StudentsReview - The University of Massachusetts Amherst - Life at UMASS-Amhehttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html Life at UMASS-Amhe - Comments en StudentsReview: Advice Review about UMASS-Amhe for Undecidedhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html i love it here!! when i finally committed here one of the things i wanted to know more about were the Z rooms so I'm here to inform you! there are pros and cons to both sides of the z room. the back/... Mon, 29 Sep 2014 05:32:57 GMT StudentsReview 604-138239 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 604-138239 604 52 Undecided Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice i love it here!! when i finally committed here one of the things i wanted to know more about were the Z rooms so I'm here to inform you! there are pros and cons to both sides of the z room.
the back/window side: bigger, has a window (hopefully with a good view), but because theres window it gets colder on this side in the winter and the window lets in a lot of light if you're the kind of person that likes it pitch black. also because its bigger you're expected to have most of the appliances on your side. I'm on the window side so i have the fridge, microwave, and the tv my roommate insisted on bringing all on my side, so the areas of the two rooms ends up being almost the same

door side: definitely smaller, first one to be seen when walking in, gets darker and warmer, although the vent that distributes heat is on window side. no view, more sympathy
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 05:32:57 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UMASS-Amhe for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html "turn on, tune in, drop out" Also take one of Professor Kathryn Lord's classes SHE HAS A GREAT ASS!... Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:47:48 GMT StudentsReview 604-106002 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 604-106002 604 54 Communications Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive "turn on, tune in, drop out" Also take one of Professor Kathryn Lord's classes SHE HAS A GREAT ASS! Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:47:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMASS-Amhe for Agriculture/Horticulturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html I'll preface this comment by saying I'm biased because I've had a really bad experience here. I think UMass is an adequate school with some good programs and some good people. However, it can really w... Sat, 29 Mar 2014 12:21:23 GMT StudentsReview 604-104742 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 604-104742 604 72 Agriculture/Horticulture Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral I'll preface this comment by saying I'm biased because I've had a really bad experience here. I think UMass is an adequate school with some good programs and some good people. However, it can really work for some types of people and really NOT work for other types of people.

SOCIAL LIFE-- If you're an introverted, soft-spoken, sensitive kind of person, do NOT go here. I had certain expectations on how people would act here coming in, and they were really unrealistic. It's been really hard for me to make friends here because I'm not involved with anything and don't really like the people in my dorm. I'm also not the kind of person that meets people through classes usually. If you want to make friends here, you have to be really proactive about it and not be a person like me. Also, the vibe I get from people here has been really off-putting. Though I have met interesting people, the overall atmosphere of the campus has kinda trumped that. I've found people to be stand-offish, aggressive, and unwillingly to have a real, stimulating conversation.
In saying all of this, I think if you are an energetic, out-going person who is not that influenced by their environment, you will be fine here. There are definitely jocks and typical college girls, but also a lot of cool people.
Dorms are adequate, blah blah blah. I live in a pretty nice, quiet one on the nerdy part of campus. I've heard dorms in South West routinely have vomit somewhere on the floor and are pretty noisy on weeknights, but I haven't experienced it for myself. Food is probably above average quality, but you get sick of eating in dining halls no matter what.

ACADEMICS-- The classes and academics have been pretty decent. I haven't taken any business or liberal arts classes besides writing, but I've found the course work to be pretty challenging. Regarding the faculty, all of my teachers have been pretty good. However, I had an advisor who didn't answer one of my emails about setting up a meeting and I had to hunt him down at his office. Like pretty much all big universities, UMass doesn't care about individual students. But that doesn't mean you can't create relationships with your professors. One bad thing about UMass is that it doesn't seem to have a strong network of employers looking for graduates. Career fairs only seem to have big companies like CNN or Verizon. There's a lot of 'do it yourself' here. This can be growth-inducing, but also an unnecessary challenge, especially when you're paying 25k a year.

The town of Amherst and Northampton especially are pretty nice places with a lot of things going on. There's also the 5-college consortium, which allows you to take classes at top-notch small liberal arts colleges. I grew up in this area and have always really appreciated it. Downsides are that it's a little pretentious and a little exclusive if you are not white or asian.

I would recommend going here if you don't really care where you're going to college/money constraints, OR if you're majoring in Hospitality, Engineering, Nursing, or Business. Also there is an awesome marching band.
Sat, 29 Mar 2014 12:21:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about UMASS-Amhe for Perfomance Artshttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html I am out of UMASS for a long time now. As expected I did a lot of partying at UMass and kinda got addicted to weed and actually became a small-time dealer while there which progressed to some more har... Mon, 17 Mar 2014 06:02:49 GMT StudentsReview 604-103815 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 604-103815 604 43 Perfomance Arts Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Positive I am out of UMASS for a long time now. As expected I did a lot of partying at UMass and kinda got addicted to weed and actually became a small-time dealer while there which progressed to some more hard core stuff and unfortunately got arrested several years later and am currently incarcerated at MCI-Cedar Junction where I have gone on to complete my degree on-line. My days at UMass were some of my best memories and I always vote for UMass as "Most Respected" each day during recreation. Mon, 17 Mar 2014 06:02:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMASS-Amhe for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html I am out of UMASS for a long time now. Smoked a lot of weed in college and really got into the party scene at ZooMass to the degree that I got into dealing and eventually landed a long prison sentenc... Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:49:35 GMT StudentsReview 604-103798 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 604-103798 604 32 Philosophy Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative I am out of UMASS for a long time now. Smoked a lot of weed in college and really got into the party scene at ZooMass to the degree that I got into dealing and eventually landed a long prison sentence which is where I am typing this from. I really loved my UMass experience and have voted it the #1 best college every day twice a day for the past ten years during recreation. Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:49:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html