StudentsReview - Northeastern Illinois University - Life at NEIU/NIU Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html Life at NEIU/NIU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about NEIU/NIU for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html I could not afford the tuition of a higher-tier school nor could I afford the cost of room and board. The decision was simple. I commuted to NEIU. I spent long hours studying and preparing for clas... Fri, 29 Apr 2016 05:41:02 GMT StudentsReview 427-173426 427-173426 427 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive I could not afford the tuition of a higher-tier school nor could I afford the cost of room and board. The decision was simple. I commuted to NEIU. I spent long hours studying and preparing for class. I succeeded and graduated with honors. From there I was awarded a graduate assistantship at a more expensive (much more expensive) private university.

I cannot understand the vitriol directed at NEIU. Of course, the administration was not perfect. Nonetheless, what public institution (especially in the state of Illinois) operates with streamlined efficiency? The professors were genuinely interested in my success. They engaged me. Because of Dr. Tuck, I still read books on the contemporary history of various parts of Sub-Saharan Africa, especially Zimbabwe and South Africa. Many students complained about Dr. Riess. I appreciated the rigor of his classes as well as his high expectations. Dr. Sochen had a gift for teaching history through literature. (Where else would I have picked up a John Updike novel?) Some professors were more challenging than others. For the critics of NEIU, I challenge you to find a school that doesn?t have a mixed bag of faculty.

As for my classmates, some students were not engaged. Perhaps they think that learning is a passive activity. It is not. I also attended classes with ambitious and motivated students. We had meaningful dialogue in the classroom. Beyond studying for finals in the library, I did not interact much with other students outside of the classroom. This did not surprise me. NEIU is a commuter school. A lively campus life is not built around commuting students who also work.

In hindsight, I am happy that I chose NEIU. I am gainfully employed in a career that relates directly to my undergraduate work. And, thank god, I am not paying off students loans like many of my colleagues and friends. Thank you, Northeastern.
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 05:41:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about NEIU/NIU for Anthropologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html The administration is horrible. The Staff is rude, act like your bothering them, out for charging you even when your are not enrolled in class for a semester.... Sat, 23 May 2015 09:22:47 GMT StudentsReview 427-161807 427-161807 427 42 Anthropology Male Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Negative The administration is horrible. The Staff is rude, act like your bothering them, out for charging you even when your are not enrolled in class for a semester. Sat, 23 May 2015 09:22:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about NEIU/NIU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html If you are minority, don't attend this university as students with color are treated differently. There are departments in this University filled with staff members that are prejudice anyone of color.... Mon, 13 Apr 2015 04:08:18 GMT StudentsReview 427-159430 427-159430 427 38 Psychology Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Neutral If you are minority, don't attend this university as students with color are treated differently. There are departments in this University filled with staff members that are prejudice anyone of color. Mon, 13 Apr 2015 04:08:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about NEIU/NIU for Music Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html After moving to Chicago from Michigan, I first attended NEIU to obtain a post-baccalaureate teaching certificate in music. The contacts and experience gained during my time in that program helped me ... Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:00:23 GMT StudentsReview 427-156009 427-156009 427 49 Music Education Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive After moving to Chicago from Michigan, I first attended NEIU to obtain a post-baccalaureate teaching certificate in music. The contacts and experience gained during my time in that program helped me obtain a high school teaching job at a Chicago north shore suburb. After teaching for a few years, I went back to NEIU to complete a master's degree in music. Immediately following the completion of that degree, I now teach at the elementary level in a near-north suburb. I know of several NEIU master's grads who have gone on to complete doctoral degrees at high-profile institutions like Northwestern University.

I found the music and education faculty at NEIU to be well-qualified, engaging, and inviting. Unlike the major state university where I completed my bachelor's, the professors at NEIU are truly vested in students' success, not weeding students out. Classes are only taught by full professors, never graduate students (like most large universities). If you fully apply yourself there, you will reap the rewards.

There's a reason that Northeastern ranked among most diverse universities, lowest student debt in U.S. News & World Report. I found NEIU to provide the best possible education for the cost, not a bill of goods like some schools. If you want a great education at an affordable price, you won't do better in Chicago.
Wed, 07 Jan 2015 12:00:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about NEIU/NIU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html For the price, it's not bad. But you definitely get what you pay for. My experience with some of the professors have been great, I think there's some real gems here who care about the students and wan... Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:03:25 GMT StudentsReview 427-127058 427-127058 427 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Neutral For the price, it's not bad. But you definitely get what you pay for. My experience with some of the professors have been great, I think there's some real gems here who care about the students and want them to learn. Obviously this has just been in certain departments, my experience in some departments have been less satisfactory. Some professors have the type of teaching that I would expect at a community college, which makes sense. You're paying near community college prices.
But even the great professors doesn't distract from how awful administration is. At every turn, it really seems like the administration just does not want people to go to that school. Nobody ever seems to be working, they all give you non answers or completely false information. Everyone from financial aid to academic advisors. If you go here, my advice would be to always be on top of your own things but you cannot count on faculty here to guide you in the right directions. And definitely don't go for questions, make sure to at least try to figure it out on your own.
It also doesn't surprise me that anybody rarely goes on to graduate school from this university. And if you ask the professors for help with graduate school, they will be completely surprised about you wanting to go and unhelpful. None of them, not even my academic advisor, seemed to know how many recommendations were needed to get in and everyone had a different answer about who was best to ask for one. And even though I asked way in advance, in the summer, I was still told that the person would be able to "just put their name down but will not be able to write anything". On what planet would you just have to put your name down for an academic recommendation.
That being said, this school is what you make of it. You can have a really good time and have a quality education if you go into it knowing that you will have to work extremely hard to make the experience worthwhile. Not worth it, guys. There's better schools in Chicago for a little more money.
Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:03:25 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NEIU_comments.html