StudentsReview - Emory University - Life at EUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html Life at EU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about EU for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html I realized within 4 weeks that I had made the wrong choice by choosing to attend Emory University. About Me: I'm from the Northeast (like many Emory Students) and have always been an excellent student... Mon, 26 May 2014 12:54:39 GMT StudentsReview 325-109438 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 325-109438 325 79 Finance Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I realized within 4 weeks that I had made the wrong choice by choosing to attend Emory University. About Me: I'm from the Northeast (like many Emory Students) and have always been an excellent student. I scored 96th percentile on the SAT and graduated 3rd in my high school class. I visited the April of my HS senior year and was blown away by the beauty of campus. I ended up choosing Emory over Boston College because of the cost; I received an aid offer of $22,000 a year from Emory versus $6,000 from Boston College (I couldn't afford $53,000 a year).
Anyways here's what life at Emory has been for me: Most of the students are Ivy-League/Northwestern/WashU rejects and everyone BS about how they didn't get into these schools. The kids tend to be rich, snobby, elitist, and pretentious. Stats say that there are only like 13% asians, but it's closer to 30% if you live on the Atlanta campus as I do. I'm not racist whatsoever, but the Chinese and koreans only hang out with each other and smoke outside Woodruff library together. My roommate was from China, he didn't speak english well and made no attempt to become my friend.
There is ABSOLUTELY no school spirit here. I underestimated how important this is. Being at a school where no one gets really excited about on campus events is SO depressing. No one watches any sports, there is no football team to rally around. People come here for Pre-Law, Pre-Med, and Pre-Bus, and really nothing else. Social Life is really segregated by dorm for freshman and the ENTIRE social life scene revolves around Greek Life. I don't drink or smoke, so basically there's not much to do on Fridays and Saturdays. Atlanta is a driving city, so as a freshman you may feel like you're suffocating on campus because it's the same 3/4 mile cube all year. The DUC cafeteria absolutely sucks, and there is no grocery store within walking distance. Emory likes to say it's a safe campus, but it's really not. During my freshman year, there were several reports of rape on campus, one by a complete stranger in the woods, and of course Frat-type stuff.
My time so far at Emory has been an extreme let down. I thought the campus was massive when I first visited, but when you get here everything feels so small. I came here for the brand "Emory" and hate myself for it because it has been the worst experience of my life. I plan on transferring Spring semester of sophomore year.
Some other things: I really hate the 2 semester language requirement and all the other liberal arts classes that you must take. I entered with 15 hours of AP credit and still have to take all these courses I completely loathe.
Mon, 26 May 2014 12:54:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about EU for Chemistryhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html Thought of transfer before getting here.Never think of it since beginning of college.... Wed, 21 Nov 2012 01:28:32 GMT StudentsReview 325-90526 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 325-90526 325 9 Chemistry Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive Thought of transfer before getting here.Never think of it since beginning of college. Wed, 21 Nov 2012 01:28:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about EU for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html It's good for some people, it's bad for others. Take this with a grain of salt. I would say, however, that a big problem with Emory is apathy. It drowns you. just go out do stuff for yourself if you c... Wed, 31 Oct 2012 03:48:34 GMT StudentsReview 325-90143 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 325-90143 325 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Advice It's good for some people, it's bad for others. Take this with a grain of salt. I would say, however, that a big problem with Emory is apathy. It drowns you. just go out do stuff for yourself if you come here. don't wait for others. Wed, 31 Oct 2012 03:48:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about EU for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html Emory used to have a good reputation. Now, no one knows what the true statistics are. Since they lied about their academic prowess, they owe every student who enrolled during the time it misrepresente... Sat, 18 Aug 2012 01:24:42 GMT StudentsReview 325-88931 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 325-88931 325 32 Philosophy Male Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Neutral Emory used to have a good reputation. Now, no one knows what the true statistics are. Since they lied about their academic prowess, they owe every student who enrolled during the time it misrepresented itself a refund of tuition and expenses. They should also pay for any student who wishes to transfer to a school with valid high criteria by paying the transfer student's tuition and expenses at the new school. Many people and their parents were misled by Emory's lies and may well have chosen the school based on those lies. They are entitled to remedy. Sat, 18 Aug 2012 01:24:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about EU for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html I attend Oxford College my first two years and then finished at Emory's main campus, Emory College. I loved my experience as I got the best of both worlds. Oxford College has gotten a bit bigger now b... Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:21:09 GMT StudentsReview 325-88200 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 325-88200 325 32 Philosophy Female Undergraduate Class 2007 4th Year Positive I attend Oxford College my first two years and then finished at Emory's main campus, Emory College. I loved my experience as I got the best of both worlds. Oxford College has gotten a bit bigger now but at the time back in 2003-2005, only 650 students, small class rooms, tutors available, great faculty-student interaction. Main campus, I loved being a Resident Advisor, loved my classes, my department, Philosphy, was very open and the faculty, top notch. I learned more in Logic and Ethics than expected and take the lessons I learned into my post-college college experiences in the real world. My only regret is not reading all the assigned material, I wish I had so I could have learned even more, however I was so involved in being social that I didn't study as much as I could've. If only I had worked harder I would have gotten an even more fulfilling experience so its very important to work hard and play hard! Overall, I love Emory and would recommend it to anyone. Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:21:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/EU_comments.html