StudentsReview - The University of Central Florida - Life at UCFhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html Life at UCF - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UCF for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html If I could go back in time and do it all over again I would in a heartbeat. From the time of orientation you are treated as just another number with a dollar sign on their head. Being out of state I t... Tue, 25 Mar 2014 02:55:00 GMT StudentsReview 303-104612 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 303-104612 303 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Negative If I could go back in time and do it all over again I would in a heartbeat. From the time of orientation you are treated as just another number with a dollar sign on their head. Being out of state I thought orientation would be an opportunity to maybe meet friends and feel like i made the right choice since i was a transfer student, instead from the moment it started the people who were talking at orientation were arrogant and snotty. On my first day at ucf i made my first visit to the financial aid office and this is when my nightmare started (the knightmare puns arent kidding) The financial aid office WILL NOT help you at all, you are just another number and could careless about students. They messed up my fafsa and somehow i ended up getting nothing (when i shouldve gotten something) because of the arrogance of these people. Theyll tell you off the bat that they cant help you. Its the same with other offices. No ONE knows anything, I spent an entire day going from office to office and no one ever helped. And i wasn't the only one. In my many visits to ALL the possible student offices i made there were students in my same situation who were offered no help. Money is their number one priority. The people who go here are average, but it is extremely hard to make friends if you dont know people from high school. My roommates, who were from florida and had been attending the school for 2 years didn't have any friends either. The girls are snobby and the guys are only looking to hook up. It is usually quite easy for me to make friends but not at this school. The school spirit is awful and the academics arent even challenging. The people are quite dumb. Tue, 25 Mar 2014 02:55:00 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UCF for Electrical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html Professors do not care about your success. Even my academic adviser was unhelpful. If you want to talk to your professor you must make an appointment and sometimes it is a week or 10 days before you... Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:49:15 GMT StudentsReview 303-101586 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 303-101586 303 16 Electrical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative Professors do not care about your success. Even my academic adviser was unhelpful. If you want to talk to your professor you must make an appointment and sometimes it is a week or 10 days before you can get one. After this amount of time has gone by your class material is no longer relevant.
Since it is the 2nd largest college in the USA they simply have more people than they can handle. Everyone is just a number. The bureaucracy is crazy maddening.
Nothing is easy at UCF, not scheduling, parking, availability to your teachers or dorm RA help with bad roommates.
Living on-campus is super pricey. Better to live off campus.
If you like to party, this is the place. Plenty of everything - everywhere. If you want to study then always lock everything since theft is a huge problem.
Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:49:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UCF for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html Most of the departments at UCF are satisfactory but the Math department at UCF is so unregulated I am suprised if anyone passes a math course here. If you want actual advice: Take all maths at Valenci... Fri, 07 Feb 2014 04:34:08 GMT StudentsReview 303-101154 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 303-101154 303 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative Most of the departments at UCF are satisfactory but the Math department at UCF is so unregulated I am suprised if anyone passes a math course here. If you want actual advice: Take all maths at Valencia or another community college around orlando, don't ruin your GPA. Fri, 07 Feb 2014 04:34:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UCF for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html I graduated from UCF in the Fall 2008 at the beginning of the recession. Unfortunately, like most recent graduates, I had to move back home with student loans that were starting to mature. Initially... Sun, 26 Jan 2014 04:07:46 GMT StudentsReview 303-100668 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 303-100668 303 24 Mechanical Engineering Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral I graduated from UCF in the Fall 2008 at the beginning of the recession. Unfortunately, like most recent graduates, I had to move back home with student loans that were starting to mature. Initially, I got some responses from prospective employers but no interviews, and I finally decided to study and take the EIT/FE exam to hopefully help my chances of getting a job. I put a good deal of time and effort into studying for the exam, took the exam, and I passed.

Its been over five years now and I couldn't even get an interview let alone a job.

I knew an aerospace engineer, high GPA and honor student, who graduated around the same time I did and is in the same predicament. In retrospect I regret going into engineering at UCF and putting the time and money (student loans)into a degree that, in terms of getting a job, is worthless.

During my time there I spent two years applying for internships through the CO-OP office and couldn't even get a single interview, and I knew lots of people who got the same results.

There is opportunity for students at UCF, and I knew kids who got engineering jobs. The main problem with most schools is the fact that they don't educate incoming students on what they need to do academically (ie. level of studying and workload) and internship wise to succeed. I had no idea about the level of competition there was for internships, or the fact that you need to be associated with a research program to help develop contacts for possible job leads.

