StudentsReview - Kean University - Life at KCNJhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html Life at KCNJ - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about KCNJ for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html Coming to Kean University has been the best decision of my life. Let me start off, first by saying that I have transferred so many times due to the fact of personal issues. I am an education major and... Thu, 03 Apr 2014 09:43:51 GMT StudentsReview 884-105158 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 884-105158 884 15 Education Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Coming to Kean University has been the best decision of my life. Let me start off, first by saying that I have transferred so many times due to the fact of personal issues. I am an education major and right now I am completing the requirements next semester I start my education classes.
What I like about this University are the classes and Professors, the size is just right, not too big, not to small. The professors know you by name, you're not just a number to them. People are friendly, the classes are challenging but hey, it isn't high school right.

One thing that I will complain about is parking. Parking is terrible, so make sure you come in early. I come here at 11am, and can't find parking by the entrance of the school. I have to park all the way in the back. Another thing, make sure not to park on the yellow lines, those are for the staff. I cannot even emphasize this enough, they will give you tickets, for $100 but I appealed it, and they reduced it for $50. You don't want to get tickets though so park on the WHITE LINES.

Safety is not an issue here. My latest class ends at 10:15pm, I walk to the parking lot like nothing, so don't worry about that.

The campus itself is beautiful, there's internet connections so bring in your laptop, lot of professors let you use the laptop in class and record it. Also, if you are having issues in class get tutoring, it's on CAS. Simple.

