StudentsReview - Adelphi University - Life at Adelphi Copyright 2017 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html Life at Adelphi - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about Adelphi for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html I really enjoyed my time as a student at Adelphi. As someone who transferred from another university after having a miserable experience, I can easily say that Adelphi totally changed my views on coll... Thu, 15 Dec 2016 05:06:28 GMT StudentsReview 912-177440 912-177440 912 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2016 4th Year Positive I really enjoyed my time as a student at Adelphi. As someone who transferred from another university after having a miserable experience, I can easily say that Adelphi totally changed my views on college.

I primarily worked with the Communications and English departments. I found that professors in both departments were very accommodating. A majority were always willing to make time for you and were pleasant both in and out of class. I was especially impressed with the English department. I was actually an English minor, but they treated me no differently than one of their majors. They were always willing to sign any papers I needed to get a seat in a class marked for "majors only" and really worked with me to make sure I was growing as a writer and expressing the thoughts I wanted to. This treatment was really awesome and my appreciation for that particular department will never be forgotten.

As far as classes were concerned, I felt challenged enough during my time here. It was good because I was definitely learning, but I was never confused or felt overwhelmed. It was just the right amount of challenging for me, which really helped me adjust to college. I had my fair share of work (which you should in college) but never to the point where I felt like I was drowning in it.

Campus is actually pretty bustling. There are lots of events during the week at all different times of the day. They give out a lot of free food, shirts, and other items, which is cool. Just be aware that Adelphi does not have a "common hour" like some schools do, so you might have class during certain events. Also, Adelphi is primarily a commuter school, so the weekends tend to be a lot quieter.

Aside from events on campus, there are tons of opportunities to get involved on campus. There are so many clubs and organizations, and plenty of opportunities to find employment on campus. I held a few jobs on campus and all of my co-workers, whether they were students or actual faculty members, were always very friendly and great to work with. Greek Life is a fairly big presence on Adelphi's campus. You don't have to join one to get involved, but it does open up a lot of other doors for you if you're not quite sure where to start. There are no houses, and the chapters are smaller than what you'd find at a larger university, so for the most part it tends to be less stereotypical than what you might think of sororities and fraternities.

The one thing I do wish Adelphi had was a bit more school spirit. They are Division II, and a lot of the sports teams are actually very good and have impressive records. Unfortunately, the students just don't seem really into it. Midnight Madness (the school's pep really) is usually pretty packed, but the games themselves aren't. The coaches themselves are very personable and go out of their way to make connections with all students, not just their own athletes. I was in no way an athlete and had many pleasant conversations with several of the varsity coaches. They are always looking to help out other student organizations on campus, which is very kind. Them reaching out has helped to improve attendance at athletic events, particularly basketball, but there is always room for improvements.

Overall, Adelphi is a pretty great school. Of course there are some things they need to work on (being more proactive about students' suggestions and parking issues would be my two biggest complaints) but overall I loved the school and felt like it was a great investment for my future.
Thu, 15 Dec 2016 05:06:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about Adelphi for Architecturehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html This university is not diverse at all. Everyone is basically Italian or Greek and the class room discussions about race are basically one sided. There is barely any representation for those who are no... Thu, 01 Sep 2016 02:19:03 GMT StudentsReview 912-175359 912-175359 912 3 Architecture Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Advice This university is not diverse at all. Everyone is basically Italian or Greek and the class room discussions about race are basically one sided. There is barely any representation for those who are not white students. I have yet to see a professor that is not white. Thu, 01 Sep 2016 02:19:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Adelphi for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html The school is useless. I went here in hopes of learning all that I could to better my life for with a good career. I got A's and B's in all my classes. It's been 4 years now and i'm jobless.... Mon, 18 Jul 2016 02:00:59 GMT StudentsReview 912-174435 912-174435 912 12 Computer Science Male Undergraduate Class 2012 4th Year Negative The school is useless. I went here in hopes of learning all that I could to better my life for with a good career. I got A's and B's in all my classes. It's been 4 years now and i'm jobless. Mon, 18 Jul 2016 02:00:59 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Adelphi for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html When I first started attending Adelphi, I felt really comfortable with my decision. Over the next 2 years, I felt and believed I really learned a lot at the school and I was confident that my educatio... Thu, 31 Dec 2015 06:24:17 GMT StudentsReview 912-172231 912-172231 912 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2011 4th Year Negative When I first started attending Adelphi, I felt really comfortable with my decision. Over the next 2 years, I felt and believed I really learned a lot at the school and I was confident that my education would take me far after graduation. Prior to my senior year I attended a summer class at NYU. I felt I learned and gained more experience in a 4 week summer class at NYU than I did in 3 years at Adelphi. With only a few weeks before the start of school, I wanted to transfer. Not having enough time and having tuition, finical aid, classes chosen and everything ready. It would have been a big mess, so I decided to stick it out for my last year. I went though my last year very unconfident in my decision to attend Adelphi. I felt very removed and hardly participated in anything, and still received A's and B's in my classes. Since graduation over 4 years ago, I have not been able to get a job in my field. I am currently working as a receptionist(telemarketing) at a insurance company and as a waitress, and barely making ends meet. Both jobs don't require a degree. If I could, I would go back to school (somewhere else), but I don't have the time and could not afford it any longer, as bills need to get paid (Student Loans). I'm refraining to say which area of study I was in, because I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone or get anyone in possible trouble. I know some of the teacher are good and meant well but feel the school as a whole lacks in what they say they offer. Check around before you attend any school. Attend summer classes and get feedback from potential employers or job recruiters. Good luck to any future students, I hope you make a better decision than I did. Thu, 31 Dec 2015 06:24:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Adelphi for Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html The school appears to be nice, as far as surrounding, with a mix of old and new buildings. Parking is a mess. As far as academics, at first glance you may feel you made the right choice but do yoursel... Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:47:59 GMT StudentsReview 912-172230 912-172230 912 14 Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2009 3rd Year Negative The school appears to be nice, as far as surrounding, with a mix of old and new buildings. Parking is a mess. As far as academics, at first glance you may feel you made the right choice but do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. To be honest, anywhere else but Adelphi would be better. Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:47:59 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/ADU_comments.html