StudentsReview - The University of Central Florida - Life at UCF Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html Life at UCF - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UCF for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html This is specifically for students who are interested in applying to the Honors College at UCF. If you want to come to UCF, then that is great - overall, I personally had a quality experience as an un... Mon, 23 May 2016 12:33:39 GMT StudentsReview 303-173648 303-173648 303 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 4th Year Neutral This is specifically for students who are interested in applying to the Honors College at UCF. If you want to come to UCF, then that is great - overall, I personally had a quality experience as an undergraduate at this institution. However, if you are looking to apply to the UCF Burnett Honors College I urge you to reconsider. When I started at UCF in 2012, Honors had so many enriching programs and opportunities. Over the past few years, though, these programs have been rapidly disappearing and the staff who really cared about student success have mostly left. Let me provide some specific examples. For the first 6 months of my freshman year, there was an Honors Congress office led by Dr. Norburn and her assistant (Maria, I believe was her name) - they planned trips to local attractions, luncheons, film viewings, and other interactive social events for us as students. However, this office was soon dismantled, and the level of "opportunity" to interact with my peers was not even worth one-eighth of what my parents paid in dues as a part of my application (I don't recall many events after my freshman year, save a few luncheons here an there...most of which seemed thrown together at the last minute and uninspired). Up until last year, there were also many exciting programs being offered through the Research and Civic Engagement Office - my 3 favorites being ACE (Achieve a College Education Day), a study abroad trip to work with the New York Mets training camp, and Honors in the Major. While Honors in the Major still exists, the other programs do not. This was entirely confusing to me and many of my peers - many of us loved these programs and they received so much recognition throughout the Orlando community. I had even tentatively planned my schedule around the New York Mets study abroad trip with the hope to be selected for the experience in Fall 2015. However, I came back to campus in August 2015 to find that not only had this trip been eliminated, but that ACE was gone as well. Things at Honors have gotten bleak, for lack of a better description, to the point that I actually feel bad for my peers in the sense that they will not have the same level of opportunity that I had. And, with all due respect, I get a feeling that some of the recent additions to the Honors staff are not student centered. When I was a freshman, sophomore, and junior, there were staff at Honors who made me want to get involved - they were social, charismatic, and real mentors rather than supervisors. Over the last year, with two exceptions (Rex and Denise...and Denise, I learned, just left Honors sadly), the staff walked past me and many of my peers like we didn't even exist (a far cry from what they told us at Orientation - the doors are NOT always open). So, if you are trying to choose between whether to do EXCEL or Honors - do EXCEL. If you are trying to choose between UF and UCF Honors - strongly look at UF first. If you are even interested in the arts or humanities (because Honors seems to never offer classes for these disciplines) - take on a double major and forgo Honors altogether. Having Honors will not make or break your future career or graduate school goals. Honestly, your future direction will depend upon your GPA, test scores, and level of academic/co-curricular involvement - all of which you can find OUTSIDE of Honors on the UCF campus. Honors was fun while it lasted, but now it is just more trouble for students than it is worth. Mon, 23 May 2016 12:33:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCF for PreMed and Medicalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html I'm a Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology major, who will pursue a PhD after graduation. UCF is an amazing school with immense amount of opportunities for undergraduates, thus if you want to take ad... Sat, 02 Apr 2016 03:23:04 GMT StudentsReview 303-173173 303-173173 303 36 PreMed and Medical Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive I'm a Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology major, who will pursue a PhD after graduation. UCF is an amazing school with immense amount of opportunities for undergraduates, thus if you want to take advantage of these opportunities rather than just going to class and thats it - you will not be disappointed with all UCF has to offer. Personally, I've been able to have my own independent research project, travel across the states presenting it, while being fully funded because of all the grants/scholarship opportunities available. However, as a pre-grad school student, I will admit that they heavily cater to the premed students, in order to give them a fair shot at a high GPA, so a lot of core classes are read from a powerpoint, memorization which is annoying; don't get me wrong theyre still difficult, but less logic applied than other courses. Sat, 02 Apr 2016 03:23:04 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UCF for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html The University of Central Florida is an amazing school, that has offered me so many opportunities and has shaped me into the women I am today. UCF truly lives up to their motto "UCF Stands for Opportu... Tue, 23 Feb 2016 03:27:52 GMT StudentsReview 303-172841 303-172841 303 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Positive The University of Central Florida is an amazing school, that has offered me so many opportunities and has shaped me into the women I am today. UCF truly lives up to their motto "UCF Stands for Opportunity". I would recommend this school to anyone, and I hope one day my children go here! Tue, 23 Feb 2016 03:27:52 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UCF for PreMed and Medicalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html Seriously, it took me 50 minutes to find a parking spot this morning at 9 am! Park and Ride - who came up with that idea? I have 4 classes a day and need to go to my car for book exchanges between... Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:48:18 GMT StudentsReview 303-172834 303-172834 303 36 PreMed and Medical Male Undergraduate Class 2017 3rd Year Neutral Seriously, it took me 50 minutes to find a parking spot this morning at 9 am!
Park and Ride - who came up with that idea? I have 4 classes a day and need to go to my car for book exchanges between each class...park and ride takes 30 minutes round trip! What a joke! New buildings replacing engineering and Health and Public Affairs parking lots is rediculous! And then limited parking spaces are double booked with events at the Arena...Students pay 50.00 a semester then the University sells the same spots for events!!!
Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:48:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UCF for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html Please, please go get in debt with something else before ever thinking about applying to this school! You will be made to feel inferior. All of the professors are elitists who will talk down to you... Wed, 06 Jan 2016 02:50:10 GMT StudentsReview 303-172307 303-172307 303 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Negative Please, please go get in debt with something else before ever thinking about applying to this school!

