StudentsReview - Northwestern University - Life at NUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html Life at NU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about NU for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html Something the film major who posted before me didn't mention. CLAYTON BROWN IS THE MAN!!! His classes make NU's RTVF program super fun.... Mon, 09 Dec 2013 07:52:01 GMT StudentsReview 429-98221 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 429-98221 429 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive Something the film major who posted before me didn't mention.
CLAYTON BROWN IS THE MAN!!! His classes make NU's RTVF program super fun.
Mon, 09 Dec 2013 07:52:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about NU for Chemistryhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html don't know about other majors, but awesome chemistry program here, one of the best in the nation. not easy though, and kids here aren't really friendly.... Sun, 24 Nov 2013 02:20:11 GMT StudentsReview 429-97393 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 429-97393 429 9 Chemistry Male Undergraduate Class 2013 3rd Year Positive don't know about other majors, but awesome chemistry program here, one of the best in the nation. not easy though, and kids here aren't really friendly. Sun, 24 Nov 2013 02:20:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about NU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html Like many others, I made quite a few mistakes in regards to my college experience. Out of all the schools I got into, UChicago was probably the best fit for me. I did not go though, because I was ... Sun, 24 Nov 2013 02:04:35 GMT StudentsReview 429-97392 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 429-97392 429 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2012 4th Year Positive Like many others, I made quite a few mistakes in regards to my college experience.

Out of all the schools I got into, UChicago was probably the best fit for me. I did not go though, because I was naive and fixated on going for a film degree, despite my parents' well-intentioned warnings that young people are fickle and can lose interest in things quickly. Moreover, the prevailing reputation of UChicago as a place where fun goes to die and where the squirrels are cuter than the girls also steered me away. So I went to Northwestern, seduced by its talk of a Northwestern Mafia and the lakefront. That was one mistake. (I was really heartbroken when I visited some friends at UChicago as a junior and instantly felt at home in the presence of oddballs. By that point, I had lost interest in film and realized I could care less about pre-professionalism.)

I started out pre-med, math, and RTVF. At the end of freshman year, I switched to pre-med, bio, and RTVF, because the stress of juggling three entirely separate tracks was just too much for my immature time management abilities. That was another mistake -- I'll now have to make up all that math in grad school.

And social life -- that was a whole series of small mistakes. For three years, I did not socially feel at home at Northwestern. Yes, as others have said, the Greek scene dominates. Yes, you can avoid it and still have a great social life, but it takes some experience, confidence, and initiative. I found myself having to aggressively check in with, almost court people who I thought I clicked with in clubs or classes. The aggressiveness led to some embarrassing situations with people who did not want to reciprocate, but especially in the sciences, I remember student culture being cold enough that no introductions would happen unless someone broke the ice first.(Future NU pre-meds with no intention of going Greek, definitely shake hands with those around you. Without access to a test bank, you will need study buddies.) Being an arts major did help. In fact, I'd argue that the RTVF and theater communities share many qualities with frats with their cliquishness.

I am glad I resisted peer pressure and did not go Greek. However, I was not secure enough to resist other elements of peer pressure. In my experience, there was a big emphasis on drinking and smoking weed to be cool. Waking up with my head throbbing from being so drunk, so cross-faded, missing all my money from my wallet, angry texts on my phone from people I had hurt while in an altered state of consciousness, I am ashamed of those memories. On the academic side, some will brag about being smart enough that they can skip class, party four nights a week, while still landing on the top of the curve, and they will be praised for this. I tried that, and my grades tanked for a little while. Do not listen to those guys. They study while no one is looking.

I did finally find "my circle" as a senior, and while those friendships were cultivated late in the game, they have developed into deeply fulfilling relationships. It is worthwhile to keep in mind that with an undergrad population of 8000+, you will eventually find people who float your boat.

Ultimately, do I regret coming here? No.

A few other random points:

-Quarter system. Very stressful. But you do learn more, and it makes double majoring easier at Northwestern than many other elite schools. I do not regret double majoring -- it allowed me to justify a frivolous major to my parents, and gave me a fallback option that I am beyond grateful for, since I lost interest in a film career.

