StudentsReview - Whittier College - Life at Whittier Copyright 2023 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html Life at Whittier - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Whittier for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html It was a great experience. You need to want to get involved like any other school.... Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:21:23 GMT StudentsReview 219-174338 219-174338 219 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Neutral It was a great experience. You need to want to get involved like any other school. Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:21:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Whittier for Sociologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html This is a small liberal arts school. I had the option of going to a few schools both private and public but something felt right about this campus. After I found out about this website I began to feel... Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:39:46 GMT StudentsReview 219-155468 219-155468 219 50 Sociology Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Neutral This is a small liberal arts school. I had the option of going to a few schools both private and public but something felt right about this campus. After I found out about this website I began to feel hesitant about WC. I thought I may have a bad experience but so far it has been great.I have met great people, the faculty has been extremely supportive, and the staff is very approachable. I never thought I would like this school as much as I do now. Everyone has a different experience and its what you make of the situation. The only thing I would change is the parking, we could use more of it and the dorms need to be upgraded. The food needs some upgrading as well. Over all, this school is pretty cool. Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:39:46 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Whittier for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html The few good students that WC recruits end up transferring somewhere else because WC is a terrible school. All the good students who go to WC regret coming here. If you can imagine all the worst high ... Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:52:49 GMT StudentsReview 219-105981 219-105981 219 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative The few good students that WC recruits end up transferring somewhere else because WC is a terrible school. All the good students who go to WC regret coming here. If you can imagine all the worst high school students dumped in one place, that's exactly what WC is like. The education is just like going to high school all over again. WC is always mistaken for a 2 year school or a 2 year trade school. In fact, you will get a far superior education at a local adult school or 2 year school. The teachers don't grade fairly. They will grade you based on if they like you. The sports teams are the lowest ranked, even within the Division 3. Do not go here. I cannot emphasize enough that WC is not a real college. It's more like a high school, only worse. The area surrounding WC is extremely unsafe. Even USC's is better. Don't come here or else you will regret it. Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:52:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Whittier for Mathhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html needs to challenging... Tue, 25 Feb 2014 04:58:05 GMT StudentsReview 219-102126 219-102126 219 23 Math Male Undergraduate Class 1960 2nd Year Neutral needs to challenging Tue, 25 Feb 2014 04:58:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Whittier for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html I have been waiting 5 years to write this review. I wanted to get through the entire 4 years to get a full ense on this school...&now that I have graduated, I have quite a lot to say: If you're th... Sat, 16 Nov 2013 01:47:33 GMT StudentsReview 219-97119 219-97119 219 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2012 4th Year Negative I have been waiting 5 years to write this review.

If you're thinking about applying to Whittier College, save your fee, your college essay & your time.
I URGE you.
Unless you're an athelete. Then, go right ahead, because you will be treated differently from everyone else.

As a high school senior, I recall being so so excited to attend such a 'different' college. Whittier packages itself as an 'out of the box' sort of school, which is total bullshit.

Whittier promises so much good, but is so so bad. Whittier promises to use LA as it's classroom, which is oh so different from other schools.... Yes, some professors do use LA to teach. People like Professor Carbine (the male) & Professor Holmes....but that's it, in my 4 years. A high number of professors simply use their textsbooks as their main way to teach. I don't know about you, but I can certainly read. I can easily go to a library, & check out the same book, & teach myself. I am not paying a ridiculous tuition (which raises each & every year to a crazier price) for some professor who's too lazy to actually engage students to teach me about 'cultural practices'. Learning at Whittier is THEORY based. I rarely ever got any hands on learning, as Whittier promises to so many students. If you enjoy sitting in a classroom, listening to a teacher read out of a book, leading meaningless class discussions, then this is the place for you! OH & VIDEOS. SO MANY DAMN VIDEOS. I have netflix, thanks. I am not in high school anymore. I am paying 40,000 dollars for someone to press the play button. I feel completley cheated, & am now kicking myself for choosing Whittier College.

You can ask many of it's students in their upper level classes. Many simply chose Whittier because of how much money was offered, but now wish they would've transferred.

Whittier also calls itself a 'hispanic serving instutuiton", so if you are of hispanic heritage, you too wil get treated great here!

If you're planning on coming to Whittier for an arts degree, move on, please! Save yourself. The art department doesn't offer very many classes, & the teachers are very unsupportive. Not 1 art professor came to my senior project in art...not 1. Thanks for the support! I found the art professors to be pretty close minded. If it wasn't what they liked, then you get a low grade. Definitley what art is all about....right?

The atheletics department get ALL of the money. They just got a brand new pool, a whole new gym, & all of the support from admin & it seems like the school. Even though we are a division III school, & we loose many of our competitions.
I have nothing against sports, as I was an athlete in High School, but it's ridiculous. I cannot tell you the lat time any of the arts got any sort of support from the school, besides a facebook status here & then. Not the music department, not the art department, & certainly not the theatre department.

I double majored in Art & Theatre Performance, so yes, I spent alot of my time in the arts. In fact, the only good thing I can say about the school is the theatre department was the only positive experience. Although small, at least the professors were supportive. Gil Gonzalez & Jennifer Holmes made my time at WC worthwhile. They at least used the actual Out of the box thinking that the school prides themselves on.

Don't even get me started on societies. They are the other ones who get alot of money, & alot of control. If you like exclusivity, & paying for friends, then please, join one of these societies! The paragonians are the only society, in my opinion, that are approachable & friendly. The others adore hazing, & lots & lots of drama 7 drinking. Isn't that what sisterhood & brotherhood is all about?!

This is a completley apathetic place. The business office doesn't really help anyone,ever & are often quite rude. The finanacial aid office doesn't care if you have to drop out, because they repeatedlytake away money to give it to who? oh, another incoming athelete. AWESOME. They may offer you a lot of money, but believe me, sophomore year, that will go away & your parents or whomever will have to pay more out of pocket. Not only that, but the tuition & student body have increased a ridiculous amount!
When I began at whittier, we were at 1300 students. It was great because our average class size was about 12-15. Now? They have surpassed 2000 students & are planning to accept more. In fact, they'd like to build a new dorm on one of the only parking lots we have....which means no more parking & fewer resources. GOOD LUCK.

Whittier College does not care about it's students, as a whole. They really just care about profit. Take the rock moving ten freaking feet for example. The administration rarely asks students what they would like done with the campus, or how they would like the school money to be spent.

& any support post graduation?! HAHAHA. The careeer planing service is a sorry excuse for a resource. If you're a business major, you've got plenty of opportunities. They never had any sort of internships/help for any sort of arts major. They certainly don't care after you graduate. Even if you beg them for some srot of lead on jobs, as I did. In fact, I never heard back from them.

The campus is pretty. I liked the theatre department, & I enjoy my work study. That's about it.

IT'S A SCAM.
Sat, 16 Nov 2013 01:47:33 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/WTC_comments.html