You will be made to feel inferior. All of the professors are elitists who will talk down to you subconsciously. The first classes you are made to take are called "weed out classes" which are insanely difficult.

I think I studied maybe 8 hours a day, asked every question, and still got Bs and Cs (this coming from a straight A high school honors student). Take it a point further: your professors will mostly be adjuncts who have extreme gaps in knowledge, and in many cases may be unable to answer your questions no matter how you phrase it. If you get on their bad side, they will be sure to destroy you.

That's it. This is how they get the handcuffs on you if you ever think about transferring to any worthwhile school. You can't now, but it's only fair because those foreign students who studied 14 hours a day worked harder right?

The books, as you guessed it, are either the most insanely expensive ones available at the bookstore (UCF special edition) or one of the Professor's choosing (which is always themselves or someone they know. The worst thing is that they all suffer from the false intelligence syndrome. All of the beginning books are using fancy words you wouldn't even encounter until grad school. Like I said, if you ask your professors to explain a concept to you, they have difficulty or will ask you to book office hours (for which they have one or two times the entire semester). I actually looked up some lectures on similar topics by well known professors at Harvard, Stanford, MIT, UPenn... and what they were saying actually made sense. You will be punished for their mistakes! I can count two times where I received a lower grade in the entire course because of a professor's factual error.

If you wanted to kick ass and chew bubble gem, you'll be deeply disappointed. UCF encourages a culture of fear and subordination. There is a lot of grade mugging going on and if you're into that esp. as a pretty girl, you just might get it. In fact, I conducted an experiment in a class I would probably fail and I passed regardless.

The social stratum at this school runs very wide: you have your rich, honors kids who you never see, your athletes, nerds, stoners, and all the races self segregate. If I had to say, the blacks & hispanics are very racist at/near this school. Look at all the acts of violence being committed that are associated with UCF. Getting to class is difficult, I'm sure, (now, with 70k students) and parking is a nightmare. They even have staged events! Hello attempted UCF bombing and Journalist Steve beheading!

...But if you like free STDs and beer, I'm sure the thousands of bros will hook you up. In which case, I feel the school would be a perfect match for you.
Wed, 06 Jan 2016 02:50:10 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/UCF_comments.html