StudentsReview - Pensacola Christian College - Life at PCChttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html Life at PCC - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about PCC for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html I got good training in these areas: teaching classroom routines, maintaining classroom discipline, and teaching phonics. The rest of my education was sub-par. I did not have one class in working wit... Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:04:49 GMT StudentsReview 294-155199 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 294-155199 294 15 Education Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Neutral I got good training in these areas: teaching classroom routines, maintaining classroom discipline, and teaching phonics.
The rest of my education was sub-par. I did not have one class in working with special needs students or ESL students. I also had no training on legalities for teachers, such as mandatory reporting, or on working with parents.
I also did not have adequate classes in math, science, and history. The books we used were the exact same ones used in A Beka high schools.
The fact that my undergrad degree was unaccredited SERIOUSLY hampered me in my career. I had great difficulty being accepted into grad school and obtaining my state license.
Besides the mediocre education, the spiritual atmosphere was stifling to the point of being abusive. The focus was entirely on outward appearances. Weakness was not tolerated. I fractured my foot (hairline fracture) one semester and still had to run on it. I got very ill a few times, but was scolded for checking into the health center - even though my ear infection was so bad the bone was affected. Although a few staff members were caring, most lacked grace and kindness.
Although I appreciate the solid grounding in phonics and classroom management, I would never encourage someone to attend PCC.
Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:04:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about PCC for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html The school did provide a good education, however the nursing program is unaccredited.... Fri, 12 Dec 2014 01:19:12 GMT StudentsReview 294-155046 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 294-155046 294 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Neutral The school did provide a good education, however the nursing program is unaccredited. Fri, 12 Dec 2014 01:19:12 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about PCC for Religion/Religioushttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html PCC provides a great balance of Christian security and academic excellence.... Sat, 06 Dec 2014 12:53:06 GMT StudentsReview 294-154762 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 294-154762 294 39 Religion/Religious Male Undergraduate Class 2006 5th Year Positive PCC provides a great balance of Christian security and academic excellence. Sat, 06 Dec 2014 12:53:06 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about PCC for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html I write this as a Christian, homeschooling mother of four. I spent two years at their private high school and a year at the college itself. It was a degrading experience and I was glad I got out. I... Thu, 13 Nov 2014 03:39:22 GMT StudentsReview 294-153369 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 294-153369 294 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Negative I write this as a Christian, homeschooling mother of four.

I spent two years at their private high school and a year at the college itself. It was a degrading experience and I was glad I got out. I ran to this school as a way to get out of a bad family situation, but I only managed to run from one emotionally and spiritually abusive situation into another.

The system the college has set up for "moral accountability" is nerve wracking and put me on edge even though I was a line follower. I was a full believer in the school when I started but in the end my fervor was eaten away by the lack of trust and true compassion from the school.

The school was really subtle about their judgmental attitudes. Many of the teachers there truly did care, but the harshness in the system was built into the deans themselves and the floor leaders/student leaders they trained. Someone could smile to your face and turn you in with no qualms the moment your back was turned. Walking around campus you would see students sitting in common areas holding phones. Those were the people you wanted to avoid. As a woman I could walk past two of them and get nailed with a demerit by the third because my shirt was "too tight" on my curvy frame. Skinny, flat chested girls could get away with tighter clothes. Heaven forbid you have an average frame, you are stuck wearing maternity type shirts or jackets all the time.

As a homeschooling mother of four children I cannot recommend this college to anyone and have actively discouraged other homeschool parents from considering this school for their child. I am raising my children to be adults. If my children still need babysitting in their college years, I have failed in my job as a parent.

I am not saying that the college experience has to have the cultural expectations of debauchery and wild living. However, I do expect my children to make sound decisions by the time they are legal adults. That should be the goal of any parent who wants what is best for their child.
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 03:39:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about PCC for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html I had actually wanted to go to another Christian College, but the Lord closed that door and opened the door to go to PCC and I am thankful for it. Yes, it is strict. I had friends who took the handb... Fri, 05 Sep 2014 06:57:55 GMT StudentsReview 294-124983 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 294-124983 294 15 Education Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive I had actually wanted to go to another Christian College, but the Lord closed that door and opened the door to go to PCC and I am thankful for it. Yes, it is strict. I had friends who took the handbook just to laugh at it. I went into it with the philosophy that every rule that seemed weird or extreme was there because someone had done something foolish that required it. I did not take the rules as legalistic or an expectation of how I would live the rest of my life, but as a salt shaker to help me see that I'm not the only person my age who loves God and that because I am salt in a lost world that I need to hold myself to a high standard so as not to stumble those around me. I received FANTASTIC preparation to be a teacher. I was ready to handle a multi-grade classroom or a large single-grade room; I've done both. The accredidation part has been somewhat of a headache because of the state that I moved to, but I didn't do as much research as I should have on getting it either. A few classes that count toward a master's will fix the problem. I loved the education, the music, the friends I made and the structure of the campus. I had to be to work at 6:30 in the morning,so I was thankful that my roommates could not be awake all night. I was not there because my parents made me go there or one of the girls there for an MRS degree. I was there for an excellent education and I got it. I would go there again. Fri, 05 Sep 2014 06:57:55 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/PCC_comments.html