StudentsReview - The University of Maryland - College Park - Life at UMD/UMaryland-College Park Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html Life at UMD/UMaryland-College Park - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMD/UMaryland-College Park for Computer Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html Overall, UMD is a large, above average (academically) public research university. That being said, it's easy to get swallowed up in the sea of students. In order to make friends, you have to join some... Fri, 17 Jun 2016 03:14:09 GMT StudentsReview 639-173979 639-173979 639 11 Computer Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Neutral Overall, UMD is a large, above average (academically) public research university. That being said, it's easy to get swallowed up in the sea of students. In order to make friends, you have to join some kind of group because everyone is pretty cliquey. It's not too hard to though unless you're really anti-social because there are tons of clubs and greek life is prevalent. I didn't go in expecting much in terms of social life because I'm majoring in computer engineering and a lot of the students are the typical introverted geeks you'd expect them to be. The athletic programs are great here though and it's fun to go to all of the games, football, basketball, lacrosse, etc. With computer engineering, you'll get a TA that doesn't speak English well about 1/4th of the time but the professors all know what they are talking about and for the most part teach well (there's always a few bad ones no matter where you go). The TA's and professors try their best to help out the students, especially if you personally ask. I don't regret coming here because it's cheap for me (in-state, presidential scholarship) and I'm learning a lot academically. The social life was never a huge part to me because I still have made a few good friends and don't go to lots of parties anyways. I would recommend anyone considering UMD to give it a good chance and possibly visit as any kind of person could succeed and have a good time here. Fri, 17 Jun 2016 03:14:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMD/UMaryland-College Park for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html I only came to be closer to home and it was awful. People are rude and stupid. A lot of students have no class and behave like animals. The amount of scandals that have been under wraps is awful. They... Wed, 24 Feb 2016 06:27:05 GMT StudentsReview 639-172854 639-172854 639 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2015 4th Year Negative I only came to be closer to home and it was awful. People are rude and stupid. A lot of students have no class and behave like animals. The amount of scandals that have been under wraps is awful. They will do their best to not let things get out if possible. They care more about how shiny the campus appears than how the students really are. I wish I never went there but I had to. The only thing that got me through were my friends. Wed, 24 Feb 2016 06:27:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMD/UMaryland-College Park for Aerospace Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html I honestly cant recommend UMD to non minority students. The social life is god awful. Most people suck, especially in the honors college. My two biggest regrets are not joining a fraternity and joinin... Wed, 10 Feb 2016 08:13:20 GMT StudentsReview 639-172696 639-172696 639 2 Aerospace Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Negative I honestly cant recommend UMD to non minority students. The social life is god awful. Most people suck, especially in the honors college. My two biggest regrets are not joining a fraternity and joining the honors college. But its too late now, my social life sucks, and im very seriously considering dropping out since i do nothing but sit around all day. Classes are very unengaging - i end up doing almost no work even though i have a ton of free time. The facilities are outdated. Possibly the worst dining services in the country. Useless gen-ed classes and lots of them. Terrible math department. I HATE UMD. Wed, 10 Feb 2016 08:13:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMD/UMaryland-College Park for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html Your college life may consist of social life and academics BUT it also consists of administrative and paperwork bullshit that you WILL have to deal with unless your mommy and daddy handle everything f... Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:54:00 GMT StudentsReview 639-159939 639-159939 639 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Negative Your college life may consist of social life and academics BUT it also consists of administrative and paperwork bullshit that you WILL have to deal with unless your mommy and daddy handle everything for you.

O.M.G - RUDEST and most incompetent fucking admin people EVER!!!!!!!!! (And I've been to another state school.) I'm thinking of returning to this school (what the hell is wrong with me?!) for another degree and I see that 2 years down along the line their admin people have not gotten ANY better. Wow.

When I first applied they claimed they didn't get like half of the SAT/SAT II scores that I sent over despite that I paid $45 a pop for those stupid reports. They lost a bunch of that paper work.

I initially got rejected because I was a transfer student and didn't have enough credits as a freshman to transfer. I appealed immediately. The guy I appealed to (tried to find his name but of course they hide that information so these people don't get slammed with inquiries and might actually have to do THEIR JOB) was RUDE. He flat out told me "not to bother" (literally his words) making an appointment with him because it was pointless. RUDE. I pressed on and scheduled it anyway to make my case. He decided to check his email at that moment after I sat there wringing my hands and making my case for 10 min and told me that I was accepted. Not sure why he couldn't have just LOOKED IN THE SYSTEM the night before meeting with me or WHATEVER and had to put me through weeks of anxiety just to tell me "the good news". Total asshole with such an air of self-importance that I have to laugh. You work as a university admin ... your importance is pretty low on the totem pole, guy.

