StudentsReview - Mount Holyoke College - Life at MHC Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Life at MHC - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about MHC for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Professors provide energy and insights to make classes like Econ actually interesting and apply them to the real world. School has resources that schools of larger sizes can't afford because of MHC's... Sun, 03 Jan 2016 02:28:19 GMT StudentsReview 587-172258 587-172258 587 57 Economics Female Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Positive Professors provide energy and insights to make classes like Econ actually interesting and apply them to the real world. School has resources that schools of larger sizes can't afford because of MHC's Amazing Alumni Support. Social life and classes at Amherst or UMass are a Free 15-20min ride away. And the bus seems to run every 10 mins. Sun, 03 Jan 2016 02:28:19 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about MHC for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html It's clear that in it's prime, Mount Holyoke was THE school to go to if you were a woman looking to define her own life. Sometime between 1837 and now, however, this institution has definitely strayed... Sat, 12 Dec 2015 09:43:52 GMT StudentsReview 587-172043 587-172043 587 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative It's clear that in it's prime, Mount Holyoke was THE school to go to if you were a woman looking to define her own life. Sometime between 1837 and now, however, this institution has definitely strayed from it's goal of creating successful, outspoken women.

As an out lesbian, I had intended to go to a women's college, and with it's stunning campus, I decided on Mount Holyoke. At Convocation, it was announced that the school would begin accepting applications from anyone who identified as a woman or with a non-binary gender. This didn't mean much to me in the moment, but as the weeks passed, I realized that hypothetically in the future, I could have to share a room with a "woman with a penis." This frightened me, but my concerns we dismissed as "transphobic."

At Mount Holyoke, queer theory is taken as law. In one semester, I learned that talking about menstruation in a "woman-exclusive" context was transphobic, because trans-women do not have their periods. I also saw the cancellation of alum Eve Ensler's play, "The Vagina Monologues" as it excluded women without vaginas. I learned that being dominated and chained up by a man in the bedroom is empowerment, and was told to "check my vanilla privilege." I was instructed to begin every conversation with, "What are your preferred gender pronouns?" I was effectively silenced from saying anything that differed from the campus opinion. I was called a "vagina fetishist" because I said I wouldn't sleep with a "woman with a penis."

Mount Holyoke was supposed to be my safe space. A place where I could speak and debate openly with other women, not spend hour after hour in my room, out of fear that someone would call me out on my "problematic views." They claim to encourage women to think for themselves, but this is a blatant lie. Mount Holyoke is not a safe space for any woman who does not fully subscribe to this cult-like, queer, post-modern transgender ideology.

Women have been granted so little in nearly every society worldwide, and it really breaks my heart to see wonderful places like Mount Holyoke being taken from us. I hope someday the people of my generation will focus less on themselves, on which LGBTQQIA******* label they will wear on a given day, and focus more on
fixing the problems already in the world. It is so narcissistic of them to create new ones.
Sat, 12 Dec 2015 09:43:52 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about MHC for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Administration was not helpful at all!!!! Coursework was not rigorous, my high school advanced courses were harder. Unless you're LGBTQIA+ (yes, this place has its own extended version of lgbt letteri... Wed, 05 Aug 2015 11:07:01 GMT StudentsReview 587-168641 587-168641 587 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Negative Administration was not helpful at all!!!! Coursework was not rigorous, my high school advanced courses were harder. Unless you're LGBTQIA+ (yes, this place has its own extended version of lgbt lettering) you won't fit in. S. Hadley is isolated, and most everyone had a superiority complex. most students here were ivy league rejects and so thrived on snubbing the students of other high ranked colleges to elevate themselves. class discussions were bland, but students were regularly praised for their less than inspiring comments. only good thing that kept me from leaving was my supportive history advisor. make sure you visit this place overnight or something before committing. Wed, 05 Aug 2015 11:07:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about MHC for Religion/Religioushttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html In the mid 1990s, I transferred to Mount Holyoke College from Bates College because I was concerned about loosing my financial aid package at Bates, and Mount Holyoke had a reputation for offering str... Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:54:22 GMT StudentsReview 587-159940 587-159940 587 39 Religion/Religious Female Undergraduate Class 1997 3rd Year Negative In the mid 1990s, I transferred to Mount Holyoke College from Bates College because I was concerned about loosing my financial aid package at Bates, and Mount Holyoke had a reputation for offering strong financial assistance to students. In hindsight, my decision to transfer to MHC was without a doubt one of the worst educational decision I've ever made. Although my experience is from several decades ago, I unfortunately believe my experience of MHC is still valid. Below is an overview:

