StudentsReview - Hofstra University - Life at Hofstra Copyright 2024 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html Life at Hofstra - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about Hofstra for Business - Management and Administrationhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html My problems with Hofstra started on day one and never ended in the 1.5 semesters I was there. I'm sorry I ever applied. I tell everyone I can to stay far away from this poor excuse for an academic ins... Tue, 18 Feb 2020 08:15:19 GMT StudentsReview 951-185990 951-185990 951 7 Business - Management and Administration Female Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Negative My problems with Hofstra started on day one and never ended in the 1.5 semesters I was there. I'm sorry I ever applied. I tell everyone I can to stay far away from this poor excuse for an academic institution. Heed my warning and save yourself the headache and frustration.

Hofstra and Zarb have a knack for providing false information or promises. Don't take anything they say during the open house at face value. I was told I'd be able to do an independent study during my interview, and when the time came, they refused and didn't give any reason. They also advertised 10 elective classes on the website, but last semester they only offered one.

Most of my professors were incapable of conveying the material in a meaningful or digestible way, and some never made eye contact with the class throughout the whole semester. six of the ten classes in my program were a complete waste of time.

If you have any complaints or want to vouch for your right to a decent education, the dean and department chairs will either ignore you or talk down to you until they think you will give up. I had an associate dean laugh in my face when I told him I wanted a better education. Use that information as you will.

Finally, incompetence must be a job requirement for all Hofstra employees. Most faculty and administration either talk down to you, tell you they'll do something or follow up with you and don't, or ignore your emails and phone calls completely. I've seen this behavior from Zarb, financial aid, housing, registrar, and HR. You would think that at least financial aid would be more careful since they're dealing with people's money. Nope. I had to watch them like a hawk and correct their same mistakes over and over again.

The area is also very unsafe. The first week of my first semester there were TWO reported gun-point break-ins and robberies on campus. Just visit Hempstead and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Tue, 18 Feb 2020 08:15:19 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about Hofstra for PreMed and Medicalhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html The pre-medical courses at Hofstra will actually teach you to study rigorously. However, you will see no reward. The professors, especially those in the biology departments are extremely condescending... Fri, 03 May 2019 05:27:28 GMT StudentsReview 951-184660 951-184660 951 36 PreMed and Medical Male Undergraduate Class 1921 2nd Year Advice The pre-medical courses at Hofstra will actually teach you to study rigorously. However, you will see no reward. The professors, especially those in the biology departments are extremely condescending and arrogant. Theyw ill make you feel like nothing and will only help students they like-regardless of how smart you are.

Biology Department: My biology department GPA is a 3.3 however it should be at least a 3.5. A certain professor only gave one kid an A in the past three years and is on probation, however the school does not do anything about her, and she is horrible. I have brought countless labs to her before the due date and she simply reads it and says "your good, just fix A, B, and C". Once you fix it she will still give you a C. A different professor screwed me over due to political beliefs THAT SHE ASKED THE CLASS CONSTANTLY (against school code and completely irrelevant to biology) and would complain every single day. Go to Gittleson Hall if you are interested in Hofstra. It's the Bio building. The wall has a photo of all 15 students that graduated from the department last year! Over 200 students come into the major, and the professors pride themselves on failing these students, thinking the students do poorly because biology is "such a hard subject". It's not. The professors make it hard to boost their egos. Not everyone fails out of the major, many switch because they can't stand the department. Also curving is not allowed in the department, even though some professors curve, making it unfair if you have a professor that doesn't.

Chemistry: Professors teach pretty well and grade very fairly, unlike the biology department. Most are decent teachers, however, some are arrogant. I went to on professors office hours and he ignored everything I asked, and turned the page in his newspaper. Regardless, he curved well and taught well. Just don't expect to get help.

Tutoring: non-existant. They have about 4 hours a week in each subject and it is group tutoring. There can be fifty students that show up and they'll only have four tutors, which won't help at all.

Liberal Arts: Honestly can be ridiculously easy depending on professor. Easy "A" in many of these classes if you get the right professor. If you actually want to learn this school is a waste of time in the liberal arts because some professors make their classes just too easy and you won't learn. However, if yu care about a good liberal arts and gen-ed GPA you will certainly get "A"'s if you apply the study habits of a Science student.

Social Life: Great if you join Greeklife

Advising: many advisors don't know what they're talking about and will make you take the wrong classes. Many believe it is a tactic to make people take longer to graduate to generate more money for the school. Don't go to advisors they will only harm you and they rarely ever send out research opportunity emails or anything pre-professional related.

Another piece of advice, if your a late night study this school is not conducive for your habits. The hammer lab is open 24/7 however once the library closes (at 8PM on Friday and Saturday, and Mon-Fri it closes at 12 and the bottom three floors remain open until 2:00) half the school will be in the small hammer lab. People will distract you and you are grunted to run into friends their. School is very controlling in terms of clubs. Ive been on three ebaords and its hard to do much with school approval. Good for building resumes in terms of extracirricular-tough to truly develop yourself as a leader. Almost everyone I know at this school has considered transferring at one point or another, few people are happy with it. If you are majoring in business or communications you will enjoy this school, those departments are well-connected and the professors give little busy-work. Other than that, don't waste your time. You'll see why. Also food isn't great and it's over prices, but there are good places nearby.

Also if you are a Hofstra pre-health, don't change your major if you really want to succeed. Change your school, or prevent the problem before it happens, you'll lose a lot of money, but keep working hard and you will someday achieve your goals.
Fri, 03 May 2019 05:27:28 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about Hofstra for Music - Performancehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html I would highly recommend going to another college. I am a 1st year music major, and this college makes me think I'm trash, both from students and professors. Sure, there are some exceptions, but even ... Wed, 01 May 2019 12:07:48 GMT StudentsReview 951-184629 951-184629 951 26 Music - Performance Male Undergraduate Class 1922 1st Year Negative I would highly recommend going to another college. I am a 1st year music major, and this college makes me think I'm trash, both from students and professors. Sure, there are some exceptions, but even the students and professors who are nice aren't the best people in the world. In general, if you're going to be a student here, assume about 90% of the students and professors are against your favor, because they are. My advice to any incoming freshman is to look for a real college that knows how to make you think you matter to them, but this isn't that type of environment. Wed, 01 May 2019 12:07:48 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about Hofstra for Anthropologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html I was assaulted by a student athlete. I went for help. The administration told me it was my fault and that it was consensual. That's total BS and I am leaving this horrible place. They protect athle... Wed, 23 May 2018 01:13:58 GMT StudentsReview 951-183250 951-183250 951 42 Anthropology Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Advice I was assaulted by a student athlete. I went for help. The administration told me it was my fault and that it was consensual. That's total BS and I am leaving this horrible place. They protect athletes and don't give a hoot about their other students. I would not recommend this place to any female student. Wed, 23 May 2018 01:13:58 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about Hofstra for Unknownhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html If you are attending Hofstra for the first time get out. All they care about is failing their students, which leads to debt .... loans and more loans if you can get into a cuny two year school then fi... Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:17:25 GMT StudentsReview 951-180640 951-180640 951 0 Unknown Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Advice If you are attending Hofstra for the first time get out. All they care about is failing their students, which leads to debt .... loans and more loans if you can get into a cuny two year school then find a four year college that is less for your pocket and professors that enjoy your values and views Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:17:25 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/HU_comments.html