StudentsReview - Florida International University - Life at FIU Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html Life at FIU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about FIU for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html FIU was awesome. I got my engineering degree from FIU and I am proud to say that. Are UF, FSU, UM any better? i don't think so. calculus is calculus no matter where you take it, meaning the education ... Sat, 08 Oct 2016 12:43:14 GMT StudentsReview 284-176130 284-176130 284 24 Mechanical Engineering Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive FIU was awesome. I got my engineering degree from FIU and I am proud to say that. Are UF, FSU, UM any better? i don't think so. calculus is calculus no matter where you take it, meaning the education is the same.

I read a lot comments here complaining about how classes are difficult, well any class is difficult if you don't put in the time. Many people transfer from a community college and think going to a university will be the same as to a CC, and it is not. You wont get many chances, you may only get 3 exams and call it good, but that is part of life. I'm currently attending MIT, and guess what? it is no different than FIU. People have to study no matter what! again, calculus is calculus whether is taught at FIU or at MIT. In other words, don't blame the school or the teacher.

I also read many people complaining on how people are rude, mean and not friendly, you will find this kind of people everywhere. Yes, some people were not very friendly, but my point has always been, why am i going to school for? to make friends or study? make studying a priority and you will see the difference. Also, in any major city such as Miami, NYC, LA, DC, you will find the same kind of people. Move out to the middle of nowhere, and you will most likely find a little "nicer" people.

Disorganize, maybe, but what department isn't? there is always going to be disorganization. I'm currently attending a top notch school, and guess what? even MIT is disorganize! yes you read that right, disorganize. They use a system call Piazza, and it has been quite challenging. i don't think they ran a beta test before using piazza with a large size of people, and it wasn't very organize. My point is that no matter what school you go to, there is always going to be some sort of disorganization. You just have to do some extra research and be prepared that's all, don't blame the school..i could blame MIT for my lack of sleep trying to figured out this piazza thing, but i don't i just find a different approach and a different way to make it work for me.

Quality of learning, I learned a lot because i wanted to learn. The professors were a hit and miss, some were really good, some not so good, but that never stop me from grabbing a book and finding other methods to learn. Some professor went above and beyond to help me understand the material.

Overall - FIU was a very good school, a young public university who is slowly making its mark in the US. Is not as old and established like FSU or UF, nonetheless the education is no different than the schools mention above.
Sat, 08 Oct 2016 12:43:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about FIU for Engineering Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html It shocks me to come on here and read so many negative reviews about FIU. I have seriously enjoyed the time I've spent here and I feel that I am being challenged and forced to think critically. I have... Tue, 16 Aug 2016 07:07:04 GMT StudentsReview 284-174960 284-174960 284 61 Engineering Department Male Undergraduate Class 2018 3rd Year Positive It shocks me to come on here and read so many negative reviews about FIU. I have seriously enjoyed the time I've spent here and I feel that I am being challenged and forced to think critically. I have made a ton of new friends and have also kept in contact with high school friends. I really do think that if you are not meeting new people it is on you. I always feel like I have people to hang out with at school, during the weekend, work out with, and most importantly study with. A lot of people complain that they are not finding new friends but those are the same people that go home right after class. I have also noticed people studying easier subjects do not make as many new friends. If you study something difficult and spend time studying on campus I promise you will make new friends. I spend almost everyday and even most weekends on campus for the entire day. There is always something to do, especially when you're taking school seriously and spending time studying and getting involved. I also work on campus as a mathematics tutor so that has helped me to meet people and spend more time on campus too. There are tons of clubs and organizations to be involved with.

I really do think that what you put in it is what you'll get out of coming to FIU. I have spent a lot of time at the UF campus too because of an ex girlfriend that goes there. I found it interesting to compare how different things were and have concluded that both are good schools. She was also studying engineering and often told me she wondered what it would be like if she had come to FIU and did not always feel satisfied living in Gainesville. I would sometimes get intensely curious about what it would have been like to move out of Miami and attend FSU or UF but I have realized that I am okay coming here.

I noticed a lot of comments on here too about the overwhelming population of the school being Hispanic and rude. Although most people are Hispanic, I do not see how that is really a problem.. I think many of those people making these comments already had a negative attitude coming into this school in the first place and are just finding reasons to hate it. I have met a ton of ambitious and bright people at this school. Do not let the negative attitudes of some tell you otherwise.

I have had many difficult but fair professors. Studying engineering at any school will not be easy. Here I think my professors try their best to help me and I feel that I am genuinely learning the material and opening my mind up.