This wasn't the end of it. I was a foreign student (who lived in america for more than 10 years at the time) and they wouldn't let me get the In-State tuition rate even though I had lived in the state for a few years at that point. They sent me away and told me to wait a year and come back to talk them. I waited patiently. A year later I found out this policy was REPEALED and I had been eligible for In-State tuition for about 4-5 months before. An entire semester before. No one called, emailed or sent a letter notifying me of this. I skipped an entire semester of school at UMD because I couldn't afford it and they forgot to mention this tiny detail.

When I was in the actual school one summer their system decided to sign me up for a math class that I didn't register for, randomly. I had NO idea. So, all summer this unpaid class accrued late penalties until I finally realized something was wrong and went to the university to resolve the issue. I talked to THE rudest bitch that worked in the Registrar's office who PRETTY much told me she couldn't help me. Her ANGEL of a coworker must have overheard the whole thing because when the rude bitch wasn't in the office (the SECOND time I came to talk to them about this issue) she offered to help me and got everything resolved in 30 minutes. All of this for a class I did NOT sign up for!

Now that I'm THINKING (writing this review I'm seriously reconsidering) going back for another degree they have sent me in CIRCLES trying to sign up for an informational workshop. That's ALL I want to do - just learn a little more about one of their programs, I'm not asking for the friggin sky here! I've talked to 3 different departments and exchanged like 20 emails and everyone keeps telling me "no I can't help you". DO YOU WANT MY MONEY OR NOT?!

God, please think twice about this place if you think that it's going to be easy to go to school here. If you are boring and typical and nothing exciting or unusual ever happens to you (this is college -do you really think your life is going to be like that??) then maybe your experience will be ok, but if you stand out in ANY way - fuck your life.

I'm not going to even get started on their broish frat culture and disgustingly old facilities (we were sitting in tiny old wooden desks in a majority of the buildings on the mall). They have money to build huge stadiums but they don't have enough money to upgrade the furniture their students need to be able to study. I can't even.
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:54:00 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMD/UMaryland-College Park for Philosophyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html I hate this school and I hate college park city. It is my fault since I decided to go to school so close to home but it was the cheapest option honestly if you don't have a concrete idea on what you w... Wed, 25 Mar 2015 04:20:29 GMT StudentsReview 639-158737 639-158737 639 32 Philosophy Male Undergraduate Class 2014 3rd Year Negative I hate this school and I hate college park city. It is my fault since I decided to go to school so close to home but it was the cheapest option honestly if you don't have a concrete idea on what you want to do take a gap year! I'm black/mixed with an international background, have traveled all of my life until I got to Maryland where I stayed for 8 years. I wantnothing more then to leave this state yet I enrolled in college here becauseI really didn't have any other options. This was a bad idea not only did itleave me with no with ethic but it was a waste of time and my parents trust and resources. Anyway UMD is boring if you dpnt share the common American interests of sports fraternities and repetitive bars. if you are very outgoing which I am not,I'm sure you will be she to find a more satisfying use of time than I did but if you are at all cultures out unimpressed by sub standard partying and entitled ugly girls then I guarantee you will find yourself conforming to have fun. I really think that my experience is a bit unique and as a result maybe you should not put asmuch weight into this review however I will say that overall I had a bad experience. I would have much rather gone to school somewhere in Europe for a fraction of the cost or a state with a significant international population. I am black to the university and although I did bit experience any racism directly I could definitely feel it. Parties are very weary in allowing minorities into there parties and for good reason. Many of the black student body are just plain irritating and can be violent. Seriously I think black people have a harder time here not because whites are intolerant but because other blacks have given such a bad reputation. The other problem is the surrounding area. College park is a shit hole,I've never been jumped ot threatened because I'm over6foot and black but I can see how others may feel intimidated. The minorities who live in collegepark can be straight up violent and I would assume that some parties cannot tell the difference. I would say if you are black but do notfit in the black culture i.e ask your friends are black then go to somewhere else like California or somewhere with a smaller black population. Wed, 25 Mar 2015 04:20:29 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MD/UMC_comments.html