StudentsReview - The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor - Life at UMich Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html Life at UMich - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMich for Engineering Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html I hate this school. It's way too expensive to have mostly crappy lecturers teaching classes. The professors who actually do research are usually quite good, but most teach graduate level classes. I... Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:07:15 GMT StudentsReview 699-175715 699-175715 699 61 Engineering Department Female Undergraduate Class 2018 3rd Year Negative I hate this school. It's way too expensive to have mostly crappy lecturers teaching classes. The professors who actually do research are usually quite good, but most teach graduate level classes. If you decide to attend U of M, avoid the college of engineering, unless you want to develop some kind of mental disorder. There's no friendly support since you and your classmates are going to be too busy cutting each other's throats for As. Unless you are exceptionally brilliant, dont expect staff to pay any mind to you either. Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:07:15 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMich for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html In my experience the school is very social; the student body likes to get involved and be with each other, whether it's for a fundraiser, or a club, or even just a run around the stadium. You won't li... Wed, 08 Jun 2016 01:00:50 GMT StudentsReview 699-173851 699-173851 699 0 Unknown Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Neutral In my experience the school is very social; the student body likes to get involved and be with each other, whether it's for a fundraiser, or a club, or even just a run around the stadium. You won't like everyone you meet (because that's just life), but there are 45,000 people on campus and, I've found that the conversations and types of friends I made have been incredibly meaningful. Wed, 08 Jun 2016 01:00:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMich for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html This school was a massive disappointment for me. With such a solid reputation, the low quality of the faculty shocked me. Make no mistake, this is a "research institution," as our dear President Schli... Sat, 14 May 2016 01:42:17 GMT StudentsReview 699-173563 699-173563 699 38 Psychology Male Undergraduate Class 2016 4th Year Negative This school was a massive disappointment for me. With such a solid reputation, the low quality of the faculty shocked me. Make no mistake, this is a "research institution," as our dear President Schlissel loves to say in his emails to students. Unfortunately, teaching appears to be optional in this "research institution," or "degree factory" as I like to call it. I can't blame the professors because there is so little incentive for them to put effort into teaching when their livelihood directly comes from how much research they churn out. It shows. As a pre-med student, I essentially taught myself all of the material from general chemistry through biochemistry. I did well, but I worked extremely hard to compensate for the lack of quality instruction. Even worse, many science professors do not hold office hours. Rather, they have "open discussions" in which students are allowed to ask questions. However, this makes it extremely difficult to get to know professors on an individual basis, which is problematic for letters of recommendation. The best they can do is "recognize your face" from class, which is a shame. Don't go into Michigan with any illusions. You are a number. The University does not care about you. The professors range from mediocre to incompetent. Good luck. You're on your own.

Social life at Michigan is a bit less bleak. There are plenty of organizations to join, though I would argue that many student orgs are (forgive the expression) disorganized. Joining organizations, in particular, is haphazard with a giant sign-up free-for-fall called Festifall at the beginning of each school year. Greek life is quite big at Michigan. There's definitely a divide between the GDIs and the Greeks. While students are generally friendly and approachable, people do look at you differently when you don't have letters, wear Sperry's and Vineyard Vines, or end every sentence with "bruh." Obviously, if you're a sports fan, Michigan is the place for you. Football, basketball, hockey, etc. are all very popular, though football definitely takes the cake. However, game days seem to be more of an excuse to drink excessively at pre-games and tailgates than passion for the sport. My first few game days were magical, but I quickly found that I grew tired of losing my Saturdays (and quite frequently the contents of my stomach). As a pre-med student, I didn't get to take much advantage of social life at Michigan. I didn't have trouble making friends, but time spent hanging out often included studying.

I've heard many people say that Michigan has a beautiful campus. I disagree. There are perhaps three weeks during an entire school year in which I would concede that the campus looks nice. The Diag often looks and smells like a swamp, the buildings comprise a messy hodgepodge of disparate architecture, and the horrendous weather makes it difficult to enjoy strolling through campus. Quick note on the weather: I'm from Chicago, so I'm used to bad winters and somewhat unpredictable weather. However, the weather I experienced during my four years in Ann Arbor was NOTICEABLY worse Chicago. There was one day in which it snowed, hailed, rained, and became sunny. ALL IN ONE DAY. Even the animals had mystified expressions on their faces. My advice for someone planning to attend Michigan: get used to cold and gray. I've never stayed in a city with less sunshine than Ann Arbor.