At FIU I feel that the staff has done as much as they can to help me. The financial aid office cooperates well with me and my adviser has been extremely sweet and helpful. I have made friends with some of my professors too. Everyday I get emails about job opportunities and I can really feel that my school is trying to help me become employed when I graduate and help me find internships while I am here. I have made friends from many walks of life. The campus itself is absolutely gorgeous. There are tons of places to eat and hang out and even to this day I still stare at the buildings in enjoyment. I enjoy having Brickell and South Beach nearby and I feel that I can enjoy it without it becoming a giant distraction. Know that FIU is not a bad choice but I will admit that it is of course not the best. Good luck with whatever you choose and remember that you are in charge of making your time well spent, regardless of what school you decide to attend.
Tue, 16 Aug 2016 07:07:04 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about FIU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html This school can't even be bothered to answer an email, let alone actually teach students. I mean it's so obvious its just all about the money I was dismissed like a dog when I was rotting away with a ... Thu, 04 Aug 2016 04:06:34 GMT StudentsReview 284-174684 284-174684 284 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative This school can't even be bothered to answer an email, let alone actually teach students. I mean it's so obvious its just all about the money I was dismissed like a dog when I was rotting away with a disease off and on hospitals and when I tried to come back they just made it so hard and weird..I gave up. Now I'm reading all the emails I exchanged with teachers back then and wow are they arrogant, non helpful and just strangely disengaged.There's nothing that can make me go back to this awful institution. If you cannot even answer some simple questions there's no reason to stay around for the complicated solutions. They just don't care, period. Thu, 04 Aug 2016 04:06:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about FIU for Accountinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html I've given FIU a pretty fair chance to impress me with its academic magic. The local community here in South Florida (of accounting professionals and the accounting firms) has the impression that it's... Tue, 22 Mar 2016 06:28:03 GMT StudentsReview 284-173071 284-173071 284 1 Accounting Female Undergraduate Class 2016 4th Year Advice I've given FIU a pretty fair chance to impress me with its academic magic. The local community here in South Florida (of accounting professionals and the accounting firms) has the impression that it's a "great accounting program."

Here is the honest-to-God truth about this program in a few paragraphs:

In recent years, despite this reputation of being a "great accounting program," the program itself is badly trying to boost its CPA rankings in order to look like an even better school to the outside world. They have tried different tweaking their program in various ways to make this happen. The end result is that they pile the students with an absolutely insane amount of work per accounting class and have made these courses practically Ivy-League difficult without the resources to support their students throughout these classes. They pile on work and just expect students to do it regardless of whether they've received instruction about how to do this work.

Their efforts to alleviate this were to make an accounting lab where students can walk in and get topic-specific help for their accounting classes by asking graduate students for help. There is a new batch of tutors each fall, so this means the tutors are often times teaching themselves how to help you. The department hand-picks these tutors, so they sometimes make the mistake of hiring people that are not genuinely interested in helping other people and relying on this is very hit-or-miss. It is completely dependent on who is competent in their technical knowledge and also helpful. Since these tutors are paid by a lump sum of grant money per semester rather than by salary, this sometimes hurts their drive to want to improve their teaching abilities as well. They are effectively in the position of working, studying for the CPA, and studying for their graduate coursework. Since they are as much on a hamster wheel as everyone else, this sometimes makes them not care about what they are doing when students walk in and ask for help with their coursework.

Professors at this school are often knowledgeable but are usually too busy to stop and help students due to teaching classes and performing research to prove their status as professors. Their knowledge tends to vary from fantastic to needing help with their teaching skills.

The HR side of the accounting department is often times rude and unhelpful to students. The customer service side of the department tends to be condescending and act as though it's your job to inform yourself about every detail of the accounting curriculum. They do not tend to listen to student opinion or feedback. This side of the department tends to be reactive rather than proactive in approaching department-specific problems.

As an undergraduate student, I have found the accounting department to lack opportunities for mentorship or grow / do research. The professors are often too busy and need to perform their research to do this. Almost any guidance I have received in my accounting program has been by other students in the department itself.

If I had known what I know now, I would have gone to FAU's undergraduate program instead. Both of them are commuter schools but FIU and FAU currently have CPA pass rates that are similar to each other. Since I know that, I would have gone to a school that has at least a friendlier and more helpful administration that makes more of an effort to help students.

It is understandable to attend this school since it is affordable and might be as much as you can afford. However, if you go this route, I suggest you walk in with the understanding that you will be teaching yourself literally almost everything.

You will be teaching yourself the material for your coursework, you will be teaching yourself everything you need to do to get through your classes, you will be teaching yourself what to even take for classes, your majors / minors, scholarship opportunities, etc.

Students that walk in with this kind of attitude and understand this upfront tend to do better than those that seek collaboration. Do not expect any hand-holding by the department itself and you will be fine.
Tue, 22 Mar 2016 06:28:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/FIU_comments.html