StudentsReview - The University of Alabama - Birmingham - Life at UAB/UAlabama-Birmingham Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html Life at UAB/UAlabama-Birmingham - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UAB/UAlabama-Birmingham for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html UAB's online program is horrible! Online classes are cut from normal term of 16 weeks to 7 weeks with the same criteria. UAB has trust issues with its students.... all exams are done through proctor u... Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:59:55 GMT StudentsReview 40-182804 40-182804 40 79 Finance Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative UAB's online program is horrible! Online classes are cut from normal term of 16 weeks to 7 weeks with the same criteria. UAB has trust issues with its students.... all exams are done through proctor u and that company is horrible. Professors do not teach, you have to teach yourself through any means available. UAB needs to drop their online program strongly recommend you find another college. I chose online because of my job, now I wish I had searched other colleges. Online tuition is double what the campus fees are. Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:59:55 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UAB/UAlabama-Birmingham for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html I went into UAB as a biology major intending to get into the medical school and be a trauma surgeon. I eventually changed my mind after realizing I did not want to go that route in life, and became a ... Wed, 27 Dec 2017 10:36:48 GMT StudentsReview 40-182292 40-182292 40 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Class 2018 3rd Year Negative I went into UAB as a biology major intending to get into the medical school and be a trauma surgeon. I eventually changed my mind after realizing I did not want to go that route in life, and became a history major. Never have I seen such a sad, underfunded, neglected history department as the history department here. They are shoved into a corner wing in heritage hall, while other majors are given whole seperate buildings. Anything in the College of Arts and Sciences is relegated to Heritage hall, and treated like an afterthought, even though it is the biggest school at the university. The few good professors in the department teach very little (as they do a lot of research) so the teaching is given to TAs or hack professors who give history a bad name. I would not advise being a history major here unless you are big into revisionist history, or being taught history of Birmingham classes, which are of course useless in the larger picture.

UAB is not a safe university. The university backs up to government housing, and there have been many robberies and strong arm rapes on campus. Going into the parking garages past 9 PM is a death wish, with ambush muggings being common. Parking, speaking of, is heinously bad. The university constantly demolishes parking lots to build useless buildings.

The food on campus is also heinous. Almost everything is horridly greasy. The BBQ restaurant in the student center serves warmed up meat that is dry, and the Chinese restaurant across from it is so sugary it's disgusting. The Panera bread is overpriced, but good.

Students are horrible. You are constantly accosted by liberal political activists. Pre med students act as though they are Gods gift to the world and actively talk down to other students. The honors college is a joke that exists to suck up university money with useless projects such as a nap a thon. I wish that was a joke, but it happened. They also had a restaurant cater an event that consisted of the students playing with toys. It is more reminiscent of a kindergarten class than what is supposed to be an elite program.

Campus jobs are non existent if you do not have work study status. The one campus job open to non work study students is located off campus in 5 points, and includes calling alumni to solicit donations.

Sports are a joke. The football program is a money pit, and the students rioted when it was cancelled. Upon reinstatement, the university raised fees on students, who foolishly voted for it. The university dumps 20 million dollars a year into the program, which could be put to academics or patient care at the hospitals.

The hospitals are first rate, but the student health center is a bad joke. I was prescribed MRSA antibiotics for an ingrown hair on my arm, that upon taking them made me feel so poor I could barely leave my bed, as they killed all bacteria in my digestive system, so I could no longer process food. If you have a non life threatening emergency, do yourself a favor and drive to the nearest urgent care.
Wed, 27 Dec 2017 10:36:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UAB/UAlabama-Birmingham for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html I am glad I went to college, period. Was UAB my first choice? No. Not even my second or third. But I ended up there and it has served me well.... Tue, 15 Nov 2016 05:55:01 GMT StudentsReview 40-176795 40-176795 40 17 English Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral I am glad I went to college, period. Was UAB my first choice? No. Not even my second or third. But I ended up there and it has served me well. Tue, 15 Nov 2016 05:55:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about UAB/UAlabama-Birmingham for Accountinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html I used to be an Auburn University student. Everyone was nice and things were handled very well. At UAB it has been nothing but problems, headaches, and stress. I'm an online student and they charge a ... Tue, 13 Sep 2016 03:14:22 GMT StudentsReview 40-175613 40-175613 40 1 Accounting Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice I used to be an Auburn University student. Everyone was nice and things were handled very well. At UAB it has been nothing but problems, headaches, and stress. I'm an online student and they charge a $4000 online class fee for their business school. That's on top of the tuition. My advice would be to check every little detail you can think of or just go to another university. Tue, 13 Sep 2016 03:14:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UAB_comments.html