StudentsReview - Indiana Wesleyan University - Life at IWUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html Life at IWU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about IWU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html Other than the group projects for the online classes. I have no complaints with the school. I am right on time with what I need to take and graduation and I have even decided to attend IWU to complet... Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:50:34 GMT StudentsReview 472-127729 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 472-127729 472 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Positive Other than the group projects for the online classes. I have no complaints with the school. I am right on time with what I need to take and graduation and I have even decided to attend IWU to complete my Master degree. Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:50:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about IWU for Criminalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html $$ is bottom line here, no consideration to actually teach a course, pay your money they are happy.... Thu, 26 Jun 2014 08:47:41 GMT StudentsReview 472-112143 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 472-112143 472 44 Criminal Female Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Negative $$ is bottom line here, no consideration to actually teach a course, pay your money they are happy. Thu, 26 Jun 2014 08:47:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about IWU for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html I just finished the Associates program for Computer Science. This was done online through the adult LEAP program. I picked this due to my schedule at the time that enrolled in the school. It was ve... Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:35:50 GMT StudentsReview 472-106676 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 472-106676 472 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Neutral I just finished the Associates program for Computer Science. This was done online through the adult LEAP program. I picked this due to my schedule at the time that enrolled in the school. It was very convenient for me to login at home and participate in the course on my time. Since I never knew what time I would leave my job, this was the best fit for me. I would like to point out this is my first time taking any online classes.
At first it seemed very easy, and it was. There were literally a few classes I never even bothered to open the book on. Not that I am a very smart person by any means but it was that easy. Then there are classes that you need more than the 5 weeks that is allowed for classes. I do remember math running 8 weeks long. There was another class that was 4 weeks and I believe the rest were only 5 weeks in duration. You take one class at a time, and then move onto the next course. So this is going to be very accelerated on some courses.
I do believe the education you get out of this school is defined by the effort you put forth. There were a few classes that I believe should have been longer than 5 weeks, or possibly better examples or text books for the course. There are classes that are extremely tough and take up every bit of your time; this is to be expected on some classes. You will have to put forth some long hours and read a lot of the material.
Pay VERY close attention to the syllabus and do your work exactly how it asks. Also an important note is the professor may change something in the syllabus and post it under the faculty forum. I do understand with this being online you may miss out on key lectures and class discussions of which are beneficial to the learning process. There is really no hand on experience with this degree. Programming, web design and troubleshooting would probably be the best bet towards any experience. I personally like programming and wish it would have been longer and a better book for the course.
Now here is why I gave these school bad marks. The professors, there was only one professor I came across who tried to teach you anything, one. They are simply there to grade your paperwork, which is about it. You can ask for help and get a question in return. I had one professor who always told the class to look online for the answers and for help! There was one professor who wanted you to reference EVERYTHING, even your own experience. Ok, think about that. If you take a history class, and someone asks you who won a certain war or a time period in history. If you answer that question, is that plagiarizing the book you read? In this class, if you answered a question that was asking for your opinion on a matter, he wanted you to reference the book? Sorry but that makes no sense at all.
There is a lot of group work with online. I am not sure about in the classroom but online, there is a lot. This would be ok if you are in a good group. If you have a slacker or last minute person, your group will suffer. You must answer to discussion board posts. You typically post two subjects weekly. You must respond to at least two of your fellow classmates on TWO separate days. I know, that is a little stupid that they believe it takes that long to conjure up a thought to respond. I get the whole participation on day?s thing but really? Some professors are VERY strict on this while others clearly think that rule is ridiculous.
You will see some professors who do not grade too harshly, pretty much pass or fail attitude, which is fine. There were even a few professors who were not even reading what I typed and turned in. Some professors seemed to give different grades for the same mistakes.
I noticed that the more chest beating someone did on their background, the bigger of a jerk they were. Then there was a class New Testament Survey with Robert Biberstine (Mr. B). This is forever a class I will remember for the rest of my life. On one of my discussion board posts he wrote the following ?You really need to use the spell check or learn how to spell and use grammer. Just a thought.? Now you may have noticed some errors in this. The first sentence is a run on sentence, ?just a thought? is not a complete sentence (thought of what), and grammar does not have an ?E? in it.
I printed this out and displayed that at my desk for all to see. The shock from people who discovered this was an actual professor who sent this to me was always priceless. I could give more examples of a few professors, but this was my favorite. Not only did he write this but there were a few other choice examples that could have been used.
Bottom line, the school is expensive. This is a Christian school, and it is a little overdone at times. The professors do not help you much at all; you will depend on your classmates. I was fortunate enough that our math professor did help us, hopefully you have her. If you are not self-motivating, online schooling is not for you. If you can get passed the professors and their lack of teaching or helping, you will be fine. Get to know your classmates, ask each other for help. Do not go online and try and cheat. Yes most of the answers are there and your professors or whoever is grading knows that too.
Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:35:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about IWU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html I started the BSM program at a satellite location, but due to other course work at a local college for work I had to switch to the online format. This was bit of a challenge for me as I am more of an... Sat, 19 Apr 2014 02:01:48 GMT StudentsReview 472-106193 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 472-106193 472 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Positive I started the BSM program at a satellite location, but due to other course work at a local college for work I had to switch to the online format. This was bit of a challenge for me as I am more of an audial learner, but manageable. Of all of the professors I had only two were lax in their responses. The final two professors of the program were the best. Especially Dr. William Burton, who facilitated the (minimum) 25 page final managerial paper, as he laid expectations for each week along with examples to assist the students, and who was very prompt in his responses. The accounting class was very challenging for most every student in the program, and I would suggest taking it on-campus if available.
The course load was heavy, and you are self-taught for the most part, but it manageable. I learned this after successfully completing 27 credit hours of work, between two universities in only five months while working full time (five at IWU, and four at the other campus). The key is to stay focused and manage your time wisely, not wasting a minute of your day. As a result of the positive experience I?ve had at IWU, I will be begin the MBA program this spring, and am looking forward to the challenges to come.
In closing I would recommend the IWU-Online program to anyone who is willing to do the work, not wine about the course load, and wish to make a positive difference in their lives.
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 02:01:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about IWU for Accountinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html I am not going to say that 'all was perfect' at this institution, but I received a very good education. At times I did battle an arrogant instructor, an aggressive student, or an unhelpful and unskil... Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:48:44 GMT StudentsReview 472-102597 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 472-102597 472 1 Accounting Female Undergraduate Class 2012 5th Year Positive I am not going to say that 'all was perfect' at this institution, but I received a very good education. At times I did battle an arrogant instructor, an aggressive student, or an unhelpful and unskilled instructor, but in the almost 5 years of attending those instances were minor. I would not recommend their IT courses, because I found that the institution did not obtain qualified instructors, but the Accounting (I switched majors from IT) measured up to my expectations, and I received a good education. Contrary to other outlandish statements, this institution never displayed a 'better than you' attitude towards me or any other student, even though the institution proclaims Christianity. I was never treated differently for any views I divulged in my courses. I would recommend this college to anyone! Tue, 04 Mar 2014 12:48:44 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/IN/IWU_comments.html