I hate people who read reviews like these and say, "Well, that's your responsibility". I disagree. Yes, its my responsibility to do well in school and try to make an attempt to gain practical experience. However, is it too much to ask of the administration at UCF to have a brief talk with incoming students and give them a run down on what it takes to actually get a job with the degrees they soon will be putting a substantial amount of time and effort for?

Anyways, I know there are a lot of kids at UCF who, like me, are trying to make something of themselves, and I hope they do succeed. The problem is the fact that too many won't succeed, and they'll probably wind up in debt with no future prospects. If you're considering this school, please be careful, and make sure you have a clear understanding of the expectations required of you to be successful in your field of study.
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 04:07:46 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCF for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html Anyone who says bluntly negative things about UCF is either self absorbed (And sour that they didn't get into UF) anti-social (And bored of the social scene, because they AREN'T involved in it) or jus... Thu, 24 Oct 2013 01:58:23 GMT StudentsReview 303-96671 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 303-96671 303 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Positive Anyone who says bluntly negative things about UCF is either self absorbed (And sour that they didn't get into UF) anti-social (And bored of the social scene, because they AREN'T involved in it) or just snotty and expect things to be handed to them without hard work (Also an option). I came to UCF as an out of state student, and I have to tell you, it's the best choice I've ever made. Everyday of my life, I thank my lucky stars that I chose this school over others, because it has been the best thing I could have done for myself. For people who think that UCF is a commuter school, or that it's not highly respected-you're leaving under the rock that Florida has blinded you with. It's no longer about UF, or FSU...sorry to say, gators, but your days of glory are coming to an end. Your football program is hitting rock bottom, and without your football teams, you're academically average schools with ugly (UF) to okay (FSU) campuses it, frankly, really lack luster areas. UCF is rightfully taking the throne now, and high respect should be given to this university that is ONLY 60 years old. It's insane how much success UCF has had in this amount of years, that by the time I graduate (Three years) it will be the TOP university in the state of Florida, and have high respect from other states (It already does, for the record). UCF is a HUGE school, yes, but with a social scene that is something to be proud of. We have every kind of student you can imagine, and if you can't find a solid group of friends at this school, there's something wrong with you. From students who were born and raised in Orlando, to Chicago students, to my Jamaican friend that sits next to me in computer science, the diversity is top notch. The people here are SO friendly IF you're smart about it. Sorry to say, but at UCF, the snotty people you will come across is Greek life. If that's your jar of pickles, have at it-if it's not, they're easier to ignore. Beyond sorority girls who are worried about their designer bags, and frat guys who think they can chug a whole keg, everyone I have been here has been very nice. I'm a girl who didn't have many friends in high school (I kept to myself) Here, I have the most amazing group of friends, and we have a blast. Yes, UCF knows how to party (What do you expect being so close to Orlando) but there's a bunch to do beyond that. For those that say there's no school spirit-please. We're ranked top 21 in the nation (Can you guess who isn't even in the rankings? The gators? Sorry not sorry). Our team is GREAT this year, and they're only getting better. We know how to tailgate, we know how to get pumped up, and we stay at the game rain or shine, winning or losing, and proudly represent Blake and Gold. Our academics are awesome-I have loved EVERY one of my teachers, and even in huge lecture halls, I STILL didn't feel like a number. I have done better here, academically, then I ever did in High School-the professors here are vibrant, passionate, and want you to succeed. If you approach them, they will help, but that's your job. The campus is BEAUTIFUL. In comparison to FSU's tight campus, that is building to building with run down dorms and classrooms, and UF's brick jail looking campus with a HORRIBLE layout, UCF is GORGEOUS. A HUGE campus, but so easy to navigate (UCF thinks ahead, other then these other schools)always clean and kept well, best campus I've ever laid my eyes on. I always feel very safe on campus, and as a female, feel comfortable taking night walks and what not. Times have changed, and UCF has changed-it's quickly surpassing every other University and Florida, and becoming nationally recognized. There are some draw backs, of course, but that's the case with EVERY college. College is what you make of it, and if you just complain about everything, are anti-social, and expect everything to be handed to you, come easy, and don't focus on school (Most of the negative reviews on here). That's your fault-not the colleges. If you pick UCF, you won't regret it. Thu, 24 Oct 2013 01:58:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html