Moving on to the surrounding city, Ann Arbor is great, particularly during the summer. There's a beautiful arboretum near the Medical Campus, and downtown is filled with many interesting places to eat. Seeing as it's Ann Arbor, there are quite a few hipster places, so if that's your thing...However, undergraduate students typically don't go into downtown. They mainly stay east of State Street with the exception of Skeeps bar. With this in mind, I think Ann Arbor is better for graduate students and adults.

I want to hit on an important topic, which is diversity. The University constantly jerks itself off as a champion of diversity. I will concede that there are many races represented at the school. However, the school mistakes sheer racial numbers for true diversity. The vast majority of people at the school come from the exact same mold - suburban, well-off, middle to upper middle class - yes, even many of the racially diverse students. Furthermore, there is a shocking amount of segregation among the students. Black people hang out with black people. Asians hang out with Asians. White people hang out with white people. Arabs hang out with Arabs. Indians hang out with Indians. There isn't much mixing of the races. Thus, I haven't gained many new cultural perspectives, which is why I have a major problem with the University's self-proclamation of outstanding diversity. Not to mention, the students can be quite racist. We've had our share of problems during my four years here.

What else is there to say? Overall, Michigan did not live up to my expectations. The administrators believe that it is a "research institution" rather than a "school," and it shows. Unfortunately, that philosophy leaves thousands of students hung out to dry. It's definitely not worth out-of-state tuition. I would only give a half-hearted recommendation to attend Michigan if you're in-state or plan to major in business. The business school, while difficult to get into, is an absolute joke once you get in. They inflate grades, fill out your schedules for you, and hook you up with basically any internship you want. However, if you don't fall into the business or in-state categories, save yourself the money and headaches by going somewhere else.
Sat, 14 May 2016 01:42:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about UMich for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html I was a top-notch student (and National Merit Scholar) prior to coming to college (only ended up with a 3.0 at UM, and that's because I decided to step up my game in the last year and pull A's--this m... Mon, 25 Apr 2016 01:33:20 GMT StudentsReview 699-173373 699-173373 699 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Advice I was a top-notch student (and National Merit Scholar) prior to coming to college (only ended up with a 3.0 at UM, and that's because I decided to step up my game in the last year and pull A's--this merely consisted of attending class). One point of advice would be to take time off in between high school and college to get your bearings and re-calibrate what it is you actually wanted to study/achieve. If you are an achiever, you might need a breather. People coming out of the "success" track from high school haven't fully had the chance to explore their own darn minds and reflect. I cannot recommend more heartily to take a step back, go work as a barrister/a for a while, shake off some of that compulsive programming (be it personal or parental), and THEN make the choice about college--because that can be a great experience, but I think more appreciated when it isn't just part of a continuum that you haven't truly been at the wheel of.
Additionally, I do think there is a financial divide that separates some students from the majority here at UM. I did come from a privileged background so I cannot speak to that fully on my own behalf, but I employ staff that haven't been so advantaged, and they have expressed a sense of isolation and general lack of comprehension of where the bulk of their peers are coming from. Something of which to be aware and willing to wrangle with.
Lastly, and somewhat adding to the above observation, diversity does exist at UM, if you are merely looking at skin color (although African Americans are underrepresented). However, when you take a closer look at diversity, the upbringing and financial backgrounds of the majority of students closely mirror one another. There is a paucity of "experiential", "economical", diversity. Perhaps this is typical of all Big Ten schools, I don't know. But I feel like exposure to other cultures and ways of life are limited by the average college-track youth being funneled into the same mold. And that mold is finely represented at UM.
Positive points: Ann Arbor is a decent place. There are very good professors that are committed to their work and mentoring roles (as well as bad).
Essentially, I think college is going to have its ups and downs, wherever you attend. Like life itself. Just brace yourself for the realities, read all the reviews you can, and make your leap (hopefully after taking some time off from the academic grind!). Good luck out there!
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 01:33:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about UMich for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html A good education can be had at any university or community college. But a large, globally respected university like Michigan offers more than just a good eduction. It provides an opportunity to meet... Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:45:29 GMT StudentsReview 699-172448 699-172448 699 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Advice A good education can be had at any university or community college. But a large, globally respected university like Michigan offers more than just a good eduction. It provides an opportunity to meet and learn from people who shape the world at the highest levels of government and business. If you don't take advantage of the special opportunities a world class university offers, you may as well save your money and attend a smaller, less expensive school. Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:45:29 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MI/UMAA_comments.html