StudentsReview - Saint Johns University - Life at SJUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html Life at SJU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about SJU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html This is the kind of worthless, self-righteous University (along with Saint Ben's) that becomes nothing more than a circle-jerk of students sitting around talking about how wonderful the college is whi... Fri, 08 Nov 2013 05:12:40 GMT StudentsReview 726-96953 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 726-96953 726 54 Communications Male Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative This is the kind of worthless, self-righteous University (along with Saint Ben's) that becomes nothing more than a circle-jerk of students sitting around talking about how wonderful the college is while not actually doing anything of substance with their lives and not actually getting anything of any value from the university itself.

It's the kind of place where nobodies with no ambition or intelligence will mock those who actually wish to pursue real-world opportunities such as getting an internship or job. Instead, latte-sipping idiots sit around in their own smug self-absorbed worlds making comments such as, "he wasn't at practice because he went to a job fair...as if you need a job!"

Not only that, the administration is out-of-touch with the real needs of the student body and instead blows a fortune (raising tuition to obscene levels all the meanwhile) on idiotic expenditures that do nothing to benefit the university. As an example, in spring of 2013, they booked the rapper Sammy Adams for the annual "pinestock" concert and spent $25,000 before opting to cancel the concert altogether because nobody bothered to check the lyrical content of Sammy Adams prior to booking him to make sure it went with the college. In addition, they continue to spend money on other frivolous expenditures while ignoring real issues such as the complete lack of drinking fountains or even clean drinking water in any of the dorms.

Long story short, absolutely do not go to CSBSJU. Going for the "name value" of getting a degree from there isn't even worth it anymore considering there are better, more connected, and smarter-run local universities (Saint Thomas, Concordia, etc.)
Fri, 08 Nov 2013 05:12:40 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about SJU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html I didn't always enjoy my time at SJU, but in the end I think it was a good and unique place to go to college. The campus is truly beautiful, the lakes and the woods are amazing in the fall and winter... Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:59:39 GMT StudentsReview 726-89025 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 726-89025 726 17 English Male Undergraduate Class 2004 4th Year Positive I didn't always enjoy my time at SJU, but in the end I think it was a good and unique place to go to college. The campus is truly beautiful, the lakes and the woods are amazing in the fall and winter, the libraries are quiet and peaceful, the academics are mostly strong and did a good job of preparing me for grad school.

The college is out in the middle of nowhere, however. There are two small towns nearby, Avon and St. Joseph (where the sister school the College of St. Benedict is located). Most people go to St. Joe and go out to the bars, the restaurants (pizza parlors and a sub shop) or the coffee shop on main street. You can also drive into St. Cloud (around 15 miles away), which is a small city with a mall, a movie theater and not much else to do.

The campus itself can be very quiet. It is not strange to go out in the morning and see more deer than people. During my first year I felt pretty lonely. When I first arrived, many of the students seemed oppressively normal and boring to me. They came from bland middle class families, loved football, were studying business because they couldn't think of anything else to do, and they liked to go out to house parties or just drink in the dorms and play video games. This isn't really my idea of a good time, especially when it happens almost every night of the week. I eventually met some off beat and more interesting people, but it took awhile to find them. SJU can seem oppressively homogeneous, but there is a partly underground counterculture there as well--artists, writers, international students and people who actually care about things other than football and video games. It is also easy to get involved in student clubs, publications and the radio station. They're always looking for people to help out. My later years were more fun because I got involved and met a range of different people. It is a lot easier to live out in the country if you have good company.

