StudentsReview - The University of Illinois Chicago - Life at UIChttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Life at UIC - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UIC for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html I'm currently attending uic. As pre nursing student. Let me tell you... pre nursing does not mean you are garenteed to college of nursing. Lot of students here is competitive, and if you are not will... Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:18:48 GMT StudentsReview 444-152321 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-152321 444 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Negative I'm currently attending uic. As pre nursing student. Let me tell you... pre nursing does not mean you are garenteed to college of nursing. Lot of students here is competitive, and if you are not willing to face that do not come here. Medical district is 1.2 miles away, and literally all my friends talk about med med med. and this school have no social life. It doesn't have a good community since lot of people are commuters. So. If you just come here to study and want toget into medical programs. Your life is all about focus on your school. I'm transfering to uiuc. I know that I will have to face difficult courses just like any universities. But if you want a higher quality education go somewhere else. People say reputation doesn't matter in America... I know that reputation is huge in my home country but reputation truly tells you why that school derserves better then others. So many times I felt I deserve more then this... When I see others who doesn't give shit about school and spending their college just to get by.. Sometimes I wonder why i am here.. Well. I'm moving out. Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:18:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UIC for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html You have to be brilliant to be a UIC student its hard competing against these Asians they are just geniuses.... Wed, 08 Oct 2014 05:08:27 GMT StudentsReview 444-141044 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-141044 444 79 Finance Female Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Positive You have to be brilliant to be a UIC student its hard competing against these Asians they are just geniuses. Wed, 08 Oct 2014 05:08:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UIC for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Overall thoughts: I left Hawaii to go to UIC and I do not regret it. UIC is surrounded by the city of Chicago so instead of being encouraged to do things on campus, I often found that my school work... Tue, 29 Jul 2014 04:49:39 GMT StudentsReview 444-116724 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-116724 444 44 Criminal Female Undergraduate Class 2011 4th Year Neutral Overall thoughts: I left Hawaii to go to UIC and I do not regret it. UIC is surrounded by the city of Chicago so instead of being encouraged to do things on campus, I often found that my school work took me into the heart of the city. When I worked/lived in campus housing, they would often have discounted broadway theater tickets. When I took music classes we went to see the Chicago sympathy Orchestra. In my Criminal Justice field work, I assisted Juvenile POs on the job. If you want to go to a school where you want a "college town feel", a sense of "closeness" and "surburbia", this may not be the school for you. UIC has a lot of opportunities to explore Chicago on a college budget. They make you pay for a U-Pass for a reason.

Housing: The East side of campus ( CMN, CMS, CTY, and CMW) are where most freshmen are placed. These are the oldest residences so do not expect to much. The major plus side about living here is that 1.) you are the closest to your classes, 2.) you get that stereotypical college res life feel. The south side of campus ( JST, MRH, TBH) are where most upper classmen live. MRH and TBH are apartment style so you get a kitchen. There is a 4 bedroom, 2 bedroom, and even a studio option. JST, the newest building, is "cluster style" which means you have about 6-8 people who share a living space and a couple of bathrooms ( no kitchen). Sometimes underclassmen are placed on the west side of campus ( PSR or SRH). These are also traditional style stereotypical res life rooms, but they are more updated. The down side about living here is that you will probably take the bus to campus during the cold months. Freshman are usually never placed in SSR.

Safety: People are understandably concerned about living in Chicago. Is it safe? I found it to be so. Around all three parts of campus you will find emergency buttons that will contact you with the UIC police ( which are are REAL police btw, not just "rent-a-cops"). Secondly, when the UIC bus stops running ( I think it is around 11:00pm, but that may have changed) Students can call the UIC red car service which will pick them up from there current location and take them to another UIC residence of there choice. This comes in handy for those who get placed on the west side of campus and may find themselves working late in the library or something.

Opportunities: I found that I had plenty of opportunities at UIC. I was always employed through different departments. Sometimes I had work study and sometimes I did not. I communicated with my professors about what I want out of my program and they directed me to the people who would give me the most out of what I wanted. (Granted, I understand all departments are different)

Advising: So, during my undergrad I was in the college of LAS. My friends constantly complained about the advisers. Personally, I never had an issue with them, but I did find that working with the advisers in my major made me feel more "Cared for." There are a lot of students in LAS, so I can understand why some students may have felt that way.
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 04:49:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UIC for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html There are great professors here, but they are very few. The majority are unhelpful, arrogant, one-minded, and take a single approach to teaching the material. If you are more receptive to a differen... Mon, 28 Jul 2014 04:43:44 GMT StudentsReview 444-116473 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-116473 444 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2015 2nd Year Negative There are great professors here, but they are very few. The majority are unhelpful, arrogant, one-minded, and take a single approach to teaching the material. If you are more receptive to a different style of teaching then you are on your own (unless you have access to one of the rare, aforementioned great professors). Strong feeling that professors and the department do not care at all about its students or its duty to teach while conducting research. Instead, teaching seems like an annoyance to most of the faculty from a variety of departments.
The university's administration is largely incompetent and unprofessional. Expect unanswered emails and voicemails, and absent personnel when attempting in-person help. Again, when you find the rare professional employee who is enthusiastic to help you they always go above and beyond, but this is not the standard. The focus of the administration strongly feels like it is on their image and how they want the public to view the school and the students, when in practice they do not seem to care about students at all except to the extent that they can be used for the school's PR. I sincerely recommend an alternative school even if it costs a bit more, if you can work out the financials.
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 04:43:44 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UIC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html Social life: My social life was fine. I was commuting but I did manage to make 2-3 close friends who I will probably keep in life. Education: -classes are all curved; impossible exams make this poss... Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:58:18 GMT StudentsReview 444-110758 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 444-110758 444 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2012 3rd Year Negative Social life: My social life was fine. I was commuting but I did manage to make 2-3 close friends who I will probably keep in life.
Education:
-classes are all curved; impossible exams make this possible. Only 10% of the class will get an A (that's 10/100 students). 20% will get B's and the rest (majority) will get C's.
-expect to compete against a lot of Asian pre-medical students, who will often go to great lengths to steal the A's awarded to the 10% of the class- that is cheating by obtaining and often stealing previous exams
Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:58:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IL/UIC_comments.html