StudentsReview - The University of Connecticut - Life at UCONNhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html Life at UCONN - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCONN for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html I had the most amazing experience at UConn. I challenged myself to go back after receiving my undergraduate degree. I wanted to learn. And, I did. Had the best teachers and the best education.... Tue, 20 May 2014 03:50:01 GMT StudentsReview 255-108930 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 255-108930 255 79 Finance Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive I had the most amazing experience at UConn. I challenged myself to go back after receiving my undergraduate degree. I wanted to learn. And, I did. Had the best teachers and the best education. Tue, 20 May 2014 03:50:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCONN for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html UConn is a great school and keeps getting better. I just finished my freshmen year as a Materials Science and Engineering Major with a concentration in Nanotechnology and Ethics, with minors in Comput... Sun, 04 May 2014 07:50:42 GMT StudentsReview 255-107602 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 255-107602 255 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive UConn is a great school and keeps getting better. I just finished my freshmen year as a Materials Science and Engineering Major with a concentration in Nanotechnology and Ethics, with minors in Computer Science, Math, and Physics, so as you can imagine, I've been busy. But what I think really sets UConn apart from the other schools that I've seen my friends at is how much room there is to grow.
Let me elaborate.
There are so many opportunities to travel, do research, and do fun activities (skydiving club!) that are made possible because we are such a well funded and large campus. And all of these opportunities have the potential to land you in a leadership position that will look great on a resume. I love that part of UConn because I have really come out of my shell in college by getting involved around campus and as a result I am not a number in the system, I am a name that professors and department heads know because of how much I do in terms of academics, volunteer work, and community involvement.

A word of advice:
Anywhere you chose to go to school, you're going to have a miserable time if you do not get involved. You will just be a number in the system if you chose to go to college and just party on the weekends and study during the week, so I don't want to hear anyone complaining about that at UConn because well WHAT DID YOU EXPECT. UConn is becoming more and more competitive every year and with that, we are getting some of the brightest and most diverse people from around the region and beyond. If you want to stand out, then DO SOMETHING. The main complaints I've heard about UConn have been the night life (I will address in the next paragraph) and the lack of individual attention. This is college, no professor has the time to look through their tests to see who deserves a special pat on the back. If you want individual attention, GO ASK FOR IT. Show up to office hours and the professors will be more then happy to talk for as long as you'd like about whatever your little heart desires. Most people are just too nervous to ever do it.

NIGHT LIFE:
It's certainly lacking as a freshmen. With Greek life being big, if you're looking to party 3 nights a week, I would highly suggest joining a frat. You'll get the experience that you're looking for.
As a science major however, you may be left out of that scene, especially your freshmen year. Again, I think the key would be to get involved with some clubs and trips, you'll meet upperclassmen and other people who you can hang out on the weekends with, without having to trek all the way to party houses to get crammed into a basement with drunk people. That is just my experience though.

UCONN is an amazing school but you need to take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Say "Yes" to things you would normally say "No" to (that is not meant to be taken sexually). You'll see how easy it is to grow and have a great time doing it. Thanks for reading all this.
Sun, 04 May 2014 07:50:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCONN for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html I love UCONN! The school spirit is fantastic, the university is beautiful, and the biology program is exceptional and highly regarded. If I had to do it all again, I would choose UCONN, no doubt. The ... Mon, 14 Apr 2014 03:08:13 GMT StudentsReview 255-105941 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 255-105941 255 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I love UCONN! The school spirit is fantastic, the university is beautiful, and the biology program is exceptional and highly regarded. If I had to do it all again, I would choose UCONN, no doubt. The honors program is a great way of making attending sucha big school into a more personal experience. One piece of advice: it is occasionally difficult to get in touch with professors as they are often busy with research. Mon, 14 Apr 2014 03:08:13 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UCONN for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html The school is good for a good price for in state students, and somehow has a decent reputation in the business world. However, classes were a joke. As a finance major I am not supposed to say that. I ... Wed, 12 Mar 2014 02:48:41 GMT StudentsReview 255-103371 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 255-103371 255 79 Finance Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Negative The school is good for a good price for in state students, and somehow has a decent reputation in the business world. However, classes were a joke. As a finance major I am not supposed to say that. I didn't learn anything much, and I wasn't forced to either. There was always a way to do well because professors weren't engaging or challenging. Most everything UConn does, doesn't really make sense and they don't tend to take student opinion into account. A LOT of buildings need updating, more money apparently needs to be spent on hiring teachers, yet we drop millions for a "more aggressive" looking husky logo...... Wed, 12 Mar 2014 02:48:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UCONN for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html Today is March 6th, 2014. I graduated in May 2013 from UConn after the typical four year path. I deliberately held off on writing this review until it felt right. I started my job mid September 20... Thu, 06 Mar 2014 08:35:30 GMT StudentsReview 255-102825 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 255-102825 255 79 Finance Male Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Neutral Today is March 6th, 2014.

