StudentsReview - Cornell University - Life at Cornellhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Life at Cornell - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about Cornell for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I remember reading the comments about Cornell some time ago, after I got accepted. I remember reading a lot of negative, cut-throat comments. NOT TRUE! All I can say is that Cornell is the best thing ... Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:26:35 GMT StudentsReview 940-155678 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-155678 940 24 Mechanical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2017 2nd Year Positive I remember reading the comments about Cornell some time ago, after I got accepted. I remember reading a lot of negative, cut-throat comments. NOT TRUE! All I can say is that Cornell is the best thing that happened to me in a while... I would never change it to Harvard or any other you-name-it-school.

If you ask me, the party scene is big. Maybe it is just me and the people I have met? I don't know. However, I consider myself a social person, I drink, have fun, enjoy opposite sex' company. I never thought it would be that good... Things just WORK thats all I can say.

The campus is gorgeous. I've drove through the whole US, traveled to 15 countries in Europe (in fact I was raised in Europe), and without hesitation I can say this is a beautiful place to live! Every time I walk through campus I'm amazed I'm here...

Studying engineering... Academics are amazing, professors very approachable. Yes, you will have to pull a significant amount of all nighters but its really all up to you! I really cant help myself and not go out on weekends and I'm still able to pull ~3.4.

If you're hesitating... don't! Visit the campus now and say yes! Peace out...
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:26:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Cornell for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Academics: There is a wide offering of classes at Cornell, which sticks true to the motto of "Any person, any study". However, in reality, it can be difficult to take classes across colleges because e... Wed, 24 Dec 2014 12:39:34 GMT StudentsReview 940-155550 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-155550 940 7 Business - Management and Administration Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Negative Academics: There is a wide offering of classes at Cornell, which sticks true to the motto of "Any person, any study". However, in reality, it can be difficult to take classes across colleges because each college has its own requirements and one can only have so many classes before one is overloaded with work.

Speaking of which, the work itself is generally tedious busywork with little value. There are some interesting and useful classes but that isn't the norm, as most professors (not lecturers) are more interested in their research and would rather not teach. Lectures tend to be poor indicators of the real difficulties of exams, which often contain material and questions one does not expect. Grade deflation exists in varying degrees throughout the departments.

Because of the nature of academics, people are often overworked and stressed. There is also a severe element of competition and cutthroat behavior that exists among the students. I can only speak for the AEM major, in which people were constantly rushing for networking opportunities and internships. However, I have known engineers and pre-meds who have had to deal with some nasty competition as well. It's a very venomous environment unfortunately.

Cornell may be an Ivy League school, but like any educational institution, it won't make you smarter. The great students were already great before they ever set foot on the campus. Intellectualism among the student body isn't all that common here, and many people simply want to pad their GPA's and resumes before moving on to jobs/grad school.

Financial aid: Quite good for families not making too far above $100,000 in income (assuming nothing else) annually. There is no merit-based aid and much of it comes from grants thanks to Cornell's large endowment.

Atmosphere: Cornell is a beautiful campus in the small town of Ithaca. However, Ithaca really isn't that great of a city, though not nearly as bad as some places in upstate NY (Binghamton and Albany for example). It's tricky to get anywhere in town without a personal vehicle even with the TCAT buses. And don't even think about going to cities not named New York without a personal vehicle (unless you want to deal with infrequent bus rides and long waiting times). This is not very surprisingly in a place that's effectively in the middle of nowhere; and the campus does empty during breaks for a reason.

There is certainly some feeling of tension between some of the local residents and Cornell. Many of the students come from fairly well-off backgrounds, and the school may as well be the only world to them. Of course, Ithaca would be much worse off economically without Cornell, even if the university's administration is a bit heavy-handed in some regards.

Social life: Cornell is not a very friendly place. Putting aside the erratic weather, which many people like to cite, the students certainly don't contribute to improving the vibe too much. I found other students to be astonishingly insular as I went through my undergrad years. People were very unwilling to branch-out into new things and interact with people they did not know, which contributed to a cold atmosphere. It seems that beyond Orientation Week, no one is willing to meet others outside of their floor, fraternity, club, sorority, or whatever segment you want to think of. It is what it is, but the result was evident.

That being said, if you do not drink or go out, there really is not much to do in terms of social life outside of school-sponsored activities, and you should just skip the next three paragraphs. Unless you have a way to get around Ithaca or into nearby cities, good luck trying to do anything not involving Cornell.

If you do go out, you'll be disappointed to know that the social scene has actually gotten worse in recent years. Cornell's social scene has long revolved around the 40 or so fraternities that populate the campus. That scene used to be much more open before the university started to tighten its rules after a string of incidents a few years ago. At this time, it really helps to know the right people, as much as I hate to say that.

Outside of Greek Life, there are limited house parties, but once again, you need to know the right people. Collegetown has a limited number of bars, and there are a few places in the Commons as well. All of them are 21-and-over, so unless you have a way of getting around that, good luck.

