StudentsReview - The University of Connecticut - Life at UConn Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html Life at UConn - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UConn for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html I know without questioon that I should have attended a different college. UConn was the worst choice for me academically and socially. My potential was squashed by a distandt, uncaring faculty and hug... Thu, 08 Dec 2016 08:52:01 GMT StudentsReview 255-177264 255-177264 255 15 Education Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Neutral I know without questioon that I should have attended a different college. UConn was the worst choice for me academically and socially. My potential was squashed by a distandt, uncaring faculty and huge, impersonal tests. Campus life was all about parties and horrible behavior with an occasional concert or trip to the small art museum. I feel cheated out of a sustaining, positive college experience even to this day. UConn left me very bitter and I worked very hard there. It was an inhumane environment that robbed my soul of joy and excitement. I regret going there but was forced to by a parents who wanted their taxes paid to this state to amount to something. All those taxes paid all those decades did not pay off--it was an awful educational experience and I regret it tremendously. I am someone who had potential to soar and I was crushed by this mill of an institution. Thu, 08 Dec 2016 08:52:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about UConn for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html Be very sure that you want to attend a huge university. Things can be very impersonal here and it is easy to feel like a number not a person. When my dorm mate was killed by a driver speeding through ... Thu, 08 Dec 2016 08:26:40 GMT StudentsReview 255-177263 255-177263 255 15 Education Female Undergraduate Class 1920 4th Year Advice Be very sure that you want to attend a huge university. Things can be very impersonal here and it is easy to feel like a number not a person. When my dorm mate was killed by a driver speeding through campus as she crossed the street (195), her parents were sent a bill for her room key. That is how very cold and impersonal this place can be. Be sure that you will be comfortable around a lot of parties and all that rowdiness as there is a lot of it. How some people became successful after the life they led at UConn is beyond my comprehension. Maybe they just grew up eventually. I was very disappointed in the large classes and the lack of creativity and enthusiasm in academics. Except for a few creative professors--everything was rote and textbooks were dry and not even appropriate to the subject. You sometimes have to buy the textbook the professors wrote. A lot depends on what college you are in or what major you choose as some departments are better than others. I was treated very badly by professors in the College of Education and later went on to earn a master's degree in education at a smaller university. I graduated at the top of my class and my professors not only knew my name--they knew me and what my potential was. It is easy to get lost at UConn. If you go here--be open to making new friends and having as many new expereinces as you can--there are resources at the school---but you will have to find them on your own. Private school this is not. Thu, 08 Dec 2016 08:26:40 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UConn for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html The Academic Advisor team consists of angry, negative old people, who are interested in only one thing - gossiping about students behind their backs! Not a single one of them is interested in actually... Tue, 29 Nov 2016 03:33:48 GMT StudentsReview 255-177046 255-177046 255 57 Economics Female Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Negative The Academic Advisor team consists of angry, negative old people, who are interested in only one thing - gossiping about students behind their backs! Not a single one of them is interested in actually advising. There is also an effeminate man, who is qualified but is very rude. The teachers are good, the advising staff must be kicked out and replaced with younger, energetic (not people from nursing homes) who are clear and ethical. UCONN - please do not use your advisors as pimps, please look after your professors, uphold academic standards and give capable students a chance to shine, this will help you earn more revenue. You don't have to turn into an greedy, desperate money-grabbing pig of an institution. Tue, 29 Nov 2016 03:33:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UConn for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html UConn wasn't my top choice of school, but I learned to love it, and up to this year I truly did love it here- but now its leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I'm seriously considering leaving because ... Thu, 22 Sep 2016 07:12:37 GMT StudentsReview 255-175816 255-175816 255 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Negative UConn wasn't my top choice of school, but I learned to love it, and up to this year I truly did love it here- but now its leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I'm seriously considering leaving because of the degradation of the social climate. To make a long story short, if you're looking for the "traditional college experience," if you are looking for a place for intellectual stimulation that will challenge your perception of the world, and/or aren't a progressive liberal turn and run away from UConn as fast as you can.

Social Life- The university has begun actively killing Greek life. They coerced the town into promoting exorbitant fines and passing ordinances that make off campus parties (the only actual parties left here) a death sentence to the hosts if they get busted. Without fail the police have busted every party this year before midnight- a significant change from even last spring. For a "traditional" social life, Greek life is pretty much all this university has, but that will be practically nonexistent by the time I graduate, or on its deathbed. There are now just two bars near campus (after a merger,) and they have just eliminated all 18+ events; they used to be a staple of campus social life. Pretty much all that remains on weekends are university promoted "late nights," (activities on weekends in the student union) to give students something to do outside of parties. Honestly, the turnout is poor and really the only reason people go is so they can hang out with their friends without risking getting in trouble for being loud or having too many people in their dorms. I've never met people that have gone just for the sake of participating in the activities. Aside from hanging out with friends in the dorms and going to a sporting event (that you have to buy tickets for), thats all there is to do here on the weekend.

Atmosphere- The university is trying to be progressive for the sake of having the claim to be the face of progressivism in universities. There is a significant amount of "social justice" activism on campus- not as bad as Mizzou, thankfully- but you definitely get the feeling that you don't quite fit in if you don't believe the same things; everybody just assumes that everyone else all thinks the same way. God help you if you are a Republican here, you are ostracized and frankly not welcome. Students won't hold back from telling you this either. As a political science student, I've seen no room for actual discussion of critical issues, and the university is quickly turning, if it isn't already, an echo-chamber of emotional coddling over pragmatic discussion. The only way your beliefs and perception of the world will be challenged is if you have right-of-center opinions. To give the professors credit, they present their information in a very non-partisan way, but due to the ideological makeup of the students, the tone of the discussion always shifts back to reflect the majority. The student government is particularly bad at this- they give thousands of dollars to left-wing speakers or activist groups, but will fight tooth-and-nail to prevent any "right wing" speakers to come to campus, even for the sake of balance and political diversity that any respectable institution should promote.

Administration- The board of directors and administration are woefully incompetent. They are expanding enrollment faster than they can provide housing for, and thus are forcing more and more students to live in the surrounding town, which they are certainly not happy about. They make poor decisions with the companies that they give contracts to, and because of this no construction ever gets finished within the timeframe that they claim, often at an increased expense.
Thu, 22 Sep 2016 07:12:37 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UConn for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html My experience art UConn was mixed. Academically, everything was fine. The classes were challenging and the professors were helpful more often than not. Socially, it was tough for a couple reasons. Fir... Sun, 13 Dec 2015 10:51:34 GMT StudentsReview 255-172048 255-172048 255 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral My experience art UConn was mixed. Academically, everything was fine. The classes were challenging and the professors were helpful more often than not. Socially, it was tough for a couple reasons. First, I was the sole golf-loving "prep" from Fairfield County at UConn in the 1980's. Second, I transferred from a Midwestern school to UConn for my junior year and by then it seemed everyone had established friendships and cliques. It's interesting to note that I was in the 67th percentile of my class year with 1200 SAT's (620 verbal, 580 math). Those same scores today would put me about the 33rd percentile. That shows you how competitive UConn has become in the last 30 years. Sun, 13 Dec 2015 10:51:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/CT/UC_comments.html