StudentsReview - School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Life at SAIC/STAIO-Chicago Copyright 2023 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html Life at SAIC/STAIO-Chicago - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SAIC/STAIO-Chicago for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html SAIC is for ridiculously intelligent rich kids with a drug problem.... Tue, 21 Mar 2017 07:22:24 GMT StudentsReview 437-179285 437-179285 437 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Male Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Neutral SAIC is for ridiculously intelligent rich kids with a drug problem. Tue, 21 Mar 2017 07:22:24 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about SAIC/STAIO-Chicago for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html LET ME HELP YOU. I want this review to be completely directed towards prospective students deciding on whether or not to attend SAIC, or art school in general for that matter. 1) If you do not com... Tue, 21 Mar 2017 06:30:47 GMT StudentsReview 437-179284 437-179284 437 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Advice LET ME HELP YOU. I want this review to be completely directed towards prospective students deciding on whether or not to attend SAIC, or art school in general for that matter.

1) If you do not come from an affluent family please do yourself a favor and do not come here. In fact, please DO NOT go to art school...PERIOD. We live in a new world economy now, and the jobs that you will be qualified for post graduation will be the most competitive (cough..academia..) to get and will pay the LEAST. Anyone with half a brain (and someone who doesn't have a trust fund to fall back on..) understands that the only way to make enough money to support yourself or a family one day in the United States 2017 requires going into tech, engineering, med, business or finance. Did you know that if you study computer science and learn Python or C++ you can get a software engineering job straight out of college that pays 70-100k? With a BFA you only qualify for jobs that pay 20-32k a year, and the only way to save yourself is to go to grad school and learn a different skill to get a new career. The ONLY people that will benefit from SAIC are people from wealthy families that can always use their family connections to land an unpaid internship and live off of mom and dad while they build their fake career as a blogger, only to end up working in HR at Goldman Sachs because their mom and dad decided to cut them off. This school only makes sense for the financially elite that don't actually ever have to get a "real" job. If thats not you...DO NOT GO TO ART SCHOOL, please.
If you are an artist, keep your studio practice and attend residencies and apply for grants. Become friends with influential people, network the fuck out of the art world the best you can. But do all of this while holding down your real 9-5 job that you got because you DIDN'T go to art school....

2.) SAIC is a fucking fantastic liberal arts education. You will become a brilliant thinker if you apply yourself at this school. But, see above, becoming a scholar of Derrida, Baudrillard and Hegel doesn't get you a job when you graduate. ( And all of you writing majors who scoff at this, the chances of making enough money to be a functioning adult in this society as an editor or writer are slim as fuck, considering the intense competition. P.S. the people who become editors and writers are extremely lucky and talented, and have wealthy supportive parents that paid for like three unpaid internships so they had enough experience to land a job.)

3) My fist day of classes at SAIC I was in drawing class and our 86 year old instructor told us that if we went here we would have to marry rich. I'm not even kidding guys!

4) There are NO straight men here. Time to get a 40 year old investment banker boyfriend that will have strange fetishes and love bragging to his co-workers that he is dating "an artist."

5) I have met some of the best people here. But after you graduate, you and your friends will go through a traumatic "waking up" period where you realize you should have said "yes" to your 40 year old investment bankers proposal last May because now you are working for $12/hr and your ultimate frenemy just got an unpaid internship in Switzerland.

6) If you go here and graduate with a BFA, you will either be going back to grad school for another degree or will become a world and culture shifting entreprenuer that starts a company that makes millions. Because your so brilliant now that you went to SAIC.

7) Everyone smokes here. Don't start and don't do heroine either.
Tue, 21 Mar 2017 06:30:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SAIC/STAIO-Chicago for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html I graduated with a BFA and have been out of college desperately looking for work in my field for a year now and still nothing. The school's job placement is a joke. If you can land an internship then ... Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:39:06 GMT StudentsReview 437-174434 437-174434 437 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Negative I graduated with a BFA and have been out of college desperately looking for work in my field for a year now and still nothing. The school's job placement is a joke. If you can land an internship then maybe that company will hire you full time maybe not. But good luck even getting one. The school refuses to keep track/acknowledge the unemployment rate of its students (last time I checked other sources it was about 30%). Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:39:06 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about SAIC/STAIO-Chicago for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html A few weeks ago some us were smoking in front of one of the dorms and a woman stopped to hassle us about air pollution, then looked us up and down and muttered "You're a bunch of weirdos!" One the gir... Thu, 21 Apr 2016 11:53:14 GMT StudentsReview 437-173346 437-173346 437 60 Art & Design Department Male Undergraduate Class 2017 3rd Year Positive A few weeks ago some us were smoking in front of one of the dorms and a woman stopped to hassle us about air pollution, then looked us up and down and muttered "You're a bunch of weirdos!" One the girl next to mes stepped up a few paces to the lady, squinted intently at her and replied defiantly: "Uh, *yeah*?" Thu, 21 Apr 2016 11:53:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about SAIC/STAIO-Chicago for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html This is not a school for people looking to refine their techniques and gaining mastery of a medium. If anything it is the opposite, where dabbling in everything and anything is encouraged. I don't com... Mon, 03 Aug 2015 02:00:29 GMT StudentsReview 437-168540 437-168540 437 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Advice This is not a school for people looking to refine their techniques and gaining mastery of a medium. If anything it is the opposite, where dabbling in everything and anything is encouraged. I don't come from an affluent background at all, quite the opposite, I come from an immigrant family and going to SAIC was a huge financial burden. I went to community college for two years then transferred in, with a help of merit scholarships and some grants. I still had to borrow a lot of money tho. I knew what I was getting into from the get go, and now I am paying for it.

A lot of skills I had to learn on my own, and you have to be willing to put in extra time doing research. I think what I got the most out of my time here was learning how to THINK. (yes, you can do this pretty much anywhere, or on your own )SAIC worked for me despite everything. I almost wished I had been here all 4 years, but frankly if I had come in as a freshman I probably would have dropped out because I had no idea what the fuck i was doing.

Being a transfer student was different, since I had a stronger academic background (academic classes here are a joke, just take all the Gen Ed requirements elsewhere and save yourself 50K). I really appreciate the resources though. Being here, allowed me to build a framework for myself and my practice, and met amazing people who took me out of my comfort zone and challenged me everyday.

There have been 4-5 faculty members that have honestly changed my life, but it was not always the case in all the classes. Some were mediocre, some where life changing. It is definitely up to the student what they receive from this education. There are no grades, it is a pass/fail system, so you need to be self-aware to know what your benchmark for success. If you're one to get competitive about coursework this is not the place for you--cooperation and collaboration is encouraged.

I'm grateful for my experience here, but it's not for everyone.
Mon, 03 Aug 2015 02:00:29 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/StAIC_comments.html