StudentsReview - The University of Illinois Chicago - Life at UIC Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Life at UIC - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UIC for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html The graphic design program is very new to UIC and quite frankly it should have been kept in the oven a little longer. The Art, Architecture, and Design building was supposed to be completely done with... Tue, 17 Mar 2015 02:28:27 GMT StudentsReview 444-158353 444-158353 444 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Negative The graphic design program is very new to UIC and quite frankly it should have been kept in the oven a little longer. The Art, Architecture, and Design building was supposed to be completely done with renovations before the first design students came in, but that simply was not the case. Often times you will hear construction through the thin walls while in Class. The building has misleading winding stair areas (some leading to nowhere.) I was hoping we would have computer labs seeing as how it is a computer oriented major but instead we have to bring our laptops in every day and hope there is a power chord available. With the amount we spend on our lab fees, we should have free printing instead of off brand moleskine notebooks. We see the same exact teachers every semester and if you really don't like one, oh fucking well. Registering for classes is a nightmare for this major, we cannot choose which instructor we prefer nor can we choose proper class times to work with our work schedule ( I personally want more 9am classes so I can work in the same day to help pay for school.) the lack of lockers In this building is very upsetting to those who commute to school. Often times you will be expected to come into class when most of the work you could have done sitting at home on the computer.

I hate this school, I really fucking do. This program needs to be updated yesterday. You would think graphic design would be a more updated major but alas it's ran by people stuck in the dada movement who are obsessed with Paul rand and Saul bass.
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 02:28:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UIC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html College is really what you make of it. I'm a first year student here at UIC and my experience has been mostly positive. I didn't apply myself as much as I would have liked to this first year, and even... Tue, 23 Dec 2014 06:43:06 GMT StudentsReview 444-155492 444-155492 444 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive College is really what you make of it. I'm a first year student here at UIC and my experience has been mostly positive. I didn't apply myself as much as I would have liked to this first year, and even ended up dropping classes (which is okay) but it was completely avoidable if I had just attempted to study. You could say I became careless and too involved with the fun parts of college such as making friends and being involved in other UIC events. The quality of the education you will receive greatly depends on your teachers, but I have not had a teacher who was overly lacking. If you put in honest effort and try to gain something from your time at UIC you will be sure to reap its benefits. Tue, 23 Dec 2014 06:43:06 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UIC for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html I'm currently attending uic. As pre nursing student. Let me tell you... pre nursing does not mean you are garenteed to college of nursing. Lot of students here is competitive, and if you are not will... Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:18:48 GMT StudentsReview 444-152321 444-152321 444 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Negative I'm currently attending uic. As pre nursing student. Let me tell you... pre nursing does not mean you are garenteed to college of nursing. Lot of students here is competitive, and if you are not willing to face that do not come here. Medical district is 1.2 miles away, and literally all my friends talk about med med med. and this school have no social life. It doesn't have a good community since lot of people are commuters. So. If you just come here to study and want toget into medical programs. Your life is all about focus on your school. I'm transfering to uiuc. I know that I will have to face difficult courses just like any universities. But if you want a higher quality education go somewhere else. People say reputation doesn't matter in America... I know that reputation is huge in my home country but reputation truly tells you why that school derserves better then others. So many times I felt I deserve more then this... When I see others who doesn't give shit about school and spending their college just to get by.. Sometimes I wonder why i am here.. Well. I'm moving out. Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:18:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UIC for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html You have to be brilliant to be a UIC student its hard competing against these Asians they are just geniuses.... Wed, 08 Oct 2014 06:08:27 GMT StudentsReview 444-141044 444-141044 444 79 Finance Female Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Positive You have to be brilliant to be a UIC student its hard competing against these Asians they are just geniuses. Wed, 08 Oct 2014 06:08:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UIC for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Overall thoughts: I left Hawaii to go to UIC and I do not regret it. UIC is surrounded by the city of Chicago so instead of being encouraged to do things on campus, I often found that my school work... Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:49:39 GMT StudentsReview 444-116724 444-116724 444 44 Criminal Female Undergraduate Class 2011 4th Year Neutral Overall thoughts: I left Hawaii to go to UIC and I do not regret it. UIC is surrounded by the city of Chicago so instead of being encouraged to do things on campus, I often found that my school work took me into the heart of the city. When I worked/lived in campus housing, they would often have discounted broadway theater tickets. When I took music classes we went to see the Chicago sympathy Orchestra. In my Criminal Justice field work, I assisted Juvenile POs on the job. If you want to go to a school where you want a "college town feel", a sense of "closeness" and "surburbia", this may not be the school for you. UIC has a lot of opportunities to explore Chicago on a college budget. They make you pay for a U-Pass for a reason.

Housing: The East side of campus ( CMN, CMS, CTY, and CMW) are where most freshmen are placed. These are the oldest residences so do not expect to much. The major plus side about living here is that 1.) you are the closest to your classes, 2.) you get that stereotypical college res life feel. The south side of campus ( JST, MRH, TBH) are where most upper classmen live. MRH and TBH are apartment style so you get a kitchen. There is a 4 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and even a studio option. JST, the newest building, is "cluster style" which means you have about 6-8 people who share a living space and a couple of bathrooms ( no kitchen). Sometimes underclassmen are placed on the west side of campus ( PSR or SRH). These are also traditional style stereotypical res life rooms, but they are more updated. The down side about living here is that you will probably take the bus to campus during the cold months. Freshman are usually never placed in SSR.

Safety: People are understandably concerned about living in Chicago. Is it safe? I found it to be so. Around all three parts of campus you will find emergency buttons that will contact you with the UIC police ( which are are REAL police btw, not just "rent-a-cops"). Secondly, when the UIC bus stops running ( I think it is around 11:00pm, but that may have changed) Students can call the UIC red car service which will pick them up from there current location and take them to another UIC residence of there choice. This comes in handy for those who get placed on the west side of campus and may find themselves working late in the library or something.

Opportunities: I found that I had plenty of opportunities at UIC. I was always employed through different departments. Sometimes I had work study and sometimes I did not. I communicated with my professors about what I want out of my program and they directed me to the people who would give me the most out of what I wanted. (Granted, I understand all departments are different)

Advising: So, during my undergrad I was in the college of LAS. My friends constantly complained about the advisers. Personally, I never had an issue with them, but I did find that working with the advisers in my major made me feel more "Cared for." There are a lot of students in LAS, so I can understand why some students may have felt that way.
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:49:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html