StudentsReview - Mount Holyoke College - Life at MHChttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Life at MHC - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about MHC for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Coming from abroad, I expected an open-minded place. instead it was an intolerant bubble where everyone is expected to be super-liberal and not challenge perceived wisdom. For instance, in one class, ... Sun, 23 Mar 2014 07:30:02 GMT StudentsReview 587-104388 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 587-104388 587 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative Coming from abroad, I expected an open-minded place. instead it was an intolerant bubble where everyone is expected to be super-liberal and not challenge perceived wisdom. For instance, in one class, the prof kept confusing ethnicity with race and put down students who tried to distinguish between the two, because, for instance, that would upset the issue of what is a Latino and can Latinos be 'white.' Somehow, fun a sin, so anyone who tries to enjoy themselves on campus is considered a 'party girl.' Lots of cliques, though of course unspoken...as there's a myth of female solidarity. Sun, 23 Mar 2014 07:30:02 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about MHC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Coming to Mount Holyoke is one of the worst regrets of my life. It's LITERALLY in the middle of nowhere! There is nothing exciting happening here!!! Fellow students are so much dumber than my high sch... Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:26:34 GMT StudentsReview 587-101131 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 587-101131 587 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative Coming to Mount Holyoke is one of the worst regrets of my life. It's LITERALLY in the middle of nowhere! There is nothing exciting happening here!!! Fellow students are so much dumber than my high school fellow classmates. You have no choice but to study constantly because that's really all there is to do, and that makes people unnecessarily competitive. The only valuable thing that's come out of this experience for me are really great close circle of friends. Otherwise, I would be evil to let anyone ever go through what I'm experiencing here. I hate my every waking and sleeping moment here. Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:26:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about MHC for PreLaw and Legalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Mount Holyoke is an extremely good school for a specific type of student. I have often reflected to people asking about my decision to come here "There is a certain demographic of women that thrive at... Sat, 07 Dec 2013 02:28:21 GMT StudentsReview 587-98058 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 587-98058 587 35 PreLaw and Legal Female Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Advice Mount Holyoke is an extremely good school for a specific type of student. I have often reflected to people asking about my decision to come here "There is a certain demographic of women that thrive at a women's college in the middle of nowhere." I myself am on the periphery of this demographic. I came to Mount Holyoke thinking it would be easier to have an enthusiastic lesbian scene with a lot of sex, and while there can be, sometimes, I ended up being in a long distance relationship for three years, so with my original intention of being here gone, I have had a lot of time to evaluate the other merits or dysfunctions of the school.

What I will most strongly advocate for is that the academics, especially in certain departments such as International Relations, History, Psychology, Philosophy, and the hard Sciences are absolutely stellar and enjoyable. However, something which is not emphasized enough when high school seniors are selecting their college of choice, is whether or not the liberal arts major they are interested in will be a particular strength of an otherwise likable school. I do not think that anybody who wants to study anthropology, sociology, or art history at the eventual graduate level will find that they are receiving the preparation they need. This is based off of my experiences hearing majors in these fields air their complains, as well as my observations about what the departments expect their majors to do afterwards. That is not to say that the classes are not well taught. However, as the school is very small, Anthro and Sociology are not able to offer the same swath of classes which would be taught somewhere else. This is especially pertinent in the Anthro department, which focuses mainly on social and not physical. Meanwhile, Art History offers no survey class, and I have been acquainted with majors who are unaware that language study will be necessary for graduate school. If you are interested in double majoring, then this is less of an issue, but I would implore future students of any college to research at least a few of the majors they would be interested in, to confirm the opportunities which will be available to them afterwards. (For the records, I am a Middle Eastern Studies major planning on going to law school. There is not nearly as much support for pre-law as their is for pre-med, but then again, I personally believe that if you cannot access all of the colloquial advice necessary for law school admission on the internet, then you shouldn't be going to law school anyways. As for Middle Eastern studies, as it is an interdisciplinary major, the resources are there, but I need to be proactive. If you plan on being an interdisciplinary major at any school, you had better be proactive to begin with.)