Pros: the campus is utterly stunning - perhaps the most beautiful campus I've seen. Regarding safety, it's an extremely safe environment. There's also the 5 College opportunity, which allows you to take classes free of charge at Smith, U Mass, Amherst, and Hampshire.

Cons: just about everything else. Most essentially, the school has no true vision for why it's a women's college; the claim that it empowers women is a fraud, as the reality is that strong-natured women, or individualistic women who are creative, curious, and think outside the box, are viewed as a genuine threat to the rest of the community. Thus, MHC is best suited and marketed for young women who have had little experience outside of suburban communities (most likely gated at that), and who are emotionally younger than their physical age. The school encourages these young women to follow rules, keep quiet, and make decent grades. Because of this, not much in the MHC environment challenges students to grow intellectually or emotionally. When I was a student at MHC, weekends were a virtual wasteland: no concerts, lectures, or events of any significance. The majority of students would spend their free time taking videos out of the library and watching them; I doubt much has changed other than the fact they're now watching on computers.

I could go on about the lack of academic integrity and the condescending way the administration treats its students, but other comments have addressed this. In short, this is a fraud of an academic institution and should be avoided.
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:54:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about MHC for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html Minimal space for creativity, or for interdisciplinary studies. Neither is this a place for intellectual stimulation or curiosity, amongst very grade-oriented students who only care about getting a jo... Thu, 02 Apr 2015 07:07:22 GMT StudentsReview 587-159087 587-159087 587 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2012 2nd Year Negative Minimal space for creativity, or for interdisciplinary studies. Neither is this a place for intellectual stimulation or curiosity, amongst very grade-oriented students who only care about getting a job, & who pretend they're confident, smart, & got their lives all sorted, while often broken inside in many ways. Professors don't guide you to your interests here, especially if your interests are interdisciplinary; ambiguity makes most of them uncomfortable.

Creativity, or their movement for change ? Limited. An alum asked President Pasquerella about creative outlets for students, & other alums present sensed that she clearly did not understand that question, & only talked about the museum ... Myopic visions.

Plenty of false advertising, which I fell for ..
. Diversity: MHC gives much financial aid to students from Pakistan, China, Nepal & other countries, to market their diverse culture. While diverse in countries, the students they choose are very similar, & culture aside, all one of a kind. Grade oriented, often afraid to ask what they truly want in life (one girl even said, no one's ever asked me that before), & fake friendliness.
. Special major: discouraged if it's not career-oriented. In more than 2 years, the Special major dean never saw a student design a major that's geared towards intellectual pursuits.

Professors often unnecessarily stoke students' sense of intelligence, in discussions that are clearly bland, & with facts students state with a false sense of superiority that's already widely known in other schools. Classes seldom encourage you to do independent papers & seek out your specific interests, they are designed in the old-fashioned way of 'lecture, try to discuss, regurgitate, write essays, exams'. I did extensive research for all my classes, & professors, & asked seniors for their favorites, to little avail.

Accommodation & food: if you're the independent sort, or with dietary issues .. avoid coming here. all $13,000 from the financial aid package is taken away if you choose to cook, or live off campus. No negotiation. I tried many times, to be greeted with a cold-hearted & icy 'No' by their head of financial services. I did email the president, since I literally got food comas & a painful belly from the lousy unhealthy food, which affected my work, & that was ignored. Other colleges simply shave $2000 off your financial aid package.

Prettiness of campus wears off .. it's like a Ralph Lauren ad that confines nature to its own notion of beauty. The one merit of this school: part of the Five Colleges consortium.
Thu, 02 Apr 2015 07:07:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/MHC_comments.html