Drinking is a pretty common activity at the school, if you haven't guessed. This results from the culmination of academic stress and a lack of activity around the campus. That being said, people who go out do so mainly to be seen or to simply get drunk. Don't expect to really connect with anybody on a night out, although it does happen sometimes.

I'll end this part with a small mention of athletics. It's not really a major social activity at the school, although lacrosse, wrestling, and both ice hockey teams have been consistently respectable or good. Men's hockey in particular has had quite a incredible atmosphere for a long time. I will say, though, that student attendance has been diminishing; and it's not really all that surprising given the apathy of many students anyway. I'm not so sure many of them could even follow a normal game to be honest.

Post-graduate prospects: Cornell has many career resources, and being an school with the big Ivy League name, it attracts many recruiters. This all sounds nice and dandy, but that's all there is to it. Guidance does not exist and the setup as it is now only favors people who have a great idea what they want to do after graduating. These people are partially responsible for the ultracompetitive atmosphere, but putting that aside, I'm going to leave you with the biggest piece of advice in this review. If you remember anything, let it be the following.

Know what you want and get the proper internship experience while still a student.

Once you graduate, employers won't even bat at eye if you're unemployed. Many students receive their job offers while they are still students, and that's not very surprisingly since it fits into a company's recruiting imperative. They really can't be bothered to not collaborate with the school in picking up recruits, even if there's little difference between a senior and a degree holder 3 months out.

Like any degree, a Cornell degree is inherently worthless and won't help you very much if you're unemployed. It doesn't hold up the networks and experience. I made the mistake of caring too much about my education and being too uncertain about a career. Don't let that be you.
Wed, 24 Dec 2014 12:39:34 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Cornell for Computer Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html The best!!! Starting my second year. Cornell is the perfect University in terms of academics, friends, campus, professors, social scene, etc. Came here over Columbia and Dartmouth (and UVA, I'm fro... Mon, 08 Sep 2014 05:16:35 GMT StudentsReview 940-126314 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-126314 940 12 Computer Science Female Undergraduate Class 2018 2nd Year Positive The best!!!
Starting my second year. Cornell is the perfect University in terms of academics, friends, campus, professors, social scene, etc. Came here over Columbia and Dartmouth (and UVA, I'm from Virginia) and it was definitely the right decision. A lot of work, but it is manageable. Beautiful dorms. Great food. Amazing job opportunities. I am already being contacted about very well paid summer internships.
Mon, 08 Sep 2014 05:16:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about Cornell for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html Cornell will definitely push you harder than you ever have been, but that's what you come to college for. Your experience here depends on how you take the challenges you are faced with. You can eith... Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:21:08 GMT StudentsReview 940-111286 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-111286 940 24 Mechanical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Cornell will definitely push you harder than you ever have been, but that's what you come to college for. Your experience here depends on how you take the challenges you are faced with. You can either sit down and whine about it (like it seems like quite a few people on here have done) or take some initiative and push through it. Hardest part for me was the multitude of distractions that would be much more fun to do than sitting down and studying (which isn't necessarily bad, would rather have options than nothing else to do). My advice: find a solid group of friends you can study with (very hard to do well without some help, so find that help. It's not as hard to come by as other people make it out to be. Also friends can really come in handy when you need the answers to the practice test that the teacher never released but your friend somehow got a hold of it), do your work (don't skip an assignment because the homework is only worth 5% of your overall grade, doing the homework directly correlates to doing better on the test, you can't argue with that), and just try things (you're not going to be the best, but not to be too cliched you can't succeed if you don't try. Also you'll be 10x happier doing things besides just schoolwork). Most importantly, don't freak out, you'll do fine. It's just a school not the dungeon of torture some people make it out to be. In my opinion Cornell was probably the best thing for me in my entire life. Not only has it been a blast, but it shows you what the real world will be like. I can tell once I graduate life will be much easier because I'll be ready. Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:21:08 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about Cornell for Mechanical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html I'm a current engineering student at Cornell and I've had quite a horrible experience up to this point. The classes are not particularly challenging in the way they should be. Grade deflation is simpl... Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:25:01 GMT StudentsReview 940-103198 Copyright 2015 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 940-103198 940 24 Mechanical Engineering Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Negative I'm a current engineering student at Cornell and I've had quite a horrible experience up to this point. The classes are not particularly challenging in the way they should be. Grade deflation is simply HUGE and your GPA will look horrible compared to one you could receive at any other school. The prelims are so impossible to do well on no matter how hard you study and no matter how much you think you know and understand the material. Everyone around you is super competitive and only cares about him/herself. I felt extremely alone especially because I found it difficult to make any friends in my major. I was valedictorian in high school and now I would be considered at the lower end of my class. It was also extremely difficult to get involved around campus because everything you could do you had to try out for and had to be a superstar. The only way to a social life is through the greek system which is completely centered around money, where you live, and who you know. The system is quite horrible. I personally had a very bad experience with the people I met at Cornell although many people did not share the same problem. Sports are a joke and the weather sucks. I'm sorry but I don't have much positive to say. Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:25:01 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CORU_comments.html