StudentsReview - Emerson College - Life at Emerson Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html Life at Emerson - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about Emerson for Video/Mediahttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html I was honestly so scared to come to Emerson. I read all the negative stuff on here and I was scared that I would not make any friends and that I would be depressed, but I am thoroughly surprised. I ha... Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:00:24 GMT StudentsReview 573-179322 573-179322 573 46 Video/Media Female Undergraduate Class 1920 1st Year Positive I was honestly so scared to come to Emerson. I read all the negative stuff on here and I was scared that I would not make any friends and that I would be depressed, but I am thoroughly surprised. I have found my experience pretty positive here. I made a tight group of friends, from all over the country and even international. I find the classes useful. I am excited to learn and I am creating some pretty good stuff for my portfolio. And I think the location is pretty cool. Even though we do not have a campus, we are smack dab in the center of Boston, so you have the freedom to go all over--Newburry Street, MIT, Northeastern, Beacon Hill, etc. I don't know, college is whatever you make of it really. Don't be afraid to try new things and to meet new kinds of people! Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:00:24 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Emerson for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html Emerson college is a joke... Wed, 13 Jul 2016 07:12:31 GMT StudentsReview 573-174397 573-174397 573 53 Other Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Neutral Emerson college is a joke Wed, 13 Jul 2016 07:12:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Emerson for Art & Design Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html A party school! No jobs unless you want to work at McDonald's when you get out. No support on finding employment when you graduate. Go to NYU instead. Everyone knows this school's rep!... Sun, 20 Sep 2015 05:59:37 GMT StudentsReview 573-171003 573-171003 573 60 Art & Design Department Female Undergraduate Class 2019 3rd Year Negative A party school!
No jobs unless you want to work at McDonald's when you get out.
No support on finding employment when you graduate.
Go to NYU instead. Everyone knows this school's rep!
Sun, 20 Sep 2015 05:59:37 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Emerson for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html Those high in the ladder at Emerson know how to market the school well. The problem is, it's often garbage what they say. Unfortunately, you don't usually realize this until you're attending the colle... Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:17:34 GMT StudentsReview 573-157783 573-157783 573 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Negative Those high in the ladder at Emerson know how to market the school well. The problem is, it's often garbage what they say. Unfortunately, you don't usually realize this until you're attending the college. I'm nearly done with my sophomore year as a film major and have very few good things to say about this school. I'll start with the one positive thing just to get it out of the way -- you meet a lot of really great, really creative and friendly people that are fantastic to work with. Most people are very passionate and nice (not everyone, but you'll find the people you're looking for).

The classes, at least for film, are garbage. You can learn everything they try to teach you about film/digital video in a day of sitting on the internet and screwing around with a camera. I guarantee it. That's it...nothing about the industry, nothing about being on set...they do NOTHING. POOF! Bye $50,000! Now, apparently it gets better Junior and Senior year here with more intense classes. However, the first two years are a waste.

The rest of your time is filled checking off the list of general education requirements. And, oh boy, is it a blast! Science and politics of water! Of WATER??!! Oh yeah...it's glorious.

Going to film school has prevented me from working on movies because of the time you have to put in to general education requirements that are LITERALLY A WASTE OF YOUR LIFE. They do nothing for you, and it's given me a terrible, jaded attitude towards academic life in general as a result. I'm retaking Physics at the moment...why? To check off a box. Granted, physics is interesting, but it's repeating high school and wasting my time as a result.

Regarding the equipment that the school has.....it's lacking. Your intro film production courses will make you shoot on ~70 year old film cameras. Sure, an appreciation for actual film is nice, but this school is not caught up in the digital realm and continues to drop money making their students learn technology that is old and no longer used in the industry. Yay.

The school drops money on the Bolex and other out dated cameras. I wouldn't have a problem with this if they also had new equipment. They have Canon dslrs (60D, 7D I believe), C100s, Sony F3, an F5 I believe, and that's it. They have a couple steadicam Zephyrs, along with some decent lighting equipment. However, that's nearly the extent of it (oh and one dolly that you can't get). My personal opinion is that the students should band together to have a Bolex (old film camera) bonfire and force the college to buy RED cameras and a few Arri Alexa's.

I should mention regarding academics...the film classes are useless and so are gen eds...but Emerson does offer workshops (sparingly) for various post-production applications....they're still lacking and they're still not part of the normal curriculum.

Point is, I hate this school and the fact that it puts so many kids in debt for a subpar, useless education (film production wise).

I have a few very good friends and a lot of good people I know, so that's a plus. People are on the same page in terms of passion and creativity and need to work. Boston is also a great city (although you freeze to death half the school year, so you never feel like going anywhere).

I know it's a scrambled review, but I hope you receive some insight.
Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:17:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Emerson for Video/Mediahttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html Emerson College was my dream school. For years I had wanted to be a movie director, and living in Massachusetts, Emerson seemed perfect. I hated it. Living in the city is awful. Everything is dirty in... Sun, 14 Sep 2014 01:02:31 GMT StudentsReview 573-129990 573-129990 573 46 Video/Media Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative Emerson College was my dream school. For years I had wanted to be a movie director, and living in Massachusetts, Emerson seemed perfect. I hated it. Living in the city is awful. Everything is dirty in the city, I was always on edge in terms of safety. My dorm was right on the front of the building, with a view of the Common, which was highly desirable, but incredibly loud day and night. I am not at all a partier, and Emerson isn't known as a party school, but it totally IS. My floor was the party floor, everyone was drunk except for, thankfully, my suitemates. All my suitemates, however, were acting majors, and I am a total introvert, very shy. Everyone I met was loud, extroverted. It was hard for me to fit in. So if you think you are going to meet quiet creative types, they are rare here. After living in the dorms (which all very nice, all newly renovated or built) for a month, I decided to commute instead, which turned out to be the lesser of two evils. Commuting was the worst. Better than living there for me, but terrible. One of my classrooms was above a club, so there would sometimes be pounding dance music during night classes. The dining hall was small and has very limited and average quality food. I had a mental breakdown, am taking semesters off, and never want to go back. For some people I am sure this is the perfect school. I just want to help people so they don't experience what I did. Think about it a lot. If I had had the opportunity to spend the night here before applying, which some schools but not Emerson offer, I would not have gone here. Sun, 14 Sep 2014 01:02:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/EMEC_comments.html