StudentsReview - The University of Massachusetts - Amherst - Life at UMass-Amherst Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html Life at UMass-Amherst - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMass-Amherst for Economicshttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html Welcome to UMass Amherst, where bureaucracy is king. Just like in the real world, you exist as a number in a system. Nobody will care about you, nobody will look out for you, and nobody will help you ... Thu, 03 Nov 2016 01:08:51 GMT StudentsReview 604-176554 604-176554 604 57 Economics Male Undergraduate Class 2017 3rd Year Negative Welcome to UMass Amherst, where bureaucracy is king. Just like in the real world, you exist as a number in a system. Nobody will care about you, nobody will look out for you, and nobody will help you unless you absolutely hound them. Getting any kind of staff/faculty assistance is an absolute chore. I was required to meet with an advisor every semester prior to registering for my classes, but appointments fill up weeks before registration opens. Upon getting a meeting (if you are so lucky), you're likely to get a completely unhelpful summation of what you need to take. Do not expect helpful answers to any actual questions like "will X fulfill Y requirement". The answer you receive will be along the lines of "talk to X person" who will, in all likelihood, tell you to talk to another Y person. Professors, advisors, and other staff members are some of the least communicative I've ever encountered. If you do receive a response, it will likely not be for several days (even for time-sensitive issues), and it often took me two or three emails (sometimes to people over the head of the person I was trying to contact) to get a response. You literally have to raise hell to get any help.

Add to this the rigidity that comes with a bureaucracy-driven college, and you have a recipe for madness. Do you want a double major? I'll answer that for you - no, you don't. Your secondary major will treat you like a second class citizen, and will outright refuse you entry into classes that you need to graduate, with the excuse that "preference is given to primary majors" or "this is class is for primary majors ONLY". I'm a senior. I was still not given priority for several upper level classes that I needed to complete my secondary major (which I had already invested 3 years in).

Res-Life is a complete joke, and I say this as a former-RA. Their so caught up with their political-correctness nonsense (we actually got a handout with an entire page of non-standard pronouns. AN. ENTIRE. PAGE. Ridiculous stuff like xhe and xi that reads like satire rather than an actual attempt to be inclusive) that they don't actually give a damn about student happiness or well-being (unless you're a flight/suicide risk, of course).

It just seems like every single thing at this university is horribly mismanaged, to the point of it being a common joke among the students. Administration acts like they want to cut down on drinking culture, going so far as to ban 'pong' of any form (whether or not alcohol is involved, and yes, you can get written up for it), yet they completely section off the entire parking lot for tailgating before football games (forcing those who pay for parking to park elsewhere), which becomes an unsupervised underage drinking fest. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but completely hypocritical and absurd.
Thu, 03 Nov 2016 01:08:51 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about UMass-Amherst for Chemical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html Umass Amherst can be an amazing place to spend 4 years of your life learning and growing. The simple trick is getting involved. There are endless opportunities but they require you to initiate first. ... Mon, 25 Apr 2016 03:18:17 GMT StudentsReview 604-173371 604-173371 604 8 Chemical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Advice Umass Amherst can be an amazing place to spend 4 years of your life learning and growing. The simple trick is getting involved. There are endless opportunities but they require you to initiate first. If you want to grow academically and pursue amazing opportunities you will thrive and grow. If college is a lifestyle and "the best years of your life" There is an constant party and nightlife scene to be enjoyed. Totally up to you how you spend your time. No restrictions. Mon, 25 Apr 2016 03:18:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMass-Amherst for Architecture & Urban Planning Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html This school is so stank, they make garbage smell good.... Mon, 07 Dec 2015 08:32:11 GMT StudentsReview 604-171951 604-171951 604 59 Architecture & Urban Planning Department Male Undergraduate Class 2017 5th Year Neutral This school is so stank, they make garbage smell good. Mon, 07 Dec 2015 08:32:11 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMass-Amherst for Geography and Geoscienceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html Having just transferred here this semester, I'm wondering if this was the right decision for me. I had heard great things about umass regarding both the academic and social life of the university. How... Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:26:26 GMT StudentsReview 604-171817 604-171817 604 56 Geography and Geosciences Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral Having just transferred here this semester, I'm wondering if this was the right decision for me. I had heard great things about umass regarding both the academic and social life of the university. However, while I have found the academics so far to be positive, I can't say the same for the social life. I strongly encourage those who fall into the more 'introverted' category to really consider their options carefully.
Being a soft spoken introvert myself, I've found it quite tricky to form close relationships so far and this only gets more difficult the further you get into the semester.
Despite the large size of the school, it tends to be on the cliquey side which is often the case for state schools. I really do think where you live plays a major factor in how your personality fits into the social scene of your location. However, I'm sure introverts can thrive here as well as long as they put themselves out there a bit more.
On the other hand though, I do love the area and academic aspects of this school and will try my best to make it work.
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:26:26 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMass-Amherst for Geography and Geoscienceshttp://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html When I was applying to schools and visited UMass I knew at that moment that it would not be a good match for me. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to my intuition and decided to come anyways due to the p... Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:16:47 GMT StudentsReview 604-171708 604-171708 604 56 Geography and Geosciences Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral When I was applying to schools and visited UMass I knew at that moment that it would not be a good match for me. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to my intuition and decided to come anyways due to the price tag and research opportunities.
The academics in my department are fantastic and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the UMass Geosciences department. They are overall wonderful, helpful, and passionate people.
Unfortunately, that can't make up for the overall vibe of the school. If you went to a normal public high school and enjoyed it, then you'll like UMass. The social life and generally the people that go here are clearly just following the path that was set out for them. The majority of the students don't especially care about their education and are simply here because its the next obvious step in their lives.
I went to a small, weird high school where I thrived, and I should have known better not to go to a massive school. So that's mostly my fault.
Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:16:47 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MA/UMA_comments.html