StudentsReview - The University of Delaware - Life at UDelaware Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html Life at UDelaware - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UDelaware for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html After spending 4 years here, I can confirm that this experience has been more negative than positive. Starting off with the pros, I have enjoyed most of my professors here and found many of the classe... Sun, 07 May 2017 01:47:03 GMT StudentsReview 272-179742 272-179742 272 58 Political Science Female Undergraduate Class 1921 1st Year Negative After spending 4 years here, I can confirm that this experience has been more negative than positive. Starting off with the pros, I have enjoyed most of my professors here and found many of the classes to be intellectually stimulating. The majority of the faculty hold PHD's and are extremely knowledgeable on their subject matter. The housing for freshman is really nice and there are many great places to live off campus. There is also a lot to do in Newark, many places to eat, lots of bars, and many different organisations to get involved in. However, there are way too many cons that should make bright/motivated students avoid this school like the plague. Academically, the career centre and advisement (especially for poli-sci students) is a joke. My advisor suddenly vanished my 2nd semester of my freshman year and I was on my own to figure out my classes. You're also on your own to find a job, if you're not attending law school which is a portion of the class. As for the social aspects, do not attend this school if your not someone who wants to be in Greek life. You will feel isolated and many people, whom you could see yourself being friends with, will not interact with you from the start if you're not planning on being in a fraternity/sorority. These people will act above you 99% of the time for no good apparent reason if you're not into the party scene. The bars are a lot of fun, but you have to wait until your 21 to be a part of it. Also, expect to still be surrounded by fraternity guys/sorority girls who act like they 16 at grottos or townies who give you the creeps at Kates/Rooneys/Deer Park. All in all, this student body has a terrible attitude towards one another. Many lack a basic understanding of manners, like please and thank you when holding the door for one another. I would blame the majority of the schools problems on Greek life. Guys strive to be d-bags here and girls strive to be catty. It is a really strange environment, which also includes odd townies which makes Newark pretty dangerous. But if you like partying and are not extremely academically motivated, this school could be the right place for you. Filled with average people who act like they are doing way above average things. In reality, they're just getting drunk and going to "dages"/"grottos"/frat parties. Sun, 07 May 2017 01:47:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UDelaware for Accountinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html I was extremely hesitant coming to UD. Financially, it was my best option but definitely not my first choice. However, it has absolutely been the best decision and I would without a doubt choose Del... Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:23:54 GMT StudentsReview 272-176903 272-176903 272 1 Accounting Female Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Positive I was extremely hesitant coming to UD. Financially, it was my best option but definitely not my first choice. However, it has absolutely been the best decision and I would without a doubt choose Delaware a million times more. Not only have I met some of the most genuine, incredible, and motivated people here, I have also been fortunate enough to have some of the best professors who sincerely care about me and my time at UD.
Is there a drinking culture here? Sure, but I hate to be the one to break the news that most universities have alcohol/drug problems. Our campus may not be 100% safe all the time, but to think that any college campus, actually anywhere in general, is 100% safe is ridiculous. Campus Safety does their best and we have no more security issues than any other university in the country.
I truly do believe that anyone and everyone can find their place at UD. Greek life here is not as prevalent as you might think it is. It certainly can be your whole world if you want it to, but it's much more relaxed than at other schools and most Greeks are heavily involved in other clubs/organizations. Diversity is certainly not lacking in the slightest and students at Delaware come from all different backgrounds.
Delaware has so many opportunities to get involved and succeed academically. I consider this school the hidden gem of the east coast because it truly is one of the best. I absolutely cannot put my love for this school into words so the only way to see how great it really is is to see for yourself!
Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:23:54 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UDelaware for Public Policyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html UD is a great school academically but socially if you are not an upper middle class attractive person from wealthy east coast city suburbs that is interested in Greek life, it is very hard to find a p... Sat, 13 Feb 2016 09:51:53 GMT StudentsReview 272-172728 272-172728 272 65 Public Policy Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Neutral UD is a great school academically but socially if you are not an upper middle class attractive person from wealthy east coast city suburbs that is interested in Greek life, it is very hard to find a place to fit in. Personally being from the Midwest, people here are much more standoffish and self centered than I am used to. Everyone is the same and wants to do the same thing. If you like going to bars/clubs or if you aren't involved in Greek life nightlife is very dull and it is hard to find people like you. It is nice that we are near so many cities, but besides places to eat and suburban neighborhoods Newark is lacking in cultural and social establishments. Overall I love the school, but the atmosphere really gets me down sometimes, and I wish there was more diversity. Sat, 13 Feb 2016 09:51:53 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UDelaware for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html Overall, the university has some good and bad points. The good things would be the quality of education I have received in the courses I have taken. I started out as a biochemistry major, but switche... Fri, 12 Feb 2016 08:29:09 GMT StudentsReview 272-172720 272-172720 272 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Neutral Overall, the university has some good and bad points.
The good things would be the quality of education I have received in the courses I have taken. I started out as a biochemistry major, but switched to biology. The professors I had were knowledgeable and most seemed to want to help you and were very helpful. There were/are many opportunities to receive help, such as help sessions and group tutoring. The professors look forward to students attending office hours. I feel like the classes that matter (science and major courses) are challenging and insightful and the elective courses are easy if you pick the right ones. The clubs and sports are a good way to spend some free time. Not all clubs are super active, so don't get your hopes up during activities night about some of them. If you are a part of club sports, its like a cult, but not really in a bad way as long as you like to party a little. Frats and sororities are the same, but you have to be into that type of thing. The academic frats are not as party heavy, but still do have that element. During the weekends, the university started a new program to keep students from drinking. They have special events or performers every Friday and Saturday. The town of Newark has some neat restaurants, but not much else to do until you are of legal drinking age or have a mode of transportation.
With the good, there is also the bad. The actual life outside of the classroom is rather terrible. I lived on campus my first semester and it was absolutely horrible. I would find vomit in the bathroom about three times a week and would be kept up till at least two in the morning. Many students would go to frat houses during the week to get trashed because they couldn't go to bars. The halls and study spaces in the dorms were always disgusting. The students were all rich, white kids, or just rich kids in general, that did not know how to act as human beings. I moved off my second semester because it was impossible to live in that environment, but I was still stuck paying for the dorm even though I do not live there. The worst of them all was the honors program. DO NOT APPLY TO THE HONORS PROGRAM!! All it is basically is a bunch of of extra work and a bunch of hoops to jump through just to have your GPA come to a 3.399 and it was all a waste; no honors degree for you. Not to mention the honors program staff are extremely rude and encourage you to drop the program every time you speak with them. I would also not recommend this college for a degree that may not have a career with a high income associated. The out of state cost is ridiculous. If I did not receive financial aid and the scholarships, I would not be going here.
If you are a rich kid who likes to party and is into science, such as chemistry or biology, University of Delaware is absolutely perfect for you. If not, you may have a tough time, but it's not absolutely horrible. The main reason you are going to college is to get a degree, and I believe you would be satisfied with the professors at the University of Delaware. I have personally considered transferring multiple times, but I decided to see how my sophomore year goes. As long as the education is still of good quality, I will stay.
Fri, 12 Feb 2016 08:29:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about UDelaware for Physical Therapy/Exercise Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html i had terrible luck and wound up with bad profs for almost every class i took, but you cant expect much else because freshman get such low priority. there are a lot of underachievers at this school...... Tue, 26 Jan 2016 04:44:32 GMT StudentsReview 272-172510 272-172510 272 74 Physical Therapy/Exercise Science Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Advice i had terrible luck and wound up with bad profs for almost every class i took, but you cant expect much else because freshman get such low priority. there are a lot of underachievers at this school... freshman dorms SUCK. at other schools the dorms are larger and have less people AND if you are in a forced triple they compensate you, not at UD. the party life is very good if you like frat parties but there is almost nothing else. the girls are really attractive. biggest problem is that there are too few minorities... coming from a white guy. its about 75% white. if you're interested in physical therapy the STAR campus is the premier facility in the nation and UD's pt grad school is phenomenal, however, almost none of the undergrads at UD are accepted into their grad program because it is so selective and so prestigious. in other words i would advise against it. after one year, i am transferring because it is not the right fit for me. Tue, 26 Jan 2016 04:44:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/DE/UD_comments.html