If you arrive at SJU and don't like the standard social scene, try to shake things up a bit. Join a club or take some classes that fit your interests and see who else is in them. I almost transferred out after the first semester, but I'm now really glad I stuck with it.
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:59:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about SJU for Chemistryhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html make sure that you have investigated the department that you want to study. when i visited sju i talked with the chem department to make sure that they were satisfactory, and i was very impressed. sin... Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:11:22 GMT StudentsReview 726-62553 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 726-62553 726 9 Chemistry Male Undergraduate Class 2010 3rd Year Advice make sure that you have investigated the department that you want to study. when i visited sju i talked with the chem department to make sure that they were satisfactory, and i was very impressed. since then i have had three great years at sju and in my fourth right now. Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:11:22 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about SJU for Language - French/Spanish/etc.http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html Saint John's and Saint Ben's are truly remarkable universities, and I would recommend them to anyone who wants a solid community atmosphere coupled with an inspiring educational environment.... Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:07:14 GMT StudentsReview 726-62552 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 726-62552 726 22 Language - French/Spanish/etc. Male Undergraduate Class 2011 2nd Year Positive Saint John's and Saint Ben's are truly remarkable universities, and I would recommend them to anyone who wants a solid community atmosphere coupled with an inspiring educational environment. Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:07:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about SJU for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html The Complete Saint John’s University (MN) Review: Having spent an entire Junior and Senior year of high school searching for the perfect-fit university for me, not once did I select "rural c... Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:15:06 GMT StudentsReview 726-45624 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 726-45624 726 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2011 1st Year Negative The Complete Saint John’s University (MN) Review:

Having spent an entire Junior and Senior year of high school searching for the perfect-fit university for me, not once did I select "rural campus" as an option. It wasn't until the middle of my Junior year that I had even heard of Saint John's. After this acquaintance, I decided to tour it during Minnesota's Private College Week, and I fell in love with the campus; I felt very at home (despite it being in the absolute middle of nowhere). One thing that drew me to Saint John's was the GREAT academic scholarships. The scholarships actually make the private school quite affordable in respect to other private schools (it’s still rather expensive).

Unfortunately, after the excitement of being at college, meeting new people, and being away from home wore off, the reality of the school started to set in. The social life here is completely ridiculous (and I don’t mean off-the-hook, great time ridiculous). An example: My girlfriend was up here for the first time on a Friday night in early November, and as I showed her around the campus, she just plainly asked, “Where are all the people?!” At that point, I realized that the majority of the student body was in “town” (if you want to call it that) getting completely drunk and “hooking up with chicks, dawg.” I have never seen such disrespect for women in my life. I cannot say that I was incredibly surprised, as I am sure that this is the unfortunate case at many universities, but I did not expect to have to hear how a guy accomplished getting a “completely wasted chick in his room last night” every single time I took a shower or walked through the hallways of my dorm. This was especially unsettling considering how much Saint John’s stresses the importance of respect and dignity. So as far as the social life goes, if you’re not looking for every weekend to be filled with “parties” (essentially a keg or two of nasty beer and hordes of sweaty people), there are few other options.

The town of Saint Joseph’s (where SJU’s sister school, CSB, is located) includes a wonderful assortment of pizza parlors (but that’s about it). There is one café, which is actually pretty nice, but the rest of the city consists of bars, grocery stores, liquor stores, and a couple gas stations. This is NOT the place to immerse yourself in social diversity, nor to enjoy a bustling nightlife full of things to do other than keg parties. Overall, the social life is pretty rough here.

Arguably one of the most important aspects of a university is the academic rigor. Having been an A student in high school, I feel like I kind of short-changed myself in coming to Saint John’s. There are a good number of very intelligent people here, but the students settling for mediocrity considerably outnumber them. In every class that I have been in, it is a common thing to hear a resounding, “Dude, did you study for this test?? Naw, man.. I was up playing Halo until 3 in the morning last night.” That being said, if you are looking for an academically driven university, this might not be the place for you.

As far as the student body goes, it has been difficult, but I have met some GREAT people here. After the first week of school, I just decided to stop asking people where they were from, because it was literally safe to assume that they grew up in a small town in Minnesota (and if not, the topic would come up eventually). To be brief, there are many “nice” students here on campus but many of them lack substance. They grew up on a farm, they are here studying business, and they want to get drunk this weekend – end of story. But don’t get me wrong – there is a good number of very interesting people if you take the time to search.

All in all, I have had a pretty negative experience at Saint John’s, and I will not be coming back next year. At this point, I have decided that this University is a PERFECT fit for much of the student body if you: 1) Don’t care that it is in the middle of nowhere, 2) Had relatives graduate from Saint John’s, 3) Are a ‘B’ student from Minnesota and desire to go to a private university, 4) Love the outdoors enough to actually live in them 24/7, and 5) Love to cheer on division III sports. In conclusion, this university is absolutely fantastic if you match the above criteria, but if not, look for a more diverse and academically rigorous university that actually has a city!
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:15:06 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/SJU_comments.html