest Cal is very elitist, students from very rich families, high socioeconomic status, priviledged. If it doesn't seem like a cultural fit, you're going to suffer. There are some cool, open-minded friendly people now and then, but very self-absorbed and status-seeking in my personal opinion. You wont make much conversations out of the blue, and this is discouraged even.

People that come to Cal are focused on the prestige and want to get a job at Google, Goldman Sachs, McKinsey. Or to a medical school or good law school.

I don't know if people come here on this board to rant or if they had bad experiences, the "losers" of Cal. Oh yeah, and there are a lot of gay people here, no offense.
Focus on getting a good GPA (which is hard), securing research, and internships.

If your family has money, a private school would be better off for you.
Mon, 09 Sep 2013 08:26:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Berkeley for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not b... Fri, 17 May 2013 10:51:48 GMT StudentsReview 199-93956 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 199-93956 199 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive Going to Cal definitely taught me how to be independent and self motivated. Because they certainly don't hold your hand, I had to take initiative when it came to looking for jobs. Sure I might not be in a job related to my major, but it's because I decided to take two years off before grad school, and no position in classical archaeology or archaeological conservation accepts anything less than a Masters degree. And in response to all the people who claim that there isn't anything to do, that's just a result of them not looking hard enough. My first year I got involved in the campus radio station, KALX, which still plays music instead of talk radio, and I made a whole bunch of friends there. I also got really involved in the small Classics Department, where most of my classes had less than 30 people in them. My final year I joined the co-ops, and managed to live in one of the many NOT drug infested ones and had a blast. You don't have to just be an athlete or in a frat to find things to do. Cal also has a great study abroad program. Fri, 17 May 2013 10:51:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCB_comments.html