StudentsReview - Cornell University - Life at Cornell Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Life at Cornell - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about Cornell for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I chose Cornell over my state college because of its prestige in CS. Boy did I make the biggest mistake of my life. The program is so big, all the grading is done by TA's who often mess up and will gi... Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:55:31 GMT StudentsReview 940-174790 940-174790 940 12 Computer Science Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Negative I chose Cornell over my state college because of its prestige in CS. Boy did I make the biggest mistake of my life. The program is so big, all the grading is done by TA's who often mess up and will give you 0's when you should have gotten full points on a particular question (happened to me on multiple occasions. I learned first semester that it is really up to you to make sure you get the grade you deserve.
Furthermore, the social life here sucks. I made the biggest mistake of not joining a sorority since I'm not that in to drinking. However, all the clubs here seem either too big, or too exclusive. If you're not extremely talented at anything besides myself, it is near impossible to get into a club.
Lastly, this school is cold and depressing and in the middle of nowhere. Everyone says Ithaca is poppin' but downtown Ithaca has almost nothing to do. If you are from the city as I am, make sure that you are prepared for this transition. I am finding every day that it is not one that I was prepared for. The one thing I was banking on was its lush environment for hiking, rock climbing and such. However, it turns out you can't even count on that, since Ithaca has had a drought for 5 months.

I will say that Cornell has really helped my career though. I was able to get multiple job offers as a freshman at top companies. Nonetheless, I constantly question myself if another 3 years of this depressing bullshit is worth it or not.
Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:55:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Cornell for Engineering Departmenthttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Cornell is tough. Even tougher for engineering students. There will be days you feel like your the stupidest kid in the program, and you'll wonder if you belong with everyone else. But then you rememb... Thu, 24 Dec 2015 06:28:18 GMT StudentsReview 940-172190 940-172190 940 61 Engineering Department Female Undergraduate Class 2019 1st Year Neutral Cornell is tough. Even tougher for engineering students. There will be days you feel like your the stupidest kid in the program, and you'll wonder if you belong with everyone else. But then you remember that your experience at Cornell shouldn't be shaped by your performance relative to everyone else. Rather, your experience there should be shaped by how much you've saturated yourself in the learning environment. There is no better place to expose yourself to all sorts of knowledge than Cornell. There is no better place to meet so many brilliant people in one concentrated area. Everything you learn here really makes you a different person. Thu, 24 Dec 2015 06:28:18 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Cornell for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Cornell is *THE* most overrated school is America. The Greek scene as well as the lack of off campus entertainment here makes it much less about school and much more about who's who. The classes are ... Sun, 25 Oct 2015 12:27:23 GMT StudentsReview 940-171519 940-171519 940 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Negative Cornell is *THE* most overrated school is America. The Greek scene as well as the lack of off campus entertainment here makes it much less about school and much more about who's who. The classes are a joke- this place is basically an extremely nice looking state school with mediocre academics. Those who complain that the classes are too hard do so because they spend to much time getting smashed Wednesday to Sunday. The students are uninspiring and rely on the Cornell network to become successful, not on their own initiative and hard work. Sun, 25 Oct 2015 12:27:23 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about Cornell for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Fantastic academics (in generally), but very self absorbed student body. For the most part professors are genuinely interested in teaching the students and are approachable for help. Some are arrogant... Sat, 09 May 2015 04:04:09 GMT StudentsReview 940-161319 940-161319 940 24 Mechanical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Neutral Fantastic academics (in generally), but very self absorbed student body. For the most part professors are genuinely interested in teaching the students and are approachable for help. Some are arrogant and snobby but it happens at every university. Engineering classes actually teach value material and assignments improve your engineering skills. Lots of extracurricular activities. The workload can be extremely rough sometimes, but as long as you do your work and study it's actually not that hard to do well.

The biggest problem is the student body. Yes, this is a party school. Some people actually care about their academics at a school that costs 60k+ per year. But too many seem to be more preoccupied with getting drunk/high on weekends because it's the cool thing to do. Kids like to joke that "you aren't an alcoholic until you graduate" and I know several people who are legitimate alcoholics here. People love to talk about how they're ****ed for final exams because they didn't study (ha ha, failing is fun apparently) instead of buckling down and actually doing legitimate work. A surprising number of students abuse adderall probably less to focus on work and more to fit in with the ridiculous school culture. And since it's an Ivy League, half the students wear $1000 coats in the winter (I'm not joking) and love to judge everyone elses' fashion and appearance.

TL;DR: I went to Cornell expecting great academics and an intelligent student body. I got one of those things. Probably the most important thing I've learned spending a year here is that people who get high SAT scores are not necessarily intelligent in any way.
Sat, 09 May 2015 04:04:09 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Cornell for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I remember reading the comments about Cornell some time ago, after I got accepted. I remember reading a lot of negative, cut-throat comments. NOT TRUE! All I can say is that Cornell is the best thing ... Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:26:35 GMT StudentsReview 940-155678 940-155678 940 24 Mechanical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive I remember reading the comments about Cornell some time ago, after I got accepted. I remember reading a lot of negative, cut-throat comments. NOT TRUE! All I can say is that Cornell is the best thing that happened to me in a while... I would never change it to Harvard or any other you-name-it-school.

If you ask me, the party scene is big. Maybe it is just me and the people I have met? I don't know. However, I consider myself a social person, I drink, have fun, enjoy opposite sex' company. I never thought it would be that good... Things just WORK thats all I can say.

The campus is gorgeous. I've drove through the whole US, traveled to 15 countries in Europe (in fact I was raised in Europe), and without hesitation I can say this is a beautiful place to live! Every time I walk through campus I'm amazed I'm here...

Studying engineering... Academics are amazing, professors very approachable. Yes, you will have to pull a significant amount of all nighters but its really all up to you! I really cant help myself and not go out on weekends and I'm still able to pull ~3.4.

If you're hesitating... don't! Visit the campus now and say yes! Peace out...
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:26:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html