StudentsReview - The University of California - Santa Barbara - Life at UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html Life at UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html I came into UCSB miserable that I wouldn't be attending my prestigious East Coast colleges because of cost, and after a year, I can really attest to the greatness of this school. It certainly has its ... Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:49:01 GMT StudentsReview 204-163441 204-163441 204 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive I came into UCSB miserable that I wouldn't be attending my prestigious East Coast colleges because of cost, and after a year, I can really attest to the greatness of this school. It certainly has its negatives, which include some uninspiring members of the student body who simply come here or (more often) transfer here to party, some large class sizes, and the lack of things to do in the surrounding area if you don't have a car. But besides that, my education has been pretty great, and I've only finished one year of GEs. I've yet to have a professor who hasn't innovated greatly in their field, and many have had previous posts at Berkeley, USC, and UCLA, and chose to come to SB because of the beautiful location and great faculty. For a school that isn't at all known or recognized for its accomplishments in the humanities (besides sociology), one minute of googling "ucsb political science faculty" will prove that nearly every professor has received their doctorate from Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, Princeton, etc. I'm studying Global Studies and was initially scared that UCSB is an engineering/science skill ill-fit for my major, but I've yet to have a class that wasn't incredibly insightful.
I occasionally struggled my freshman year with finding a good group of friends, since it seems really dependent on getting lucky with your freshman hall or joining greek life (oh-greek life is basically comprised of the most immature people of UCSB, and most other schools), but I've found a pretty good amount of interesting, smart, and friendly people.
The party reputation, as well as the danger of our community, are completely blown out of proportion and sensationalized by the media to get viewers/make headlines. I've attended many parties at SB, and many at Berkeley and UCLA when visiting friends, and I can honestly find little difference in the craziness of the party life. I've been at parties at SB where people discuss quantum mechanics over shots, and parties at UCLA where girls are doing cocaine off a bathroom sink. Berkeley frat parties are wilder than anything I've ever experienced at SB, since our past reputation has led to very strict enforcements on music that feel like curfews.
The thing I struggled with the most at SB has got to be the amount of pretentious people who like to make comments about the school's "inferiority" when compared to UCLA and Cal. These people tend not to do any research, and I can't find any tangible benefits to attending the more prestigious UCs, other than maybe a more competitive and driven student body. UCSB has some people who go on to Columbia and even Harvard law, Upenn for their MBA, and USC and UCLA for med school, but there are also a substantial amount of people without much drive or direction, and it's a wonder how those people were admitted. Then again, at any UC you're going to get some uninspiring and some inspiring people, since the quality of CA high schools varies so much. The valedictorian at one school may fail at Berkeley while the B student at another may have thrived there but never got in. Rare, but it happens.

Anyways, I didn't have the easiest freshman year and still find myself contemplating transferring to UCLA since all my friends attend there, but ultimately, UCSB is a beautiful, lovely community and place to attend school. Contrary to the beliefs of many suburban mothers and pretentious Ivy League grads, it is not a "joke" institution, and an SB degree is respected by academics and grad schools everywhere. Look at the Yale Law school incoming class profile. the three UCs from which students were admitted? UCLA, Berkeley, and UCSB. UCSB is the first biggest feeder school to UCLA Law, and I personally know two graduates headed to Georgetown for grad school next fall. UCSB will get you where you want to go (unless you want to be a Wall St mogul/investment banker-though some grads do work at Morgan Stanley!), and will give you a very enriching experience as you get there.

It's become increasingly difficult to get in, and UCSB now accepts only 32% of applicants. The Chancellor is well aware of the school's reputation, and is working actively to make the school more selective and more safe. It's a great investment.
Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:49:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html Hey Gauchos! If you're struggling to pay for college, check out this Youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPP05lWvseM... Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:00:43 GMT StudentsReview 204-162248 204-162248 204 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Positive Hey Gauchos! If you're struggling to pay for college, check out this Youtube video.

Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:00:43 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html I love this school so much! I did not plan on going to this school, nor was it on my list of choices (or top choices at that). I did not think that I would enjoy the school and I actually dreaded comi... Sat, 01 Nov 2014 04:32:18 GMT StudentsReview 204-152554 204-152554 204 50 Sociology Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive I love this school so much! I did not plan on going to this school, nor was it on my list of choices (or top choices at that). I did not think that I would enjoy the school and I actually dreaded coming but now that I am here, I feel at home. It is refreshing to go to a school where there are so many other intelligent individuals who are simply laid back and want to learn. I would suggest that you discipline yourself in setting aside time explicitly for studying. This place is so beautiful that all you want to do is soak up the sun and spend the day at the beach. Be prepared for rigorous academics and a whole lot of fun. This place will steal your heart! Sat, 01 Nov 2014 04:32:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html UCSB is literally the best choice you could make for school. I transferred here from another UC and can't imagine being anywhere else. I also turned down UCLA to come here, and might I say it was the ... Wed, 27 Aug 2014 04:09:47 GMT StudentsReview 204-121909 204-121909 204 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Positive UCSB is literally the best choice you could make for school. I transferred here from another UC and can't imagine being anywhere else. I also turned down UCLA to come here, and might I say it was the best decision I've made.

