StudentsReview - Appalachian State University - Life at ASU Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html Life at ASU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about ASU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html Everyone's situation is different, and I blame myself for attending this school (and not transferring). I'm perfectly fine with where I am in life, so no sour grapes. But I owe absolutely nothing I've... Sun, 04 Mar 2018 01:19:58 GMT StudentsReview 795-182868 795-182868 795 17 English Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Negative Everyone's situation is different, and I blame myself for attending this school (and not transferring). I'm perfectly fine with where I am in life, so no sour grapes. But I owe absolutely nothing I've done post-collegiately to this place, and I wish I had gone somewhere with more emphasis on academics and career-building.

If you consider your absolute ceiling 2.5 children, a golden retriever, and a stable sales job in Raleigh or Charlotte, then App may be the school for you. That's what the two or three most successful people I know from App are up to a decade later. If you have any interest in leaving North Carolina and/or pursuing bigger goals, then a degree from here will not do you any favors.

I don't know what it's like now. But when I graduated, I planned to move to a major city. A week after I graduated, I popped into the alumni center to ask about any alumni network there. I was looked at like a crazy person. On the few occasions I met with someone in career services as a student, I was made to feel like I was wasting their time for bothering. Nothing was provided for me that I couldn't have just Googled. This is stuff that is supposed to be "normal" at large universities. There's just really not much learning done outside of the classroom, and I feel that this is reflected in both career services and the reach of any alumni network (or lack thereof).

As for the classes themselves... I was challenged so much more in high school AP and IB classes. I really enjoyed the content of most classes in my major, and I had a few top notch professors. But everything was still very easy. I had extremely "country" classmates (especially freshman and sophomore years) who couldn't even speak or write proper English. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but those people were not helpful at all to have as peers. Pretty much all group work I did throughout college was absolute hell. Most people were not motivated at all.

I knew maybe 4-5 people in my entire four years who did summer internships. Almost every single person I knew graduated and either moved back in with their parents to job hunt, or stayed in Boone working hourly restaurant/retail jobs. Again, not that there's anything wrong with that. But based on my friends' experiences at other schools, that is not normal.

Some positive things I can say... The people were friendly, and it was a nice collegiate atmosphere. The campus is also very pretty. The surrounding outdoors opportunities are really good by East Coast standards. And if small-time D1 football is your thing, then you're in luck. Because that's what the entire county revolves around during the fall.

With the right amount of effort and independent legwork, you can do well here. As I wrote earlier, I'm perfectly pleased with where I am in life. If you're motivated though, I just don't see the point in putting yourself in a position where you don't have the real-world resources a university is supposed to have. If anything in my review speaks to you, then I'd seriously recommend going to a school where the long-term expectation is better than making $50k/yr in NC for your entire life.

If you're like I was (enticed by scholarship money), think long and hard about whether you want to be a big fish in a small pond here. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone somewhere better.
Sun, 04 Mar 2018 01:19:58 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about ASU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html I'm transferring to another school as soon as I can. This one is the definition of an old-timey country school. Even though I grew up in NC, half the teachers had accents I've only heard in old movies... Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:15:18 GMT StudentsReview 795-181107 795-181107 795 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 1921 1st Year Negative I'm transferring to another school as soon as I can. This one is the definition of an old-timey country school. Even though I grew up in NC, half the teachers had accents I've only heard in old movies like Deliverance and they were barely understandable. Don't even get me started on the religious stuff. Thu, 21 Sep 2017 09:15:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about ASU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html App is a fine school. The biggest problem is with food services. It is awful, the food is delightfully mediocre until you've been eating every day for two years and they will literally break your knee... Sun, 05 Mar 2017 06:16:18 GMT StudentsReview 795-179149 795-179149 795 17 English Male Undergraduate Class 1920 2nd Year Negative App is a fine school. The biggest problem is with food services. It is awful, the food is delightfully mediocre until you've been eating every day for two years and they will literally break your knee caps and sell them to squeeze every fucking penny out of you that they can. Want hummus on your sandwich 2 dollars an ounce weighed separately, saltine crackers 1 dollar extra, a cookie three dollars. I challenge you to eat a full meal for under twelve dollars. They also go to lengths to prevent stealing as no one in their right mind is willing to pay what they ask. Live off campus, do not get a meal plan. If you have no other choice then I would advise you to invest in lube because they will not use any. Sun, 05 Mar 2017 06:16:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about ASU for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html The management program itself is okay, but you HAVE to be willing to do a little bit of work outside of class to come out with a job offer. That means doing a tiny bit of community service, gathering ... Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:10:32 GMT StudentsReview 795-172167 795-172167 795 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2016 4th Year Positive The management program itself is okay, but you HAVE to be willing to do a little bit of work outside of class to come out with a job offer. That means doing a tiny bit of community service, gathering any kind of work experience, and getting some kind of internship to ensure that you can sell yourself at a career fair. I got an offer two months into my senior year and I will enjoy coasting through the rest of it knowing that I'm going to be okay. Not to mention a bunch of other companies are interested in me. Thanks ASU!!! Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:10:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NC/ASU_comments.html