StudentsReview - The University of Georgia - Life at UGA/UGeorgia Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html Life at UGA/UGeorgia - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UGA/UGeorgia for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html There are some things I like about UGA: The atmosphere, the social scene, the quality of my fellow students. There are, however, some things you should know if you are planning on coming here. F... Tue, 01 May 2018 08:49:27 GMT StudentsReview 347-183150 347-183150 347 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 1921 2nd Year Negative There are some things I like about UGA: The atmosphere, the social scene, the quality of my fellow students.

First, as others have pointed out many of the professors are here for research which means that several can't teach or don't want to.

Second, I had a large friend group come to UGA from many surrounding high schools. We know each other pretty well. What we've found is that your grades have more to do with getting the "easy" professor and less to do with your innate ability. There are classes I aced that my friends who are better in the subject to got C's and vice versa.

Third, and this may upset some, is that I have been discriminated against as a white , straight male by non white or liberal professors.

Fourth, in engineering there are some unnecessarily hard weed out courses that didn't serve as a pivotal building block, but more as a statement of the power that the professor's yield.

Fifth, in engineering, at least in my major it is nearly impossible to graduate in four years.

Sixth, since the engineering program is so new and they don't have enough professors it is overly difficult to get in and there is limited course flexibility.

I am in it to win it as they say so I am not leaving, but for those looking to attend be warned.
Tue, 01 May 2018 08:49:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UGA/UGeorgia for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html Just because you can get into UGA doesn't mean you have to go here. I advise you to visit the campus first before you apply and/or accept their invitation to enroll here. Unless you like the idea of a... Sat, 30 Sep 2017 05:03:25 GMT StudentsReview 347-181196 347-181196 347 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative Just because you can get into UGA doesn't mean you have to go here. I advise you to visit the campus first before you apply and/or accept their invitation to enroll here. Unless you like the idea of a massive college campus where the only way you can even get from Point A to Point B is by using their unreliable and inconvenient public bus transportation system, I recommend going to a smaller college somewhere else where you are more likely to get more personalized individual attention from professors who actually care about you. UGA is insanely huge in terms of size and student population, and all of your classes will be filled with 300+ students. That makes you just a number to teachers and everyone else, not an actual person with individual thoughts, feelings, and ideas.

UGA's reputation as a public Ivy college has greatly diminished in the last few decades. The school no longer cares about its academics or education as long as it keeps raking in money from tuition and research grants, and instead emphasizes its athletics and football as if those are the only important things that mattered in the entire world. The professors by the way are all self-absorbed in their own research and only view teaching as a necessary evil just so they can keep their jobs as professors and don't actually have to contribute anything to society like the rest of us in the real world do. Also, the rapid rise in college tuition in the last few years in the state of Georgia has led to a direct increase in the pay and salaries of college faculty and administration. That's right, your thousands of dollars of tuition money goes towards paying the $200,000-$300,000 salaries of UGA's tenured professors and administration. The president of UGA's salary is nearly $1,000,000 per year with benefits. Here's your useless degree when you graduate! Thanks for paying for our fancy new mansions and brand new luxury cars, suckers!

The student population is filled with snotty, spoiled rich kids from the suburbs of Atlanta who have never had to work a day in their life because their parents are paying for their college and everything else. So every Thursday night is the start of a weekend of non-stop partying, binge-drinking, and promiscuous sex in the fraternity and sorority houses. If that is your idea of a college experience, then by all means throw away your parents' money and the next four years of your life at UGA. Downtown Athens is nothing but more of the same drinking, partying, and sex at the clubs and bars every football weekend. But I've said enough about this school. Don't attend here if you actually care at all about your education and future career. Go somewhere else.
Sat, 30 Sep 2017 05:03:25 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UGA/UGeorgia for Linguisticshttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html UGA is a good school. It will steal all of your money, but it's overall a decent school. Its Linguistics program is nice. It's underfunded (in fact, it couldn't afford *paper* last semester) an... Thu, 20 Apr 2017 02:56:03 GMT StudentsReview 347-179592 347-179592 347 68 Linguistics Male Undergraduate Class 2017 3rd Year Neutral UGA is a good school. It will steal all of your money, but it's overall a decent school.

Its Linguistics program is nice. It's underfunded (in fact, it couldn't afford *paper* last semester) and focuses on historical linguistics, and I felt the coursework was rather simple; but I really enjoyed the professors I had and the people I met.

The Cognitive Science program wasn't bad. It's difficult to blanket-statement it, since CogSci is so extremely interdisciplinary -- but the necessary philosophy classes went about as you'd expect.

The Computer Science department, though... Oof. It's not terrible. But...
Around half of my CompSci professors didn't know English very well. One of them was so bad at English, than she couldn't even understand us! She didn't even bother to spellcheck her assignments or have TAs look them over. Several of my Computer Science "teachers" barely understood the topic they were teaching, and they weren't even grad students! I had one teacher who basically had the students teach it for her, while she assigned around 500 hours of work. That's not a typo. 500 hours of work for a single class in a single semester. Needless to say, none of us slept.

Note that UGA has a flat-rate for tuition past 6cr, meaning that you pay the same at 7cr as you do at, ie, 17cr. I paid $2500 per class this semester, and neither teacher spoke English or were particularly good at what they did.

And they never even taught us, ie, Git.

So... Yeah, the Computer Science at UGA needs some work -- but I suppose that's to be expected when the Linux sysadmins all use Macs.

Anyways, the high cost of classes and the underfunding of ie Linguistics is unjustified. While the Linguistics program lacks paper, the school is busy replacing its perfectly functional hand-scanners with RETINA SCANNERS. Let that sink in.

So, recap: UGA is a decent school, it's unnecessarily expensive, and its Computer Science department needs work.
Thu, 20 Apr 2017 02:56:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UGA/UGeorgia for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html I have a BFA in Graphic Design from UGA. I would say that it is by far the m... Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:03:59 GMT StudentsReview 347-106549 347-106549 347 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Neutral I have a BFA in Graphic Design from UGA. I would say that it is by far the m Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:03:59 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UGA/UGeorgia for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html For my college decision, I chose between the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the College of William & Mary. I wondered for a month or so after... Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:56:23 GMT StudentsReview 347-103409 347-103409 347 57 Economics Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive For my college decision, I chose between the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the College of William & Mary. I wondered for a month or so after arriving at UGA if I had made the right choice (I was raised a Tarheels fan), but I couldn't be more certain that Georgia is the place for me. UGA is a damn good school in a great college town. Go there. You won't regret it... It's the best decision I ever made. Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:56:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/UG_comments.html