The atmosphere at UCSB is always upbeat and friendly, and you won't find anyone here that isn't happy and proud to be a Gaucho. You may have heard of UCSB students being really attractive.. and I can confidently say that the rumors are true. In addition, everyone you'll meet is super friendly, ambitious, and really smart. Some of the smartest people I've met are right here at UCSB. In other words, the people you meet here are the whole package. And they all "gaucho backs", a self-fulfilling motto amongst UCSB students.

The academics at UCSB are challenging but what else to expect from one of the top 50 universities in the nation? The professors that I've had are amazing and so far, every single one of them has expressed a strong desire to help every student here succeed. There is also a really huge start-up culture here. A lot of students are interested in entrepreneurialism, and take classes in the Technology Management Program, our equivalent to a business department. Engineering is also prestigious, as well as Global Studies, Psychology, Economics/Accounting, etc. Those are only a few amongst many highly reputable majors at UCSB. Students here are really ambitious, driven, and want each other to succeed. We take competitiveness to a different level by striving to be the best, but helping our fellow Gauchos get there too, hence we "Gaucho backs". You will ALWAYS be able to find someone that will help you out and be happy to study with you. One can say we know how to "work hard, play hard". Usually you only find one or the other at schools, but here, you get to experience both.

Isla Vista is the 1 square mile college town next to UCSB where all the students live. It is every college student's DREAM. And might I add, you are literally right next to the beach. Isla Vista is something you have to experience for yourself because there is nothing else like it out there. The only complaint a lot of students here have is when "out of towners" come into town and trash the place, cause riots, and disrespect our homes, especially during our fun annual events like Halloween and Deltopia. UCSB often takes the brunt of the blame by getting a bad "party" reputation, but people are misinformed. UCSB students are rarely associated with the crimes that get attention from the press. Despite what you might hear, Isla Vista is one of the most vibrant, beautiful, opportunity-filled communities you will ever live in.

This might all sound too good to be true. But UCSB is literally a fantasy college town. You won't find ANY other university like UCSB and fun college town like Isla Vista. If you want the ultimate, most fulfilling college experience while getting an extremely valuable education, it would be a big mistake not to choose UCSB.
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 04:09:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UCSB/UC-Santa Barbara for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html There are two reasons why you should choose UCSB: 1. You are a parent that wants to send you child to a fun, beautiful place to go to school. Where you won't have to worry about them phoning home... Tue, 12 Aug 2014 07:18:16 GMT StudentsReview 204-120010 204-120010 204 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2006 5th Year Negative There are two reasons why you should choose UCSB:

1. You are a parent that wants to send you child to a fun, beautiful place to go to school. Where you won't have to worry about them phoning home complaining about the lousy social scene.

2. You are a student with a very specific academic interest (think marine science), and you can begin working in a high powered lab on day one of school.

If your motivation in making this important decision is based on anything else, then look elsewhere.

About me: I spent seven years on campus, first on a full-ride academic and research scholarship and later teaching six different courses on TAships. I trained over 40 volunteer undergrads in research diving and these remarkable students volunteered over 4000 hours for my research.

Student Body: Very friendly students. Sure, there are your typical sub-groups of cliquish, wealthy students from LA or elsewhere. There is the hierarchical Greek system with its pecking order of frats and sororities. However, there is a big block of unaffiliated students who are great and love to get involved or just hang out.

Teaching: This is where UCSB is abysmal and perhaps worse than most major public universities. I met many professors and most were aloof and/or arrogant. They viewed teaching as a chore and were only interested in students to the extent they would be of personal assistance in the professor's research. Now, this is great if you are a student looking for easy entrance into a lab, but for most students they became very frustrated with the quality of their education. The quality of TAs is hit or miss. I received the school's most prestigious teaching award, but there is no training for the grad students who carry such a high burden of leading classes. There is this one pitiful story of a totally incompetent TA who just had students stare at each other in silence for 10 minutes because no one felt inspired to participate in the TA's discussion. At the risk of overgeneralizing, the professors see themselves on par with the faculty at the finest programs in the country (and in a few cases their research is equivalent or better), and are contemptuous of the student body which they see as no more intelligent than the students at directional state schools.

In conclusion, this is the place for you if you have a surf board and love the idea of carrying it to Campus Point in the morning for a few waves before class. If you are focused on your future and want the most for your money, stop reading this review and keep researching schools.
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 07:18:16 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/UCSB_comments.html