-On a related note, this may be the best school in terms of getting a hybrid, curricular experience between the arts and sciences. Doubling across schools is incredibly easy.

-As long as you aren't an engineering major or ISP, Northwestern's course load will be more forgiving (read: easier) than that which you would find at say, an MIT, Caltech, or UChicago. If you need intellectual rigor 24/7 all the time, this is a bad thing, but the advantage in having a few more joke classes to balance out the hard ones is that it gives you more leeway for f***ups. You can have that awful night, week, month, and upon realizing how much you've screwed up, study come hell or highwater for three nights straight to get back in the game. My f***ups -- I do bitterly regret them, but they've left me with a better understanding and a better confidence in who I am, what works for me. I'm glad I didn't learn these lessons after college. Social savvy, being a good person, like all other skills, their improvement requires practice.

-For those nights where I could no longer bear the party scene, I would run into Chicago. The city taught me a lot, in addition to my education. Convenient, relative safe access to public transportation is a boon for NU.

-For all the talk about how "normal" NU is, there is some really weird shit that makes this school super fun. Wrestlepocalypse.
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 02:04:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about NU for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html This school will work you. IT's rigorous academics and wide breadth of students groups to join and things to do will keep you running 24 hours a day. Remember to get sleep and relax once and a while. ... Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:25:31 GMT StudentsReview 429-97208 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 429-97208 429 58 Political Science Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Advice This school will work you. IT's rigorous academics and wide breadth of students groups to join and things to do will keep you running 24 hours a day. Remember to get sleep and relax once and a while. Not getting that sophomore summer internship won't really hurt your job prospects. Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:25:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about NU for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html I'll offer my perspective as a female Latino, east coaster from the tri state area. First, NU is going on the up up up. Morty (our president) wants NU in the top 10 in usnews in the next 5 years (w... Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:06:55 GMT StudentsReview 429-95908 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 429-95908 429 8 Chemical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Advice I'll offer my perspective as a female Latino, east coaster from the tri state area.

First, NU is going on the up up up. Morty (our president) wants NU in the top 10 in usnews in the next 5 years (we'll see) and I know I wouldn't be admitted if I applied this year. 3 years ago people would say "Oh that's in Seattle right?" or "My niece went there - she loves BOSTON." But the people I talk to now (especially the ones at my internship) know how prestigious NU is.

In terms of academics, it's GREAT. McCormick (the school of engineering) is all about collaboration, so most of the stuff I'm involved in requires teamwork, which I ADORE because you get to work those interpersonal and communication skills which is BIG in the professional world. (Not to be biased or anything, but I felt that engineers tend to be more genuine and down-to-earth, then students from other schools.)

Sports are big and FREE to go to if you're into that. Club Recommendations (shameless plug for some things I'm involved in): Camp Kesem (I got to work with SUPER COOL peeps), Design for America (some of the stuff we made WERE IMPLEMENTED omg). AVOID the clubs that treat their exec boards like they are so almighty and above their regular members.

Greek life = too much influence. Half of the people involved were antisocial and unpopular in high school and wanted to "change" their image so now they're acting all high and mighty. The other half just wants to party under the guise of a "sisterhood/brotherhood and community service" They make no effort to include minorities and low income students like myself.

Social wise, I'm a pretty outgoing, but nerdy in a way girl and I found it was hard (but not impossible) to find people who VALUED LEARNING above getting an A in the class and go to bank ABC. Definitely seek out the former. Nights where I get to talk about politics and philosophy, and go out to see the Chicago Symphony or laugh about Second City MADE MY TIME at NU AWESOME.

Weather - Cold? Trust me, you'll get used to it. After experiencing my first winter in Chicago, I was immune to the 30 40 degree weather in NYC. Immune as in I was fine with just a hoodie (!!). Two years ago, I would be wearing a freakin 3 layers + down jacket LOL.

WOWW this post turned out longer than I thought. Anyway to you prospies, good luck! I was in your shoes two years ago - reading reviews like they were the bible but don't let any bad review get to you. What I said here is only MY EXPERIENCE so there's bound to be good and bad reviews. So do I regret turning down 2 ivies (Cornell and UPenn)? Not in the least cus we got Chicago baby!!
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:06:55 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/NWU_comments.html