I graduated in May 2013 from UConn after the typical four year path. I deliberately held off on writing this review until it felt right. I started my job mid September 2013. I wanted to write this review after my immediate graduation aura had worn off and job expectations/anxiety weren't looming, but still from a standpoint where my UConn experience was relatively fresh in my mind.

In the interest of full disclosure:
I mainly went to UConn because my parents had set aside funds for college, and since I was faced with the financial choice of having my education largely or completely subsidized versus student loans in excess of $20,000 per year, I chose to go to UConn.

I do not regret going to UConn, it was a great experience. I didn't have to go to UConn. I wasn't forced to go to UConn. Do I think I could have enjoyed myself more had I gone to a different school? Probably. Do I think that attitude is influenced by the "rose colored glasses" or "could have, have should have, would have" mentality? Probably.

I say all of this because I remember the exact feeling I had when I was reading these reviews five years ago, trying to find guidance and commentary on what would be the largest step I had ever taken in my life. The excitement, the expectations, the sense of wonder and opportunity. I think back on that time fondly, you will too. I hope that this review is helpful.

I went into college thinking that there would be an unprecedented sense of camaraderie and shared sense of personal, fresh, new endeavor. In terms of making friends and academics. After all, as much as social growth is important, so is intellectual. It was that way to a certain extent, but those feelings and intentions were masked by the ever-present sense of social image and most succinctly, posturing. I made friends, and anybody who is reasonably sociable will too, the main point is that an effort must be made to connect with others. A key piece of advice is to "say yes" and see where your college experience takes you.

UConn is not the party school it was when I was applying. "Spring Weekend" is no longer a thing. My freshman year was the last "real" one, and I am grateful I got to experience it. That said, as a new student, you will still have fun and participate and all of the early college shenanigans I did. Freshman year is the time where most people meet their college-long friends so it's important that you make the most of it.

In terms of academics, to those who achieved good scores with the attitude that standardized testing is a easy, high school GPA was achieved by recognizing expectations and meeting them in the most efficient way, "bullshitting", some call it, you will find UConn is not all that challenging. You will have "easy A" classes, where simply showing up and doing manageable work results in a good grade. You will also have a few classes where you are truly challenged, and I liked that mix. I think it was healthy. I think it was beneficial.

As for the student body, a lot of people are into the University's sports teams. Even if you aren't into sports you may find yourself involuntary but genuinely enthralled. Drinking is a big part of UConn culture, and it was for me, but there are still numerous activities that are open to, and fun for people no matter what their stance on that kind of activity is.

UConn is a great place but can feel lonely at times, which is why establishing a group of friends and meeting friends of friends so that you can find like-minded people is so important. There is no shortage of opportunities to this end. Can the student body seem cliquey from the outside? Of course. I felt it, I know it's there. Even so, I find it hard to imagine a person couldn't find their place and be happy so long as they wish to and don't expect a picturesque experience to fall into their lap.

This review will not helpful to all or perhaps even most, but those who understand my approach I hope will glean something beneficial from it. Enjoy undergrad, is my final piece of advice. It's a wonderful time.
Thu, 06 Mar 2014 08:35:30 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html