StudentsReview - The Savannah College of Art and Design - Life at SCADhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html Life at SCAD - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about SCAD for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html Lies and Discrimination... Mon, 24 Feb 2014 03:53:45 GMT StudentsReview 342-102063 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 342-102063 342 60 Art & Design Department Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative Lies and Discrimination Mon, 24 Feb 2014 03:53:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SCAD for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html SCAD came highly recommended from a friend of my mother's and she pushed me to come here. Classes are, in general, okay. One of my classes was cancelled a week before classes started and I was not inf... Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:47:54 GMT StudentsReview 342-101726 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 342-101726 342 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Neutral SCAD came highly recommended from a friend of my mother's and she pushed me to come here. Classes are, in general, okay. One of my classes was cancelled a week before classes started and I was not informed, getting into another class so soon before the quarter was hell, I wasn't allowed to be placed into a full class like the school said I could if needed be. Classes are also changed to different times without telling the students in them, so if you register you have to frequently check to make sure you haven't been taken out of the class because the time changed. Students don't really range from don't do a lot of work to do a lot of work, they're either one or the other. Many students are also not terribly bright, often misspelling things and messing up their grammar. Some professors aren't that good at grammar as well. Only being able to skip four of the twenty classes makes sense, however with many studio classes I find myself saving up my skips so I can use them to work on projects for that class because the in-class time isn't productive, all we do is talk about irrelevant things. Recently, all the chairs in my building were replaced with more expensive less comfortable chairs. Dorms are almost entirely concrete, campus is overpriced (so is the food) and unwelcoming. I have lived off campus for two years now, and it is considerably cheaper but your chances of getting shot or robbed are higher. Security isn't that helpful, neither is tech support. Teachers don't seem to talk to each other about course content, there are gaps in education. Many professors expect you to just know how to use computer programs without teaching you. Students can be friendly but frequently aren't. Majority of the freshmen are there because it's easy to get into the school and their parents want them to go to college, and they think an art school will be a good party school. It's not. Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:47:54 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SCAD for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html I have spent over $100,000 in student loans while at SCAD. There so many things I love about my school, especially the photography department. Your foundation classes may feel like busy work, but they... Wed, 12 Feb 2014 03:53:14 GMT StudentsReview 342-101394 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 342-101394 342 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Negative I have spent over $100,000 in student loans while at SCAD. There so many things I love about my school, especially the photography department. Your foundation classes may feel like busy work, but they are actually very useful towards your major. Well besides 3D Design, I still think that class was a total waste of time lol. Anyway, I love the photo department, but for the price tag of tuition, half of the equipment is outdated or old as your grandma, along with that fact that a quarter of the photo professors are only there because of their so called 'fame' when they are in reality actually really horrible teachers. Like Zig Jackson, Meryl Truett and Pete Christman, avoid them at all costs! They are totally useless teachers. I don't even know why they are teachers! I regret having chosen them for classes. Anyway, Savannah is a party town so if you're down for that you've come to the right place. If not, there's always Forsyth park or a ton of cafe's and cupcake places where you can write about your sober artsy life.
After four years, I really would not trade this experience for anything. I am still not proud that I am graduating from the money hungering SCAD, but I am proud that I have at least attended college. I wish I would have attended a better school, but it's too late now. SCAD really isn't worth the money, despite whatever kind of fancy show they try to put on during tours or on their website. Please aim for RISD (with a scholarship) or just any art school other than the overrated SCAD, it's really not worth the money. Good luck everyone!
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 03:53:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SCAD for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html Pros: - The building is nice, they've spent a lot of time (and our money) creating an environment suitable for creativity and education. - I have had a handful of classes where I learned a lot of us... Mon, 10 Feb 2014 02:12:02 GMT StudentsReview 342-101338 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 342-101338 342 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2013 5th Year Negative Pros:
- I have had a handful of classes where I learned a lot of useful information.

Cons:
- Obviously this place is expensive, but it's also not worth it.
- I never developed any close friendships with the people here because they are mostly arrogant and form cliques. Not to mention most of them reek of alcohol/drugs.
- While the building itself is nice, the environment around it isn't very safe. There have been several security breaches, as well as car break-ins and robberies at gun-point. Don't travel in this area at night.
- The HUB food is expensive, and not even that great.
- It's claimed that since the classes at SCAD-Atlanta are smaller, learning is more "hands-on", but most of the teachers will tell you to improve on your own time.

I've been attending the SCAD-Atlanta campus for about 5 years, and the most I've gotten out of it is large amounts of stress, financial debt, and an inferiority complex. Prior to enrolling into SCAD, I attended their SCAD-Day event, where they give tours to prospective students. Obviously, this is where they try to persuade you to attend SCAD by sugar-coating any information regarding the school. I remember when I went to this event, another person asked the tour guide if you had to be able to draw to go to SCAD, to which the tour guide replied that it isn't necessary for most majors, plus there are classes that would help you along the way. I'll admit, I'm not a terrible artist, but I'm not the best either. The teachers here often make you feel like the absolute WORST. They will tell you what you're doing wrong, but they don't help much in making it right. If you have a scholarship, expect to lose it, because the teachers grade harsh enough to lower your GPA dramatically. I've spent quite a long time and extra money trying to bring mine back up, and it still wasn't at the academic standpoint for graduating on time. Not to mention I have nothing even remotely close to a professional portfolio, which they place a lot of emphasis on creating in order to get hired once you graduate. So instead, I will be seeking a better education elsewhere. Overall, this place really isn't all it's cracked up to be. So long SCAD, you were the worst 5 year mistake of my life.
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 02:12:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about SCAD for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html This has been my first quarter at SCAD and I like it here.I haven't run into anybody that hasn't liked it here. I love that you only have classes four days a week and the long winter break you get. Yo... Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:28:14 GMT StudentsReview 342-98319 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 342-98319 342 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Advice This has been my first quarter at SCAD and I like it here.I haven't run into anybody that hasn't liked it here. I love that you only have classes four days a week and the long winter break you get. You get to meet a lot of people from all over the world. The diversity is unlike any other college. I have three international roommates. In my classes we tried to help each other out I didn't feel that it was cut throat at all. I feel you will find like all colleges some people who are friendly and others that aren't. The professors are helpful mine were at least but you have to work hard like all colleges. I didn't have time to go to any of the activities or do any of the clubs but they seemed interesting especially the drink and draw that one of my roommates went to weekly and she really liked it. I had read reviews from this college on here before I went and I finally decided I would try and I can't say I'm sorry for going here. The cost is a lot to pay for a college education. The downside is that you don't get to take more than three classes per quarter but the upside to that is you can really focus on what your learning. As far as the crime goes during the day seemed to be fine when I was out but be careful anytime. Two scad students were robbed while I was down there in the evening during winter quarter but they didn't get hurt. My advice is to just be careful. It's like most cites. My experience is different from others. Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:28:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/SCAD_comments.html