StudentsReview - Arizona State University - Life at ASUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html Life at ASU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about ASU for Linguisticshttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html Like many other universities, ASU is essentially a for-profit business operating under the guise of "public education". They invest all of their money in their stupid sports programs and attracting la... Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:58:42 GMT StudentsReview 80-145358 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 80-145358 80 68 Linguistics Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative Like many other universities, ASU is essentially a for-profit business operating under the guise of "public education". They invest all of their money in their stupid sports programs and attracting lazy rich kids who will spend more money while on campus. The only reason I attended this college was because I would receive in-state tuition and be able to live with family while in school. Since I am paying my own way through school, the financial aspect is important, and was the deciding factor in my enrollment there. While I've had some good professors at ASU, the overall environment is toxic, overpopulated, and profit-driven. I'd caution against attending this institution if you are academically focused in any way. Even highly social academics may end up hating this place.
I would strongly caution older students against going here. You are going to feel like you are attending school at a high-school kegger rather than a public university. I'm probably somewhat young in comparison to some of the older students on this campus, and I certainly feel out of place here. I can't imagine what someone in their late thirties or forties feels like here.
Another note, transportation and parking is ridiculous. The campus (and rest of the Tempe area) is really spread out, making it super inconvenient to get around without a car. However, the parking fees, and the constant traffic related-congestion right next to the university is just absurd.
As I said, this school is best for rich party-kids.
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:58:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about ASU for Language - French/Spanish/etc.http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html This school is a little bit disappointing. Before going here, I went to a nearby community college which had brand new beautiful facilities, and received amazing teaching in the courses related to my ... Thu, 11 Sep 2014 07:04:32 GMT StudentsReview 80-128440 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 80-128440 80 22 Language - French/Spanish/etc. Male Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Neutral This school is a little bit disappointing. Before going here, I went to a nearby community college which had brand new beautiful facilities, and received amazing teaching in the courses related to my major. But ASU's buildings are kind of ancient from my experience. The desks are often uncomfortable to sit at, making it hard to get through a class without being distracted by it. The staff can vary between being very nice and being condescending and unpleasant. Another issue with this school is that there are simply too many students. If you ever want to get lunch with a friend on campus, good luck finding a place to sit that isn't outside in the sun. The campus is huge, but it's still not big enough for 80,000 students. I would recommend definitely taking 2 years in a community college first before coming here, you'll likely get a better education that way and be less intimidated when switching to such a massive place. Thu, 11 Sep 2014 07:04:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about ASU for Financehttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html I am a resident of VA. My son attends ASU. On Sept 5 the Tempe Police stormed into my sons apartment at University Place. My son was eating a hamburger watching TV and his roommate was asleep. The pol... Sat, 06 Sep 2014 05:22:28 GMT StudentsReview 80-125461 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 80-125461 80 79 Finance Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I am a resident of VA. My son attends ASU. On Sept 5 the Tempe Police stormed into my sons apartment at University Place. My son was eating a hamburger watching TV and his roommate was asleep. The police came in accused him of drinking (he had not been, a breath test confirmed this) They accused him of throwing cans from his apartment. He was not there at the time of the incident. They arrested him for disorderly conduct when he protested being arrested for no good reason.
The Tempe police denied my son a phone call and took his cell phone away from him. My son was forced to stay the night in jail which he said was terrifying. The next morning he was shackled, yes shackled and brought into the Court to hear the charges against him. The D.A. said he could pay 150.00 to go to a reform class and the charges would be expunged from his record.
I am in disbelief and am appalled at the manner the police treated my son. Guilty until proven innocent. Is this really the way Tempe AZ wants to be seen?

This is a boy who has NEVER been in any trouble of any sort. He is level headed and smart. He really wanted to attend A.S.U. but now I hope to transfer him out of the state as our whole family is very disillusioned with the ?Police State? of Tempe.

I work in the travel industry. I will not hesitate to inform my clients of this incident when looking for venues for events.

This incident should be an embarrassment to the City of Tempe, A.S.U. and Maricopa County.

Sincerely,

Julie Wood
Sat, 06 Sep 2014 05:22:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about ASU for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html I hate ASU, they only want money and are only interested in funding their stupid sports program. They "don't allow" underage drinking or illegal substances, yet do nothing if they discover someone bre... Wed, 23 Jul 2014 05:07:13 GMT StudentsReview 80-115371 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 80-115371 80 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative I hate ASU, they only want money and are only interested in funding their stupid sports program. They "don't allow" underage drinking or illegal substances, yet do nothing if they discover someone breaking the rule/law. Party school to the extreme. Many students are rude, think they're "soooo coool" and unwelcoming toward the serious students who are actually there to learn and study. Wed, 23 Jul 2014 05:07:13 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about ASU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html Charges you random fees upon graduation with no advance notice. Lets you go by through semesters not knowing you have an outstanding balance when they said all charges was paid in full at the beginnin... Wed, 14 May 2014 10:16:30 GMT StudentsReview 80-108338 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 80-108338 80 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2014 2nd Year Negative Charges you random fees upon graduation with no advance notice. Lets you go by through semesters not knowing you have an outstanding balance when they said all charges was paid in full at the beginning of the year. Wed, 14 May 2014 10:16:30 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/ASU_comments.html