StudentsReview - Indiana University Bloomington - Life at IUBhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html Life at IUB - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about IUB for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html Academics: Overall, IU is an amazing school in terms of academics. They have strengths in almost every department -- almost to the point that I'd say they're underrated. First of all, the Jacobs Scho... Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:27:47 GMT StudentsReview 465-104542 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 465-104542 465 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive Academics: Overall, IU is an amazing school in terms of academics. They have strengths in almost every department -- almost to the point that I'd say they're underrated. First of all, the Jacobs School of Music is VERY highly ranked, and the feel that it, along with the many other fine arts programs, brings to the campus is something special in and of itself. Additionally, the Kelley School of Business is one of only three business programs in America that is ranked in the top ten in every single area. Kelley is pretty tough from what I hear, but very rewarding; many Kelley graduates land jobs in New York and Chicago. IU also boasts strengths in its foreign language department, and produces a noteworthy amount of Fullbright Scholars. Lastly, IU is VERY strong in the life sciences. Be warned of this if you have to take a lab course. Given the difficulty of these courses, it's no surprise that IU has one of the highest medical school acceptance rates in the nation. Given all of its academic strengths, IU should honestly be rated in the top 40 or 50 colleges in America, as opposed to #75. If IU added an engineering school, this may just become a reality.

Social Life: IU tends to party. Like a lot. However, I, myself, don't party at all. Never been the type to act really stupid (i.e. get drunk) to fit in with peers, and I'm pretty content here at IU despite that. As far as clubs/organizations, pretty well anything you can think of is available here (search for clubs using MyInvolvement!). If you can't find a club/organizations that fits your needs, you're allowed to start one without any hassle. I recommend not rushing -- or having a whole heck of a lot to do with Greek Life at all. They're pretty exclusive, and if you've ever watched Blue Mountain State, well...that sums up the Greek Life here pretty well.

Students: IU is a heck of a good-looking campus -- in terms of the scenery AND the students. I was always considered to be a really good-looking guy in high school, and here I feel overwhelmingly average lol. The chicks are mind-blowingly hot. Just take my word for it. However, most everybody (except for the incredibly awesome international students) is pretty snooty. So many people keep to themselves, and no one ever makes eye contact or says "you're welcome" when someone thanks them. It's like a big city, which is so weird to me because, unfortunately, I'm from a small town. It's pretty hard to make friends as a result of how stuck up everyone seems to be. I've honestly only made two friends since I've been here, but it's not a huge deal since I'm so incredibly busy with IU's rigor and working part-time. If you're from a suburb of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers, etc.) you'll have NO problem making friends. You'll probably feel like you're in high school again lol. Lastly, IU's student body is incredibly liberal. You're going to have a fun time trying to fit in if you're ultra-conservative.

Little 5: Seek shelter inside. Not in Northwest neighborhood.

Faculty: IU's faculty is world-renowned. This should honestly be expected from a Big 10 University -- or any research institution for that matter. DEFINITELY go to office hours. The most amazing people I've ever met were professors at IU.

Classes: Huge, often in a gigantic lecture hall. Although, the size trickles down as you advance within your major. I say don't let the size get to you. Professors/AI's are actually pretty accessible. And keep in mind, they're being paid not only to research, but ALSO to help their students.

Academic Rigor: The best thing about IU is its SPH-H classes. These classes will definitely inflate you GPA lol. These easier classes are welcomed, though, because IU offers a myriad of very difficult classes as well. Typically, World Language/Culture classes are pretty easy, along with the psychology courses. Among the difficult classes offered at IU are those in math, business, computer science/informatics, and the life sciences.

Job Placement: The Kelley School of Business, The School of Informatics and Computing, and SPEA have terrific job placement rates, and also boast very high salaries. There's also the Applied Physics program that leads to employment (I think this is our answer to an engineering program). Other than what I've mentioned, everything at IU is intended to lead to further study (i.e. graduate school, medical school).

