StudentsReview - Adelphi University - Life at Adelphi Copyright 2022 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html Life at Adelphi - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about Adelphi for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html The ideal Adelphi student is a commuter from the Nassau County area, preferably studying nursing, communications, or participating in the STEP program. It is hard to find your place here as an out of ... Wed, 19 Dec 2018 04:58:42 GMT StudentsReview 912-184082 912-184082 912 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 1922 1st Year Negative The ideal Adelphi student is a commuter from the Nassau County area, preferably studying nursing, communications, or participating in the STEP program. It is hard to find your place here as an out of state student as many students transferred from Nassau CC and already know each other. There are very few clubs that are not frats or service based, and the process for accrediting clubs prevents many student-run organizations from being noticed. I personally chose Adelphi for its Bridges to Adelphi support program for students on the autism spectrum, which was excellent and to which I give full credit for my making it through my one semester at Adelphi (shoutout to director Mitch Naegler for being a fantastic adviser), however I do not recommend it to higher-functioning autistic students who wish to meet others like themselves, as many Bridges students are on the lower end. Professors here are generally helpful and understanding when it comes to student shortcomings. The food is overpriced; also, I developed a sensitivity to gluten during the semester and had to stop eating meals on campus because of the lack of gluten-free options. You need a car to get anywhere useful if you are a residential student, but parking is so limited that first and second-year residential students are forced to park their cars nearly a mile off campus with shuttle service to the parking lot. As someone who does not drive, I found it hard to get the places that I need to in a reasonable amount of time. The liberal arts program is subpar. There are not many liberal arts students who are engaged in their major. Another kicker is that the housing contract is full year, so if you wish to leave after the fall semester, you will likely still be stuck paying housing for the spring. Overall, the only useful thing I developed here was a nicotine habit, but I do believe Adelphi is a good school, just not for someone like me. Wed, 19 Dec 2018 04:58:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Adelphi for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html This school is not worth your money. It is either greek life or athlete. If neither you are a nobody. Get used to the fact they the athletes will call you NARPS (non athletic regular person) on a d... Thu, 21 Dec 2017 12:52:14 GMT StudentsReview 912-182276 912-182276 912 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 1921 1st Year Negative This school is not worth your money. It is either greek life or athlete. If neither you are a nobody. Get used to the fact they the athletes will call you NARPS (non athletic regular person) on a daily basis. No wonder nobody shows up to any athletic events, because they treat their "supporters" like dirt. There is no social life at Adelphi. Expect to spend your weekends doing nothing. You could walk through campus on a weekend and only see three people. I came to college with such high expectations, only to be let down. Any party you go to the cops always get called. it is just like a high school but instead of taking your classes in one building you have to walk outside class to class. I wish I never went here. complete waste of my time and money. Thu, 21 Dec 2017 12:52:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about Adelphi for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html I really enjoyed my time as a student at Adelphi. As someone who transferred from another university after having a miserable experience, I can easily say that Adelphi totally changed my views on coll... Thu, 15 Dec 2016 05:06:28 GMT StudentsReview 912-177440 912-177440 912 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2016 4th Year Positive I really enjoyed my time as a student at Adelphi. As someone who transferred from another university after having a miserable experience, I can easily say that Adelphi totally changed my views on college.

I primarily worked with the Communications and English departments. I found that professors in both departments were very accommodating. A majority were always willing to make time for you and were pleasant both in and out of class. I was especially impressed with the English department. I was actually an English minor, but they treated me no differently than one of their majors. They were always willing to sign any papers I needed to get a seat in a class marked for "majors only" and really worked with me to make sure I was growing as a writer and expressing the thoughts I wanted to. This treatment was really awesome and my appreciation for that particular department will never be forgotten.

As far as classes were concerned, I felt challenged enough during my time here. It was good because I was definitely learning, but I was never confused or felt overwhelmed. It was just the right amount of challenging for me, which really helped me adjust to college. I had my fair share of work (which you should in college) but never to the point where I felt like I was drowning in it.

Campus is actually pretty bustling. There are lots of events during the week at all different times of the day. They give out a lot of free food, shirts, and other items, which is cool. Just be aware that Adelphi does not have a "common hour" like some schools do, so you might have class during certain events. Also, Adelphi is primarily a commuter school, so the weekends tend to be a lot quieter.

Aside from events on campus, there are tons of opportunities to get involved on campus. There are so many clubs and organizations, and plenty of opportunities to find employment on campus. I held a few jobs on campus and all of my co-workers, whether they were students or actual faculty members, were always very friendly and great to work with. Greek Life is a fairly big presence on Adelphi's campus. You don't have to join one to get involved, but it does open up a lot of other doors for you if you're not quite sure where to start. There are no houses, and the chapters are smaller than what you'd find at a larger university, so for the most part it tends to be less stereotypical than what you might think of sororities and fraternities.

The one thing I do wish Adelphi had was a bit more school spirit. They are Division II, and a lot of the sports teams are actually very good and have impressive records. Unfortunately, the students just don't seem really into it. Midnight Madness (the school's pep really) is usually pretty packed, but the games themselves aren't. The coaches themselves are very personable and go out of their way to make connections with all students, not just their own athletes. I was in no way an athlete and had many pleasant conversations with several of the varsity coaches. They are always looking to help out other student organizations on campus, which is very kind. Them reaching out has helped to improve attendance at athletic events, particularly basketball, but there is always room for improvements.

Overall, Adelphi is a pretty great school. Of course there are some things they need to work on (being more proactive about students' suggestions and parking issues would be my two biggest complaints) but overall I loved the school and felt like it was a great investment for my future.
Thu, 15 Dec 2016 05:06:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about Adelphi for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html This university is not diverse at all. Everyone is basically Italian or Greek and the class room discussions about race are basically one sided. There is barely any representation for those who are no... Thu, 01 Sep 2016 02:19:03 GMT StudentsReview 912-175359 912-175359 912 3 Architecture Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice This university is not diverse at all. Everyone is basically Italian or Greek and the class room discussions about race are basically one sided. There is barely any representation for those who are not white students. I have yet to see a professor that is not white. Thu, 01 Sep 2016 02:19:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Adelphi for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html The school is useless. I went here in hopes of learning all that I could to better my life for with a good career. I got A's and B's in all my classes. It's been 4 years now and i'm jobless.... Mon, 18 Jul 2016 02:00:59 GMT StudentsReview 912-174435 912-174435 912 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2012 4th Year Negative The school is useless. I went here in hopes of learning all that I could to better my life for with a good career. I got A's and B's in all my classes. It's been 4 years now and i'm jobless. Mon, 18 Jul 2016 02:00:59 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html