StudentsReview - The University of Mobile - Life at UMobile Copyright 2022 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html Life at UMobile - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMobile for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html UMobile is definitely a school that has departments that it seeks to excel and grow students in more than others. Unfortunately, I was not in a department it sought to truly train students. I majored ... Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:50:27 GMT StudentsReview 43-175335 43-175335 43 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Neutral UMobile is definitely a school that has departments that it seeks to excel and grow students in more than others. Unfortunately, I was not in a department it sought to truly train students. I majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and Advertising. I wish I would have gone to a school that had professors in the Business Department that taught you about growing your portfolio, how to target a specific PR/Advertising job, key things you needed to know when pursuing a career in that field, etc. Instead it was all very general and basic. I had one professor who was an adjunct. He taught Marketing and was the only class I felt challenged in and I learned a lot from while in his class. I wish my time at UM had been more driven in that regards because I feel I could have known more in my field of study to be able to push me in the direction of where I'd like to be, instead of having to learn what others learned at college that prepared them for their career.
In regards to social/college life, UM is very focused on the students who live on campus. If you are a commuter, as I was, it's very difficult to become involved in the activities on campus. They should offer activities for all students, not just the elite who are able to afford housing.
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:50:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMobile for Religion/Religioushttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html I went at the end of the 90s when it was still liberal arts. I found that the diversity of education at the time was wonderful. However, around 2000 or so, they started replacing liberal professors wi... Fri, 28 Dec 2012 04:57:03 GMT StudentsReview 43-91213 43-91213 43 39 Religion/Religious Male Undergraduate Class 2003 4th Year Neutral I went at the end of the 90s when it was still liberal arts. I found that the diversity of education at the time was wonderful. However, around 2000 or so, they started replacing liberal professors with those that toe more of a conservative Christian line. The school is billed as a liberal arts school that "Changes lives to change the world", but really it is a seclusive religious school that exists to afford its students a non-threatening Christian-infused college experience. Fri, 28 Dec 2012 04:57:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMobile for Religion/Religioushttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html The University of Mobile has transformed from a Liberal Arts college to a Christian University with a goal to teach all curricula through a "Christian World-view." The militaristic re-alignment with S... Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:35:42 GMT StudentsReview 43-66262 43-66262 43 39 Religion/Religious Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral The University of Mobile has transformed from a Liberal Arts college to a Christian University with a goal to teach all curricula through a "Christian World-view." The militaristic re-alignment with Southern Baptist ideals has resulted in a number of highly-educated, widely published professors to be terminated in favor of more Christian "Tow-the-line" types who can lead you to Christ before they can teach you facts. I think UM has lost its focus as an academic institution, and should change its name to reflect its OVERT Christianity. Liberal Arts? Not hardly. Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:35:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UMobile for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html If you want to attend a small university that will treat you like a human being instead of just a number, the the University of Mobile is a good choice. Being a Southern Baptist University, there is ... Wed, 09 May 2007 09:07:50 GMT StudentsReview 43-38473 43-38473 43 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2009 3rd Year Positive If you want to attend a small university that will treat you like a human being instead of just a number, the the University of Mobile is a good choice. Being a Southern Baptist University, there is a great emphasis on Christanity but not in an oppresive way. Ethics and morality are stressed in all aspects of campus life. The atmosphere is conservative, but open to varying viewpoints. If you are liberal in your religious and political beliefs, this may not be the school for you. The campus is attractive and the faculty and staff are very nice. Like any school, you get what you put into it. There are student clubs and organizations and NAIA sports. Mobile and the white sand beaches of the Gulf of Mexico are close by. Wed, 09 May 2007 09:07:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UMobile for Religion/Religioushttp://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html I have thoroughly enjoyed the University of Mobile. It has been great, and I actually began to enjoy attending school when I came here. I had been to two large state schools, and listened to profess... Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:59:53 GMT StudentsReview 43-19111 43-19111 43 39 Religion/Religious Male Undergraduate Class 2006 3rd Year Positive I have thoroughly enjoyed the University of Mobile. It has been great, and I actually began to enjoy attending school when I came here. I had been to two large state schools, and listened to professors rant about their personal opinions, disregard students and test you in arrogance. UM is not like that. It is very likely that you will run into your professors outside of class and they will probably care about you enough to stop and talk. Not every professor is that way, but most. Sometimes, the students can be a little high and mighty, but that's not completely uncommon on any college campus.
I have been asked before if you need to be a Baptist to attend UM (since it is a Baptist school). The answer is no. People of all denominations will feel comfortable here (two of my favorite professors have been of other denominations, and they seem to work just fine with other staff). However, if you are not a Christian, you may find that there is not much for you. Almost everything extra-curricular that is offered has strong Christian roots. From concerts to mission trips Bible studies, there is a lot to do. You may likely find yourself feeling like there is nothing to do, however, if those are not your cup of tea. I don't want to discourage anyone whose faith is not the same as that of the school from attending, just a fair warning. You would find that not every student or professor is a Christian, and of those who are Christians, most are not obnoxiously dogmatic. Yes, we are conservative in our faith and beliefs, but that does not necessarily make us undesirable people.
The religion department is great. All the professors have acquired Ph.D's (except one who is working on his now). They have studied much and are trustworthy and gracious. The education department is also great. Humanities are a little weak, but not bad. Business is about standard. There is an emphasis on sports, but not an over-emphasis. The teams bring in students from around the world, which adds some great diversity to the campus (along with great accents). Overall, I am happy with my decision to attend here at UM. I would recommend it to others, and would make the same decision again (only I would have started here too!). Hope these comments have been of some benefit.
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:59:53 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AL/UM_comments.html