I have noticed that in terms of who transfers away from Mount Holyoke are from New York City or the surrounding suburbs. The financial aid office is not usually very nice to New Yorkers. You may be different, it really depends, but no education is worth graduating with $100,000 in debt, unless perhaps you are studying engineering. Some people come here because they think it will be a small, very supportive and affirming environment. It generally is. However, the students as a culture are all very self competitive. The campus is beautiful, but in the dead of winter, the sun goes down by 4:30 PM and it's very cold. If you're the type of person who gets sad, stays up all night on social media, wakes up at noon or later, and doesn't go outside much, then Mount Holyoke can be really depressing.

The food is pretty great for college food. However, if you have a dietary need that requires the use of a kitchen/preparing your own meals, you can get the use of a kitchen but it's generally only for students with these needs, and it can be very lonely eating by yourself.

Religious and spiritual life is very open and a mix of christians, muslims, jews, buddhists, etc.... From my own observations each of these groups has constituencies of people both deeply dedicated towards leadership, as well as more passive students who come to events. While somebody with stringently socially conservative politics may find it difficult to fit in here, simultaneously the campus places a large value on spirituality as a part of human life. Interfaith events are a weekly occurrence, and often people of different faith groups will attend the services of each other.

There are a ton of student leadership opportunities, though political clubs are not nearly as popular as music clubs, specialty clubs, or club sports. While students here generally carry passionate political opinions, the "free to be you and me" nature of the campus generally detracts from very much political activism, though Students Against Mass Incarceration and Mount Holyoke Divest from Fossil Fuels are two currently very active student groups.

Studying abroad is encouraged, and many students, especially students in the humanities and social sciences, will do so. In addition, every student is not guaranteed one summer of grant money to pursue an unpaid or underpaid opportunity.

Overall, I have seen many students graduate and go on to the business world, medical school, the peace corps, education, and/or working or living abroad. The school was founded in 1837 as an educational seminary to train women to go teach and proselytize abroad. Today it is not religiously affiliated, and the majority of students can tell you all about post colonial theory. However, the heavy value the school has placed on internationalism remains from this time.

Mount Holyoke can be a great place to be, especially if you're driven and passionate. You don't need to be passionate about every subject and extra curricular activity, but you need to be passionate about something. When the workload of finals week is hitting, and you're on the internet at 2:40 in the morning writing a review of the college in order to procrastinate, you need to know that when you return to your work, you will find it exciting, and not simply "a means to an end." But that being said, liberal arts was never supposed to be a means to an end anyways, though you can become a greatly successful wall street analyst if you take the appropriate econ classes and write a good cover letter. However, if you want to passively do well in a school while placing greater importance on family, social, or work life, you are not going to like it here.
Sat, 07 Dec 2013 02:28:21 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about MHC for Mathhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Mount Holyoke is not the typical college and in a majority of ways its surpasses any expectations I had about university. The campus is a beautiful place to be at and it's a great place to make close ... Fri, 04 Oct 2013 07:12:27 GMT StudentsReview 587-96302 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 587-96302 587 23 Math Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive Mount Holyoke is not the typical college and in a majority of ways its surpasses any expectations I had about university. The campus is a beautiful place to be at and it's a great place to make close friends. It might get lonely at times for some but thats only if youre into partying. Fri, 04 Oct 2013 07:12:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about MHC for Chemistryhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html In the summer of 2012, I was browsing this website and all the negative reviews made me question whether or not Mount Holyoke was the right choice for me. After being here for a year, I cannot stress ... Wed, 11 Sep 2013 05:47:28 GMT StudentsReview 587-95860 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 587-95860 587 9 Chemistry Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Positive In the summer of 2012, I was browsing this website and all the negative reviews made me question whether or not Mount Holyoke was the right choice for me. After being here for a year, I cannot stress that this environment is perfect not only for me, but for a lot of girls as well . Mount Holyoke has all types of people and yes, it may not be the right fit for the girl who wants to get wasted every weekend, but for girls who want to succeed and be in an environment that is safe, beautiful and welcoming it is perfect. I think the no boys thing scared me at first, but a week into my first classes last fall, I realized that you still see many males from other schools on campus. The PVTA also runs really frequently and going other places is not a huge hassle. And most importantly there is this huge bond with Mount Holyoke women that lasts far beyond graduation. Wed, 11 Sep 2013 05:47:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html