StudentsReview - The University of Connecticut - Life at UConn Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html Life at UConn - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UConn for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html The Academic Advisor team consists of angry, negative old people, who are interested in only one thing - gossiping about students behind their backs! Not a single one of them is interested in actually... Tue, 29 Nov 2016 03:33:48 GMT StudentsReview 255-177046 255-177046 255 57 Economics Female Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Negative The Academic Advisor team consists of angry, negative old people, who are interested in only one thing - gossiping about students behind their backs! Not a single one of them is interested in actually advising. There is also an effeminate man, who is qualified but is very rude. The teachers are good, the advising staff must be kicked out and replaced with younger, energetic (not people from nursing homes) who are clear and ethical. UCONN - please do not use your advisors as pimps, please look after your professors, uphold academic standards and give capable students a chance to shine, this will help you earn more revenue. You don't have to turn into an greedy, desperate money-grabbing pig of an institution. Tue, 29 Nov 2016 03:33:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UConn for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html UConn wasn't my top choice of school, but I learned to love it, and up to this year I truly did love it here- but now its leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I'm seriously considering leaving because ... Thu, 22 Sep 2016 07:12:37 GMT StudentsReview 255-175816 255-175816 255 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Negative UConn wasn't my top choice of school, but I learned to love it, and up to this year I truly did love it here- but now its leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I'm seriously considering leaving because of the degradation of the social climate. To make a long story short, if you're looking for the "traditional college experience," if you are looking for a place for intellectual stimulation that will challenge your perception of the world, and/or aren't a progressive liberal turn and run away from UConn as fast as you can.

Social Life- The university has begun actively killing Greek life. They coerced the town into promoting exorbitant fines and passing ordinances that make off campus parties (the only actual parties left here) a death sentence to the hosts if they get busted. Without fail the police have busted every party this year before midnight- a significant change from even last spring. For a "traditional" social life, Greek life is pretty much all this university has, but that will be practically nonexistent by the time I graduate, or on its deathbed. There are now just two bars near campus (after a merger,) and they have just eliminated all 18+ events; they used to be a staple of campus social life. Pretty much all that remains on weekends are university promoted "late nights," (activities on weekends in the student union) to give students something to do outside of parties. Honestly, the turnout is poor and really the only reason people go is so they can hang out with their friends without risking getting in trouble for being loud or having too many people in their dorms. I've never met people that have gone just for the sake of participating in the activities. Aside from hanging out with friends in the dorms and going to a sporting event (that you have to buy tickets for), thats all there is to do here on the weekend.

Atmosphere- The university is trying to be progressive for the sake of having the claim to be the face of progressivism in universities. There is a significant amount of "social justice" activism on campus- not as bad as Mizzou, thankfully- but you definitely get the feeling that you don't quite fit in if you don't believe the same things; everybody just assumes that everyone else all thinks the same way. God help you if you are a Republican here, you are ostracized and frankly not welcome. Students won't hold back from telling you this either. As a political science student, I've seen no room for actual discussion of critical issues, and the university is quickly turning, if it isn't already, an echo-chamber of emotional coddling over pragmatic discussion. The only way your beliefs and perception of the world will be challenged is if you have right-of-center opinions. To give the professors credit, they present their information in a very non-partisan way, but due to the ideological makeup of the students, the tone of the discussion always shifts back to reflect the majority. The student government is particularly bad at this- they give thousands of dollars to left-wing speakers or activist groups, but will fight tooth-and-nail to prevent any "right wing" speakers to come to campus, even for the sake of balance and political diversity that any respectable institution should promote.

Administration- The board of directors and administration are woefully incompetent. They are expanding enrollment faster than they can provide housing for, and thus are forcing more and more students to live in the surrounding town, which they are certainly not happy about. They make poor decisions with the companies that they give contracts to, and because of this no construction ever gets finished within the timeframe that they claim, often at an increased expense.
Thu, 22 Sep 2016 07:12:37 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UConn for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html My experience art UConn was mixed. Academically, everything was fine. The classes were challenging and the professors were helpful more often than not. Socially, it was tough for a couple reasons. Fir... Sun, 13 Dec 2015 10:51:34 GMT StudentsReview 255-172048 255-172048 255 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral My experience art UConn was mixed. Academically, everything was fine. The classes were challenging and the professors were helpful more often than not. Socially, it was tough for a couple reasons. First, I was the sole golf-loving "prep" from Fairfield County at UConn in the 1980's. Second, I transferred from a Midwestern school to UConn for my junior year and by then it seemed everyone had established friendships and cliques. It's interesting to note that I was in the 67th percentile of my class year with 1200 SAT's (620 verbal, 580 math). Those same scores today would put me about the 33rd percentile. That shows you how competitive UConn has become in the last 30 years. Sun, 13 Dec 2015 10:51:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about UConn for Animal Studieshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html If you are going to UCONN, just recognize that it is a big school and its way easy to get lost in the crowd. If you dont fight for yourself, you will not do well. Look at the resources on campus. t... Thu, 05 Nov 2015 01:10:15 GMT StudentsReview 255-171645 255-171645 255 45 Animal Studies Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Advice If you are going to UCONN, just recognize that it is a big school and its way easy to get lost in the crowd. If you dont fight for yourself, you will not do well.

Look at the resources on campus. there is a mental health center and you should totally take advantage of that. There are people there to help you study in the Library. Just be aware of the help that is offered because I wasn't and it kind of messed me up.

Find friends that are willing to help support you academically as its one of those schools where the professors aren't there to baby you. Help each other out and you'll be better for it. Don't allow people to bring you down, cause you will fall HARD.

I know a lot of people say "its what you make of it" but in relation to UCONN that sounds about right. There is lots going on at any given moment but don't forget about the school work.

In terms of the Animal Science program, it's difficult for a reason, but it can also be way of fun. I mean, who else gets to train livestock? If you aren't goal oriented in this program though, its gonna plow you over. Polish your math and science skills because you are going to need it. And please go to class and actually take notes!! You really miss things when browsing on Facebook. These teachers are somewhat flexible but still they expect you to get your stuff together and keep up.

Somehow of few of these kids have managed to be party people
and still keep good grades, but honestly it isn't beneficial. They tend to crash and burn real fast.

Just use common sense y'all and good luck!

Good luck either way!
Thu, 05 Nov 2015 01:10:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UConn for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html I graduated in 1993 and I'm filling this out in 2015, so my experience is dated. I still feel that the people I met in college have had a huge influence on the way that I think. I don't work in a fie... Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:15:21 GMT StudentsReview 255-171487 255-171487 255 54 Communications Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive I graduated in 1993 and I'm filling this out in 2015, so my experience is dated. I still feel that the people I met in college have had a huge influence on the way that I think. I don't work in a field directly related to my major, but I still benefit from many of the classes I took and the interactions I had with others. I certainly recommend college in general and UConn is a great place to attend. Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:15:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html