I can't really complain, I've read horrible reviews about Kean and I was afraid of coming here, thinking that I will transfer again but that hasn't been the case. I love Kean, I am learning so much.
Thu, 03 Apr 2014 09:43:51 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about KCNJ for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html Academically Kean is a great school. I am an intended Speech Language Communications major. I like the program so far, and plan on continuing throughout my years here. One thing I dislike about Kean i... Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:30:01 GMT StudentsReview 884-104931 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 884-104931 884 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Neutral Academically Kean is a great school. I am an intended Speech Language Communications major. I like the program so far, and plan on continuing throughout my years here. One thing I dislike about Kean is Residential Life. This is mainly a commuter school, so Res Life is pretty small. They care more about the school's appearance more than the students. The dorms are nice, but the Residence hall directors can be a pain with all of their useless rules. There's always dorm parties going on, and there are plenty Frat/Sorrority houses near by. A lot of clubs if you're into that. Cars are def needed on this campus. Living on campus gets boring after awhile, but the dorms are pretty nice. Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:30:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about KCNJ for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html It is a great school! Faculty is extremely approachable I had amazing professors that really care about us learning, understanding and applying the acquired knowledge. Maybe I was lucky but I never ha... Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:03:08 GMT StudentsReview 884-104822 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 884-104822 884 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Positive It is a great school! Faculty is extremely approachable I had amazing professors that really care about us learning, understanding and applying the acquired knowledge. Maybe I was lucky but I never had a "bad" professor. Also, I got accepted to all four grad school programs I applied.
Campus is pretty and well maintained and the Starbucks is HUGE!
Food in the East Campus cafeteria is very good !
This semester the whole trolley situation got much better
Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:03:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about KCNJ for Educationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html The only thing I could complain about Kean University is the parking. It is difficult to find parking right in front of the school, so if you do want to find parking get there before 11am.... Sun, 23 Feb 2014 04:08:26 GMT StudentsReview 884-101941 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 884-101941 884 15 Education Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Neutral The only thing I could complain about Kean University is the parking. It is difficult to find parking right in front of the school, so if you do want to find parking get there before 11am. Sun, 23 Feb 2014 04:08:26 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about KCNJ for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html Kean University is a mixed-bag of positives and negatives. First off, the campus is attractive but, its surrounding location is unsuitable. Morris Ave is traffic hell (i got a red-light ticket becaus... Sat, 02 Nov 2013 12:09:38 GMT StudentsReview 884-96824 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 884-96824 884 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Advice Kean University is a mixed-bag of positives and negatives.
First off, the campus is attractive but, its surrounding location is unsuitable. Morris Ave is traffic hell (i got a red-light ticket because the traffic was so unpredictable) and the town seems a bit shady. It's definitely not ideal to commute here by car. All roads that lead to Kean are plagued with traffic issues and once you get here, parking is absolutely terrible. If you can commute by train, PLEASE do so. You'll save money in the long run and avoid having to use a car. Plus, it's EXTREMELY convenient since Union Station is literally a quarter-mile from campus. Tuition is pretty affordable, IF you commute and are in-state, that is but, just do scholarships and look into financial aid (try to avoid loans though).
Being a Graphic Design major, I had done a lot of research during my senior year of high school on the field and possible occupations. I also contacted Kean and their design department (Robert Busch School of Design) numerous times before even applying to get as much info about the school as I could. I will say that the school does focus a lot on image and the faculty will say what you want to hear in order to hook you in. My department sounded fantastic, they kinda ripped off the Rhode Island School of Design's name and named themselves the Robert Busch School of Design. Their primary faculty was composed of fairly well-known designers who had written design books and have had years of experience. However, those key faculty members are always busy and tend to not be on campus when you really need them. They're good people, just really busy (as most designers in the real world are...), leaving my department virtually, a ghost town. In terms of my personal experience, I'm not very comfortable with the prevalence of adjunct (read:part-time) professors. Some of my professors show up late and aren't as reliable a resource when it came to university matters since they aren't really tied to the school. So far, my professors are pretty great people; helpful and gave me some useful insight to the design world. They aren't really strict about anything, which can be misleading for those willing to take design seriously but, the thing is: they have to contend with varying skill levels so they aren't going to ask for too much out of their students (that's a tad unethical and plus, they're on payroll so take that for what you will) Also, don't try to take the easy way out. They provide a 4-year plan for their programs so, follow them as best as you can. You'll have to contend with 12-hour days due to long, studio classes but, don't be afraid of them. My professors usually let us out a bit earlier, they have lives too. If you already have a job, you might want to look into less hours if you want to alleviate stress during the semester OR you might want to look into a job that involves design-related knowledge/skills. Bottom line: Pull your own weight and try your best to over-do things as a design major. The career is all about connections and an understanding of good design, so do your part to develop a passion for it and stay updated on the latest design trends. Also, nobody ever actually tells you this but, save money for a MacBook Pro or a good laptop and Adobe CS or CC, and any other software you'll need. Plus, you'll need to buy various pencils, sketchpads, foamboards, etc. so SAVE UP for that stuff.
As for general education, it's been pretty simple so far. Freshman composition can be a bit demanding and spontaneous, even. But, if you're a good writer in high school and you actually like writing, you'll be fine. The Transition 2 Kean class varies for people. Some instructors take it seriously (mine does) and others don't really care. It's more of a pre-college college course; to get you to understand what to expect in college. It can be redundant if you already take school seriously but, its a nice break from the more content-focused classes.
Honestly, there is A LOT I would change about Kean if I had the power to. The Wenzhou-Kean campus (the campus in China) doesn't really benefit the school since it already has a bit of a poor reputation nor does the Kean-Ocean satellite campus. The school has to stretch its budget beyond its limits and you end up with lack of faculty or loss of classes. The school prides itself on the student-teacher ratio but, little do people know that that ratio is ungodly disproportionate. 15,000 students and a few hundred faculty members (most of which are probably part-time or constantly busy) It's a giant clusterf**k when it comes to advisement because the people you need aren't there when you need them and the student staff isn't exactly the most helpful or knowledgeable bunch. Most departments are terrible at responding to emails (i.e. student accounting, financial aid, etc.) which would be the ideal way of getting help since again, the unfavorable performance of on-campus staff. However, the school's not to blame entirely. With these kinds of conditions, you'd expect the students to adapt accordingly but, no. A lot of kids ask about parties or complain too much or don't take the initiative to better themselves so, it's really an issue on both sides. That's why Kean is what you make of it. Kean rides on the success of "unicorn" students like Manik Rathee, who worked for Obama's 2012 advertising campaign but, was a transfer student at Kean from Rutgers and most likely did more work outside of the school to get where he's at now.
TL;DR
- Decide on your major before you apply and don't change it, otherwise you're screwed.
- Do work related to your major, whether it's an internship or honing your craft, OUTSIDE of school; use Kean as a tool rather than a lifeline.
- DON'T DRIVE, traffic is terrible, parking is terrible; use the train if you commute and don't dorm if you want to save money, most disproportionate room and boarding fees I've ever seen compared to commuter tuition.
- Stay ahead of everything, always check your school email and KeanWISE account. Do scholarships and get a high GPA (3.0 or higher, definitely try higher) so you can get money and priority registration because class sizes are too freaking small and limited.
- School food sucks kinda, go to the coffee shop or bring food.
- Don't get absorbed by the propaganda; take Kean for what YOU will and not what they say they are.
- Please, take college seriously. Please study and don't party and distract yourselves. Things can get annoying at Kean so, you're better off trying to do well in school rather than having the time of your life. The payoff is way better and the world doesn't seem to be ending too soon so, please just study.
Sat, 02 Nov 2013 12:09:38 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NJ/KCNJ_comments.html