StudentsReview - The University of Illinois Chicago - Life at UIChttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Life at UIC - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about UIC for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html UIC has two basic student types -- those that go to class and run to catch the train/beat the traffic/etc, and those that invest in their experience. As you can imagine, group one thinks they're bein... Sat, 01 Feb 2014 12:29:40 GMT StudentsReview 444-100918 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-100918 444 17 English Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Advice UIC has two basic student types -- those that go to class and run to catch the train/beat the traffic/etc, and those that invest in their experience. As you can imagine, group one thinks they're being denied a college experience and complain to website surveys. The rest of the student body joins organizations, forms study groups, hangs out at the Idea Commons, goes to the hot pool with friends, and explores the city. That group generally loves UIC. He's the trick. YOU GET TO CHOOSE WHICH GROUP YOU'RE IN. Choose wisely. ;) Sat, 01 Feb 2014 12:29:40 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UIC for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html I am going to right now at Mather High School for the senior year. So I am prod to say that I am Mather High School student. My experience is so good at that school. Every teacher take care of student... Thu, 02 Jan 2014 08:56:07 GMT StudentsReview 444-99529 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-99529 444 24 Mechanical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2014 1st Year Positive I am going to right now at Mather High School for the senior year. So I am prod to say that I am Mather High School student. My experience is so good at that school. Every teacher take care of student life. My own experience is good with every teacher, and teacher give me suggestion for the study. I want to become a Mechanical Engineer so I want to graduate at University of Illinois at Chicago, because UIC is so good for the science student so that is why i want to join at UIC. Thu, 02 Jan 2014 08:56:07 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UIC for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Let me start out by stating, looks truly are not everything. Yes, UIC does not look like UIUC or NIU or Harvard for that matter, UIC looks like UIC. It has its own quirky qualities that I thought were... Sat, 30 Nov 2013 11:57:49 GMT StudentsReview 444-97710 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-97710 444 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Male Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Positive Let me start out by stating, looks truly are not everything. Yes, UIC does not look like UIUC or NIU or Harvard for that matter, UIC looks like UIC. It has its own quirky qualities that I thought were pretty charming, majority of the buildings serve as a sort of homage to the brutalist era of architecture of which it was built in. I respect history and enjoy that it is not washed over with idealized, prim "college" architecture and manicured lawns. But hey, to each his own.

My time as an undergraduate in the college of Art has been amazing, but I will say, regardless of what college/field you're in at UIC, you will get out of this university what you put into it. Honestly, that's the protocol of any investment I believe. I know studying art would be ridiculously non pragmatic, financially, given the condition of this slow moving economy, but I knew practicing art was what I wanted to do, there was no other option. Coming to UIC allowed me to build the framework of my practice in a way no other University in Chicago (or Illinois) would have allowed me to. From the 24hr facilities, being in Chicago where contemporary art is on the rise, super supportive and in-the-field faculty, vast research resources, decent class sizes (usually no more than 20), affordability, I could go on. I am truly grateful for the education I received here, and the number of opportunities that education has since led me to. Being a UIC alumni holds some weight in the US market, and I always feel so bummed when I hear or see fellow alumni bashing a great university because a buildings wall had a crack.

If you think that college is supposed to look a certain way, or somehow entitles you to a predefined experience, I believe you're approaching it from the wrong (and non existing) angle. Surely, UIC is not for you if you're basing your decision off of the aesthetics of campuses. However, if you want to take advantage of an outstanding education without breaking the bank, and can deal with a cracked wall or two, apply to UIC! There aren't too many trust fund babies around these parts.
Sat, 30 Nov 2013 11:57:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UIC for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Just graduated from UIC and have so many regrets. It is a horrible school with large classes, a passive student body and poor facilities, especially the library. It has a cool rec. center, but that i... Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:28:53 GMT StudentsReview 444-95093 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-95093 444 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2013 5th Year Neutral Just graduated from UIC and have so many regrets. It is a horrible school with large classes, a passive student body and poor facilities, especially the library. It has a cool rec. center, but that is just one bright spot on a grey, concrete laden campus. You would think that an U of I school would have reasonable standards, but UIC is limping along with decaying buildings and a dispirited faculty. I am a chem major and the chemistry labs on the 4th floor of SES are just filthy and have the look of a patched up boat; floating but still sinking. A prof. told me that they have been waiting for 20 years for a new building, but money from the state has dried up. Conditions are so poor that recruiting new faculty is a problem I was told. I just feel cheated compared to NIU and UIUC. Only, thing I can do is go to a better grad. program to make up for the antiquated education at UIC. Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:28:53 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UIC for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html I just finished up at UIC and in the end really dislike this school. It took me too long to figure out how inferior UIC is to UIUC or even MSU or Iowa State. First, the campus is really ugly, concrete... Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:36:17 GMT StudentsReview 444-95035 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-95035 444 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Negative I just finished up at UIC and in the end really dislike this school. It took me too long to figure out how inferior UIC is to UIUC or even MSU or Iowa State. First, the campus is really ugly, concrete dominated and cramped. There are times during changing classes in which the sidewalks are crammed to capacity with students and the mass of students move slowly like lambs to the slaughter. Too many of the buildings are very confusing to navigate and are even more ugly on the inside. The worst part is that no one cares about the substandard facilities and buildings, even when Profs. complain about it. I constantly get lost in BSB and SES because the signade is so poor or does not exist; it is just super frustrating and no one cares. Going to UIC is like entering a maze literally and too often one is lost and reaches dead ends. You have to really work for human treatment by finding and talking with TAs and Profs. I have met too many Profs. that are worn down by the horrible buildings, clueless administration and antiquated teaching facilties. UIC is part of the racial educational disparity in Chicago, with UIC clearly inferior to UIUC, with the majority of white suburban kids, whereas UIC is full of poor, first-time college students of color. It is very upsetting to realize how ones economic status has relegated too many students to a lesser education. I am ashamed of UIC and the stupid PR machine that proclaims excellence above all else, when the campus is so poorly maintained.
If you want a quality education and humane treatment DO NOT GO TO UIC.
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:36:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html