StudentsReview - Amherst College - Life at AMChttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html Life at AMC - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about AMC for Mathhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html I have to be frank and tell anyone who thinks Amherst is a "gem of enlightenment" as they like to think of themselves to please reconsider. They, meaning the administration and trustees/alumni in par... Sat, 17 Nov 2012 05:59:49 GMT StudentsReview 556-90470 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 556-90470 556 23 Math Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative I have to be frank and tell anyone who thinks Amherst is a "gem of enlightenment" as they like to think of themselves to please reconsider. They, meaning the administration and trustees/alumni in particular and faculty to a lesser degree, are interested first and foremost in promoting and preserving an image to the outside world of a school that deeply cares about their students and the pursuit of the "life of the mind" as they put it - sort of like keeping up appearances. Recent revelations and the richly deserved bad publicity they have received of late, and which they will do virtually everything to prevent it from going public, only confirms what I suspected. I truly regret coming here and am strongly considering transferring. I could have gone to Bowdoin or Williams and now kick myself for not going to one of those two truly wonderful colleges. Are they perfect? Of course not, but I have a good number of friends at both and believe me, it's vastly better than here at the self-described "Fairest College." The institutional arrogance, elitist environment and culture of sweeping problems under the rug is a bit too much for my blood. Also, do not be persuaded by the pronouncements and superficial actions of the new president, Ms. Martin. It will take years for any real change to occur - the elitist mindset is in the bones of this place and only lots of time and work will make things better. Sat, 17 Nov 2012 05:59:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about AMC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html I just want to quickly clear up a a misconception about AC students. Many people that do not attend the university believe that the school is mostly rich and white. In fact, about half of students are... Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:23:11 GMT StudentsReview 556-80227 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 556-80227 556 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2012 3rd Year Positive I just want to quickly clear up a a misconception about AC students. Many people that do not attend the university believe that the school is mostly rich and white. In fact, about half of students are on financial aid. None of those students graduate with any loans at all. Over half of students are minorities. I am an international student and most schools don't offer financial aid to non-citizens. Amherst does, so I am able to attend the school. It has been my perception that there is a much smaller proportion of low income students at schools without such generous financial aid policies. I recently visited a large event at a state school in CA and only saw a handful of minority students.

On a side note: AC offers many summer grants for research, volunteer work and travel. It is easy to get these summer opportunities. This is nice because all AC students (even us poor ones) can get good experience in a time when it is very difficult to land a paid internship. Otherwise, many students would have to take standard "college jobs" which do not distinguish them. Students graduate at an advantage to begin their job hunts and continued schooling applications.
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:23:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about AMC for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html Amherst College is an institution whose collective intelligence is only exceeded by its legendary arrogance. Think of a country club atmosphere. I've endured four dreaded years and am now free at las... Mon, 06 Jun 2011 02:12:12 GMT StudentsReview 556-77855 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 556-77855 556 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2011 4th Year Advice Amherst College is an institution whose collective intelligence is only exceeded by its legendary arrogance. Think of a country club atmosphere. I've endured four dreaded years and am now free at last. I would never go here again nor could I encourage anyone to either. Hindsight is 20/20. Mon, 06 Jun 2011 02:12:12 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about AMC for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html IF you take advantage of the opportunities at AC, this is a truly challenging school. Students tend to take on a ton of extracurriculars, and most challenge themselves academically (there is a range o... Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:26:52 GMT StudentsReview 556-76655 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 556-76655 556 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Positive IF you take advantage of the opportunities at AC, this is a truly challenging school. Students tend to take on a ton of extracurriculars, and most challenge themselves academically (there is a range of course difficulty as at any college). At times I was overwhelmed, but it made me a better person to be surrounded by incredible students and supportive professors. The faculty and administration went WAY above the call of duty for me; I've been out to drinks with profs, over to their houses for dinner, they've called friends to hook me up with opportunities, etc. I felt so close to some them after my years at school that I invited three to my graduation dinner (otherwise, it was just immediate family and my boyfriend). The connections I made are also already proving valuable. Amherst is really an "ask and you shall receive" institution.

For the most part, the facilities and dorms are phenomenal. My parents joke that I went to school at a country club. The science building itself could use a little work (they are replacing it within the next couple years) but I can't say enough good things about the professors and opportunities (to do research, etc.) in the science departments.

There are a lot of opportunities to drink. I had a wonderful time socially, but it can be difficult to balance times to de-stress with the tidal waves of school work. Overall, I liked my classmates, and was often surprised by their range of interests and talents. It certainly helps to be outgoing here, because many students are kind of shy (which could be mistaken as cold, but these students are usually VERY appreciative of invitations and genuine friendliness). I would also recommend making the extra effort to befriend 5-college students in your classes and at parties.

Not the biggest fan of the weather. The dining hall food is also relatively mediocre but improving dramatically each year (also, there is a co-op on campus that cooks its own food, and you can live there if you really aren't satisfied...)

I just wanted to note that the negative comments seem to be from non-Amherst students who may have had ONE bad experience for whatever reason. I'm really happy I went to AC and proud of myself for taking a challenging route and coming out on top.
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:26:52 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about AMC for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html Don't trust what you're reading on Student's Review! Anyone can write in their comments here. Nothing filters out the actual college students from random haters. I'd use College Prowler instead; it's ... Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:49:14 GMT StudentsReview 556-71868 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 556-71868 556 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Neutral Don't trust what you're reading on Student's Review! Anyone can write in their comments here. Nothing filters out the actual college students from random haters. I'd use College Prowler instead; it's much more real and credible. Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:49:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/AMC_comments.html