StudentsReview - Cornell University - Life at Cornellhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Life at Cornell - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about Cornell for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I'm a current engineering student at Cornell and I've had quite a horrible experience up to this point. The classes are not particularly challenging in the way they should be. Grade deflation is simpl... Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:25:01 GMT StudentsReview 940-103198 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-103198 940 24 Mechanical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I'm a current engineering student at Cornell and I've had quite a horrible experience up to this point. The classes are not particularly challenging in the way they should be. Grade deflation is simply HUGE and your GPA will look horrible compared to one you could receive at any other school. The prelims are so impossible to do well on no matter how hard you study and no matter how much you think you know and understand the material. Everyone around you is super competitive and only cares about him/herself. I felt extremely alone especially because I found it difficult to make any friends in my major. I was valedictorian in high school and now I would be considered at the lower end of my class. It was also extremely difficult to get involved around campus because everything you could do you had to try out for and had to be a superstar. The only way to a social life is through the greek system which is completely centered around money, where you live, and who you know. The system is quite horrible. I personally had a very bad experience with the people I met at Cornell although many people did not share the same problem. Sports are a joke and the weather sucks. I'm sorry but I don't have much positive to say. Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:25:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about Cornell for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I was a double major - Math and Computer Science, and the two departments measured in terms of faculty and students, were very different. The Math department seems very relaxed and while some students... Sun, 26 Jan 2014 02:24:05 GMT StudentsReview 940-100666 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-100666 940 24 Mechanical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2001 3rd Year Positive I was a double major - Math and Computer Science, and the two departments measured in terms of faculty and students, were very different. The Math department seems very relaxed and while some students may come across as... eccentric, most are friendly. My advisor was incredibly accessible. I could pop in to discuss any questions/issues I may have with him anytime. The Computer Science department was a bit more intense. My advisor had not gotten tenure and came across as very high-strung.

What I did like about the school was the seemingly endless options. Where else can you take a class to learn how to milk a cow and a wine-tasting class? While the central campus is frequently bustling, you can always find a quiet spot to study and unwind. There was an extensive selection of housing and dining options. Also, the campus is absolutely gorgeous.
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 02:24:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Cornell for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I came here from a state school hoping to escape closet racism, anti-intellectualism, and overall apathy. I have found all of those aspects here at Cornell. If you aren't hearing about "how f*cked" so... Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:45:38 GMT StudentsReview 940-96768 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-96768 940 6 Biology Male Undergraduate Class 2015 1st Year Negative I came here from a state school hoping to escape closet racism, anti-intellectualism, and overall apathy. I have found all of those aspects here at Cornell. If you aren't hearing about "how f*cked" someone is for their upcoming "prelim" (a snooty word that Cornell loves to use instead of the word "test") because they "totally didn't study at all and will completely fail, lol!", then that might be because you are instead overhearing some guys talk about how they snuck into a crowded frat party and stole 2 beers from their cooler.

People here think they're the shit because they are better at playing the admissions game than students at other schools but I haven't really seen any glaring differences between my peers at my state school and here.

Academically - I am only taking 12 credits and am just as busy as I was when I was taking 15. I do think its a little more rigorous here and I guess that's why the degree carries such weight. Unfortunately about a third of what I'm doing is busywork that is harshly graded by nitpicky TA's who would much rather be doing their own research rather than grading students' hastily scribbled worksheets.

I don't know what I expected coming here from my old school. College is college... do your 4 years and get out.
Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:45:38 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Cornell for Biologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I am a premed in Arts and Sciences, and I hate this damned school. If I could pick schools again, I would pick Princeton over this place. If you are premed, do not come here. Every other person is pre... Sun, 29 Sep 2013 03:23:29 GMT StudentsReview 940-96189 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-96189 940 6 Biology Female Undergraduate Class 2015 3rd Year Negative I am a premed in Arts and Sciences, and I hate this damned school. If I could pick schools again, I would pick Princeton over this place. If you are premed, do not come here. Every other person is premed or engineer, and the classes are so poorly organized that in the core science subjects (orgo and gen chem), you will be ranked against engineers and perform miserably. My parents are paying $80,000 for me to take the same classes that the CALS and HEC students take. The faculty are extremely arrogant and feel as if students who actually come to their office hours put them in a huge imposition. I feel as if I am ruining my chances to get into medical school because Cornell works against its students. Everyone is competing against the other person and no true learning takes place in this rat race. The professors are too involved with their dead end research to give two cents about their students, and everyone is walking around the campus ready to jump off the bridge (they even installed bloody metal nets to catch any jumpers). DO NOT COME HERE FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN ENGINEERING. Cornell is a school that is only good for engineering, just be sure to be able to handle the pressure. Sun, 29 Sep 2013 03:23:29 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html StudentsReview: Positive Review about Cornell for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Love Cornell! Great school, though challenging. Cornell shines above the other Ivy League Universities because of its acclaimed research programs and down to earth attitudes.... Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:08:30 GMT StudentsReview 940-96148 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-96148 940 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Positive Love Cornell! Great school, though challenging. Cornell shines above the other Ivy League Universities because of its acclaimed research programs and down to earth attitudes. Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:08:30 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html