StudentsReview - The University of Minnesota Twin Cities - Life at UMN/UMTC Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html Life at UMN/UMTC - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMN/UMTC for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html I have been reading through a lot of these comments on here before I even come to the U of M, and now that I have been here for two years, I could understand where those comments come from but also th... Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:52:00 GMT StudentsReview 733-184383 733-184383 733 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 1921 2nd Year Neutral I have been reading through a lot of these comments on here before I even come to the U of M, and now that I have been here for two years, I could understand where those comments come from but also think they are exaggeration. People will only write reviews if they either LOVE it so much or DETEST it.

For me personally, I feel like this school is not for me. The university is gigantic and I feel like I don't really belong anywhere, despite being in a smaller college. There are really too many students for the school to care about and we are (literally lol) numbers here. But that's good in some way because you will have to be independent and go seek for help when you need it, no one will hold your hands.

Academically, I'm in the Carlson school and I feel fairly challenged. The kids in there are unbelievably conceited, privileged and dare I say ignorant about anything other than business and networking, it's frustrating. I would say it is hard to find people who are actually interested in academic/learning and want to talk about it.

As an international student, making friends is hard for me and certainly not because of language barrier. The school is enormous and everyone has their own schedule and activities and you may go months without seeing someone again on campus because it is that big.

The weather is rough and 6 months of winter make me very depressed and anxious. The summer in MN is gorgeous though, I always wish we would have the entire winter off and study during the summer...

Minneapolis & St. Paul, big cities but not too many things to do. The public transport is available but doesnt take you everywhere and the wait is torturous during the winter months. Safety could be better, I'm a little scared walking alone on campus late at night.
Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:52:00 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMN/UMTC for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA. You will spend way to much and get nothing, at least that was my experience. The teachers in my program were rude, not willing to help or answer ques... Sat, 19 Nov 2016 03:47:44 GMT StudentsReview 733-176856 733-176856 733 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA. You will spend way to much and get nothing, at least that was my experience. The teachers in my program were rude, not willing to help or answer questions, and did not want the students to succeed. They were NOT teachers. If I knew what I know now I would have checked some books out from a public library and tried to learn the material myself because at least that way I could have saved over $8,000. Sat, 19 Nov 2016 03:47:44 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about UMN/UMTC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html The U of M is/was (i graduated a few years back) an excellent value. It was cheap. There are numerous scholarship opportunities and the tuition is low to begin with (relative to out-of-state public ... Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:27:28 GMT StudentsReview 733-173995 733-173995 733 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2010 4th Year Neutral The U of M is/was (i graduated a few years back) an excellent value. It was cheap. There are numerous scholarship opportunities and the tuition is low to begin with (relative to out-of-state public and/or private institutions). The education is not so great, but you CAN get an amazing education. If you really push it, and make connections whereever you can, I am convinced that you can get an amazing education at the U of M. And, theoretically, you can do this on a shoestring tuition budget. Also, relatively speaking, the twin cities are cheap to live in. It seemed absurdly expensive at the time, but then you move to the coasts, and realize that it is actually absurdly cheap in the twin cities.

There are many things I truly detest and find despicable, about the U of M, don't get me wrong. However, for what you pay, I think the education CAN BE (not necessarily "is") outstanding.
Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:27:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about UMN/UMTC for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html It's a terrible university thst markets its self as far better than it is when you are really better off anywhere else. People are arrogant, professors don't care and the University could care less ab... Thu, 24 Mar 2016 01:17:45 GMT StudentsReview 733-173093 733-173093 733 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative It's a terrible university thst markets its self as far better than it is when you are really better off anywhere else. People are arrogant, professors don't care and the University could care less about the students. Thu, 24 Mar 2016 01:17:45 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about UMN/UMTC for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html I think it's important to remember that since this is such a large college with multiple smaller colleges everyones experiences will be different. I graduated from the college of biological sciences a... Mon, 24 Aug 2015 05:43:18 GMT StudentsReview 733-170025 733-170025 733 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Positive I think it's important to remember that since this is such a large college with multiple smaller colleges everyones experiences will be different. I graduated from the college of biological sciences and I loved my time at the U. I think generally, as a traditional undergraduate student, the majority of people will enjoy their time here.

Yes, the campus is large but once you learn how to navigate it everything is within a 20 minute walk. Yes, there are a lot of people but you will make friends and you will find your group. I wouldn't say I was "treated as a number" but no one is going to hold your hand here. I personally liked that as it gave me freedom to choose my classes and make my own plan for graduation without being pestered. However, if you like a little more guidance there are always resources available to you if you seek them out.

The classes range from dull to inspiring with most falling somewhere in the middle. I'm now in professional school and I think many of my undergraduate upper division science courses were harder than what I am encountering now. So in that regard, I feel like I was prepared very well for additional schooling. If you choose a science major there is a very large emphasis on research, if you love it you will fit right in.

The social life at the U really is what you make of it. There are always things going on and parties happening, you can have as active or as not active of a social life as you want. Overall, I loved my time at the U was amazing and I would love to go back.
Mon, 24 Aug 2015 05:43:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/MN/UMMI_comments.html