To conclude, I'm glad I chose IU. This is coming from someone who spent a semester at ISU (and made a 4.0 while sleeping 12 hours a day) and a semester at Purdue (which is also an amazing university). I say give IU a shot. You're never going to experience so much variety, and so many opportunities in your life.
Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:27:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about IUB for Anthropologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html Bloomington is a beautiful and charming city, and IU is fantastic. I love the anthro department!... Sat, 22 Mar 2014 01:58:50 GMT StudentsReview 465-104272 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 465-104272 465 42 Anthropology Female Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Positive Bloomington is a beautiful and charming city, and IU is fantastic. I love the anthro department! Sat, 22 Mar 2014 01:58:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about IUB for Neuroscience/Cognitive Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html I am currently a second semester freshman here at IU. This school definitely isn't what I thought it would be. I would have to say IU is a very overrated school. They say the business school is top no... Sun, 09 Feb 2014 09:33:33 GMT StudentsReview 465-101260 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 465-101260 465 69 Neuroscience/Cognitive Science Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative I am currently a second semester freshman here at IU. This school definitely isn't what I thought it would be. I would have to say IU is a very overrated school. They say the business school is top notch yet I know many people in it that aren't the brightest... Classes here are way too large and not worth the amount of money we pay anually to attend this place. If you seek diversity in college, then this school isn't for you- everyone here is either from a suburb of Indiana or the outskirts of Chicago.This school is meant for those that thoroughly enjoy partying, and occasionally studying. Rushing a sorority here is hell. They say 87% of the girls will get a bid yet nearly 50% were left bidless. I am currently in the process of transferring and cannot wait to get out of this middle of nowhere. Sun, 09 Feb 2014 09:33:33 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about IUB for Journalismhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html I came here because...here is the deal: if someone else is paying for undergraduate education, an in-state school is the way to go. Why? Undergraduate degrees are basically worthless. I am an in-state... Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:07:20 GMT StudentsReview 465-97183 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 465-97183 465 20 Journalism Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Negative I came here because...here is the deal: if someone else is paying for undergraduate education, an in-state school is the way to go. Why? Undergraduate degrees are basically worthless. I am an in-state student, but would never have gone to Purdue because...gross, very conservative and West Lafayette sucks. I did however get into both Rutgers and NYU. Both considerably more expensive than IU, obviously. So I came here, believing this would give me opportunities to learn and grow. However, that has not been my experience. I will say that I do not think it would be any better at any other university - but I can only speak for IU. IU is bureaucratic. As described by one of the few (very few) competent professors I have had here...administration sits up first class toasting with the finest champagne. It's great for them...and they hope us flying in coach are having a good time too, but "too bad, so sad" if we are not. I started as an English and Business major (I lasted a semester). In the English major, I couldn't believe the emphasis on poetry. Poetry. Can you imagine anything more worthless? I wanted to do creative writing, fiction. "Too bad, so sad" my advisor said. The degree is designed to squeeze money out of the bunch of students (guaranteed to show up every year) who have no clue what they want to do with their lives. The professors are pretentious snobs - and they make what 30K a year? Good for them, can you really call that success? No way. Meanwhile Kelley School of Business treats you like a progeny - but the reality is that unless you want to stay in the Midwest - good luck - that's all I can tell you. I never intended to stay in the Midwest - even Chicago would feel like unnecessary settlement. It's NY, LA, or San Fran or death. I mean that. But Kelley grads don't get jobs in those cities. Chicago is bloated with Kelley grads - but I'm not working my ass off to work in Chicago. The degree is ALL pain, NO gain. I switched to Journalism (advertising concentration) with a Theatre/Drama second concentration/minor. There a things I enjoy about it - however what technically sounds good on paper - doesn't function properly within these degrees. We have a few (very few) competent professors in the Journalism degree. Most of the "core courses" are useless, "busy work" bullshit classes. J110, J155, J200 all a BIG waste of my time. Especially J110 - Jeffery Cannon, a professor at this school is a regular professor for J110 and he is HORRIFICALLY bad. Imagine the worst professor possible and multiply it by 20. Yes, I'm not exaggerating. Theatre department is good - but is bloated with pretentious professors and students alike. People who like theatre because it's fun (it is, make no mistake - or at least it should be) are sometimes shown the door. Some professors should just post a sign on their door - serious thespians only. Just because I don't know all the Shakespearean terms, doesn't mean I can't enjoy theatre. Most of the good roles in the productions are reserved for MFA's. They say "no role is precast," but this of course isn't true as the same five-six actors fill the same roles every semester (and summer). I don't begrudge them for that - they deserve them - they paid for it after all. Tue, 19 Nov 2013 12:07:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about IUB for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html I'm a freshman at IU and I absolutely love it! There is nothing bad about this school. Everyone is friendly, the weather is perfect, the campus is beautiful, and the academics will put you ahead in li... Mon, 16 Sep 2013 04:56:17 GMT StudentsReview 465-95973 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 465-95973 465 52 Undecided Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I'm a freshman at IU and I absolutely love it! There is nothing bad about this school. Everyone is friendly, the weather is perfect, the campus is beautiful, and the academics will put you ahead in life. People should know that they're going to have the best time of their life, and that they'll have to walk, but it's good for you! My advice would be choose IU, you won't regret it. It's such an upbeat, lively town and there's always something to do. Mon, 16 Sep 2013 04:56:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IUB_comments.html