StudentsReview - American University - Life at AUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html Life at AU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about AU for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html I want to follow up a previous review that I made about AU. When I was wrongly evicted from the dorm at AU in 1997, I received the following response from The Housing Dept signed by Julie Weber: ... Tue, 15 Apr 2014 01:29:47 GMT StudentsReview 261-105951 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 261-105951 261 32 Philosophy Male Undergraduate Class 1997 2nd Year Negative I want to follow up a previous review that I made about AU.

"For 'reasons of confidentiality', I will not discuss,the client's, case with you. American University is firmly committed to a policy of non-discrimination, including compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act."

First of all, I would like to reply to this letter now, so that prospective students might understand a little more about why I was evicted from my dorm, and how this action violated my rights.
First of all, the University does not care about confidentiality nor privacy. They ransacked my room while I was in the hospital. They accused me of "ritualistic behavior" for having a "crucifix," in my room. So, I take it, that practicing your faith is "ritualistic" and therefore against the rules. This was also never discussed at all with me nor my attorney.

Also, I did nothing wrong while I was at the Dorms. I was a diligent student with a B+ average.

I was successfully treated at a hospital for a brief stay while in between semesters, and this should have been a private situation handled between me and my doctors.

Instead, the administration handed down a self-autonomous decision to evict me from my room. In addition Ms. Weber, and the administration did so in a dismissive and arrogant fashion, as demonstrated by their terse, unapologetic, correspondence.
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 01:29:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about AU for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html If I had the chance to redo it I would.... While American University looks great on paper (and they will try to sell you on tours), once you get here, it couldn't be any different. Everyone here is st... Mon, 10 Mar 2014 04:30:15 GMT StudentsReview 261-103140 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 261-103140 261 15 Education Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative If I had the chance to redo it I would.... While American University looks great on paper (and they will try to sell you on tours), once you get here, it couldn't be any different. Everyone here is stuck up, pretentious and socially inept. If you want to be a Political Science or International Relations major- great. If not, don't come here. All the money, time and attention goes to those two programs. You'll often be forgotten about if you want to study anything else. Basically, you'll be wasting 60,000+ a year on nothing. The school gives no financial aid. The dorms suck. The food is disgusting (just last week one of the on campus food vendors got closed by the health department for MULTIPLE health violations), there is absolutely NO sense of community. If you are looking for a school where students interact and there are activities on campus- this is NOT the school for you. No one goes to sporting games, no one proudly wears AU gear. You feel as if you are going to a commuter school because no one interacts with one another, and god forbid the university plan any on campus activities. The school is 70/30 (female to male) though they will try and round that number to 60/40 but ITS NOT. You will feel as if you are going to an all girls school. Speaking of the girls that go here....there are only three types. 1. Crazy, slutty party girl who can't string together a sentence, and you're left wondering how the heck they got in here. 2. Can't function in society- weird, beyond weird. 3. Extreme feminists who believe they're going to be the next Obama, and refuse to talk about anything else. I'm all for women's rights but these are the EXTREME. the crazy extreme. If you are a normal down to earth girl, good luck meeting anyone sane.
Also, you think you'll be close to the city.... the shuttle is never on time, it takes 25 minutes just to get to the Tenleytown Metro (you're better off walking), and so by the time you get into the city, you've exhausted almost an hour.
Basically, the kids that couldn't get into Georgetown come here (I have no problem admitting I didn't have the grades for Georgetown). However, people here act as if they're better then Georgetown kids, and are extremely pretentious and think they're the best thing to ever happen. Hint: If you were Ivy material and as smart as you were, you'd be at Georgetown and not here at AU.
Essentially, AU is a corrupt place that is only interested in taking your money and couldn't care less about their students. You are simply a number here. They simply present a facade on tours, that couldn't be further from the truth. Save your money, and go somewhere else. I'll be transferring next fall, and this semester couldn't end sooner.
Mon, 10 Mar 2014 04:30:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about AU for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html Pefect Washington Mentorship Programm... Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:54:17 GMT StudentsReview 261-96638 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 261-96638 261 32 Philosophy Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Pefect Washington Mentorship Programm Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:54:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about AU for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html American University gives you so many oppurtunitys! The professor are great and you cant beat being in DC. Overall American University is an up and coming school and the rankings are getting better a... Fri, 15 Mar 2013 05:47:20 GMT StudentsReview 261-92591 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 261-92591 261 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive American University gives you so many oppurtunitys! The professor are great and you cant beat being in DC. Overall American University is an up and coming school and the rankings are getting better and better.

COME TO AU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ONCE AN EAGLE ALWAYS AN EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 05:47:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about AU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html A quick comment, I cant comment on the current state of academics at AU, but I want perspective students to do their due diligence regarding internships and career counseling. I found both to be extr... Mon, 11 Feb 2013 05:31:59 GMT StudentsReview 261-91954 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 261-91954 261 54 Communications Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative A quick comment, I cant comment on the current state of academics at AU, but I want perspective students to do their due diligence regarding internships and career counseling. I found both to be extremely lacking. See if you can find reviews on your potential faculty advisor as well. Pepper Career Services with questions about where you can intern, dont just except, their are so many choices, get specifics. Get a current list of opportunities. I had to hunt for mine on my own. My program was fine and IS is very good, but you have to be able to get somewhere with it when you leave. In the end I got an MA in something entirely different, received some highly valuable guidance from a grad professor and things turned out okay. But noone at AU guided me into what I needed to do. Like I said do your due diligence if it sounds off then chose a different school because you are paying a heap of money that you need to convert into a good career. Mon, 11 Feb 2013 05:31:59 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DC/AU_comments.html