StudentsReview - New York University - Life at NYUhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html Life at NYU - Comments en StudentsReview: Positive Review about NYU for Neuroscience/Cognitive Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html Coming from a small, homogenous suburb outside of Boston, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I decided to go to NYC for college. Of course, I had visited NYU a couple of times to make s... Tue, 27 May 2014 06:00:32 GMT StudentsReview 974-109603 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 974-109603 974 69 Neuroscience/Cognitive Science Male Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive Coming from a small, homogenous suburb outside of Boston, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I decided to go to NYC for college. Of course, I had visited NYU a couple of times to make sure that I was making the right decision, but you don't really know a school's experience until you've lived it.

Going to NYU feels like you live in New York and your day job is being a student. No closed-off campus or gates separate you from the surrounding city, for better or for worse, and it's up to you to determine your level of success both academically and socially. This school certainly does not hold your hand in any endeavor, and while I found this to be mildly terrifying at first (as most students do), I now could not imagine being at a school that coddles you and guides you through your college experience. I've changed more in my past year here than in my four years of high school, and a lot of my friends that went to more 'traditional' schools have largely remained the same. Going to NYU forces you to find yourself and to grow up, and no other school prepares you better for the real world.

There are two main complaints I hear about this school - its lack of social scene and the cost. I get that NYU is expensive. Its cost is not a secret, and to be blunt, if you can't or don't want to pay for it, there are ten other kids that would love your spot. NYC has one of the highest costs of living of anywhere in the US, and it's a personal choice as to whether or not it's worth it. Nowhere else can you network, gain real life experience, and get ahead of the game as you can in New York, so it's worth it to me. As for the social scene, it is what you make of it. I've found a bunch of great friends by joining Greek life, as well as in my classes and in clubs. If you're a halfway social person, you should be fine so long as you seek out what you're interested in. I would recommend getting a fake ID, as they make socializing and going out easier and it's not hard to find someone who has a connection. Most freshmen are in dorms their first year, and this is another great place to meet people. Study abroad is also an excellent option. Meeting people isn't hard, you just have to put in the effort to make friends. The kids here aren't unfriendly, they're just busy, but everyone wants to make new friends. People that complain about this school either couldn't find a way to finance it (which is fair) or couldn't get out of their comfort zone enough to meet people and have awesome experiences, and that's mostly their fault. NYU is real life, and it is what you make of it.

As far as academics go, my experience has been pretty good. The intro classes have a lot of busy work as they're mostly weed-out classes, especially in the sciences. Get past these and you'll be golden - more advanced classes are interesting and the professors here are all very smart people that have awesome connections. I haven't encountered a professor that didn't want their students to succeed; the faculty here generally wants the students to succeed and holds enough office hours for their kids. I will say that doing well academically here requires you to study and do your work, but I've learned a lot in my past year here and I've also received pretty great grades.

Coming to NYU means giving up a traditional college experience. Many of my friends in college, as well as older people, have said that the college experience is overrated and that I'm not missing much - fine. Here, a nice, manicured, grassy campus is traded in for one of the greatest cities in the world. You'll learn how to live as an adult, how to have fun as an adult, and how to become an individual. It's a lot at first, so give it a full year before you decide on transferring. I'll be the first to admit that I hated my first semester here, but my second semester was the best three months of my life because I finally understood how to function in New York. I can't wait for my next three years here.
Tue, 27 May 2014 06:00:32 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about NYU for Communicationshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html I applied to the Liberal Studies Core program (and went to London my freshman year) and am now majoring in Media, Culture and Communications and minoring in Producing. I really love going here and hav... Wed, 09 Apr 2014 09:32:26 GMT StudentsReview 974-105727 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 974-105727 974 54 Communications Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Positive I applied to the Liberal Studies Core program (and went to London my freshman year) and am now majoring in Media, Culture and Communications and minoring in Producing. I really love going here and haven't had any big problems overall. The biggest drawback is obviously the amount of money it costs to go here, but if that's feasible for you, it's definitely a great school. Wed, 09 Apr 2014 09:32:26 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about NYU for Political Sciencehttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html transferring to NYU is the best decision I've ever made, here is my take on the good and the bad of NYU. GOOD: The professors are all brilliant and most of them are very friendly, the wassmerman cent... Sat, 18 Jan 2014 06:59:39 GMT StudentsReview 974-100308 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 974-100308 974 58 Political Science Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Neutral transferring to NYU is the best decision I've ever made, here is my take on the good and the bad of NYU.
GOOD: The professors are all brilliant and most of them are very friendly, the wassmerman center is a great place to find awesome internships in NYC (I've already had two really great ones), other students are friendly if you put yourself out there and make friends, NYC!!!!, so many clubs, good food, awesome study abroad opportunities
BAD: Financial aid can be horrible, most of the kids come from fairly wealthy families so coming in as someone with 100% financial need was difficult because I felt a little alienated, solving issues normally involved many telephone transfers to offices that cant help you, its easy to feel isolated so you have to make it known that you are looking for friends. I always say hi to people I see in the hallways of my building and make and effort to take to them and I am doing fine. On the other hand I know some other students that get upset because they feel like they don't have any friends. You really can't depend on other people, you gotta take care of yourself.

My advice would be, be yourself and meet all of the beautiful interesting people around you.
Get a job! nyc can eat your money very quickly
get an internship if you can
Sat, 18 Jan 2014 06:59:39 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Advice Review about NYU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html First off, before I get into any negativity, I love NYU. I really do. I moved here from California knowing no one - so had I decided to sulk in my homesickness, this school would have been very lonely... Sun, 06 Oct 2013 02:44:20 GMT StudentsReview 974-96336 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 974-96336 974 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2017 1st Year Advice First off, before I get into any negativity, I love NYU. I really do. I moved here from California knowing no one - so had I decided to sulk in my homesickness, this school would have been very lonely, indeed. We're all big kids now, no one is going to hold your hand and make sure that you're doing okay. YOU have to make effort. It is a bit of a downside and you will feel lost at first, but it's nothing that a little socializing can't fix. Secondly, I like to party and have fun on the weekends. So does just about everyone else here, the only problem is that parties in New York City are not the same as parties in a college town. They cost money and it all adds up quickly, unfortunately. Many nights I would get dressed up, ready to go to fun rooftop parties only to find they were a bust. Also, if you have your heart set on a campus with tons of school spirit and big sports and a nice traditional campus... this school may not be for you. There is no school spirit and there is no traditional campus BUT NYU still kicks ass. My biggest piece of advice is to get ready for serious competition. Remember how in high school there were those kids who weren't the brightest? Yeah, at NYU those kids don't exist. Everyone is talented and everyone is smart and if you're competitive academically, it can be SO intimidating. I've spent so much time doubting my intelligence and my ability to match up to the kids here...don't do that. If you get in, there's a reason. You can do it and you're just as good as anyone else. Sun, 06 Oct 2013 02:44:20 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about NYU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html I used this site when I chose NYU, so I wanted to contribute back now that I have graduated. Be open and try your best not to have preconceived notions. DONT worry if the first semester is rough, i... Sun, 18 Aug 2013 06:00:42 GMT StudentsReview 974-95372 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 974-95372 974 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 2013 4th Year Advice I used this site when I chose NYU, so I wanted to contribute back now that I have graduated.

Be open and try your best not to have preconceived notions. DONT worry if the first semester is rough, it takes awhile to get used to things. Have NYU pride, join clubs/greek life, and don't be afraid to break out of your shell. You will find NYU happiness, you will be stressed, you will be so busy you don't know what to do with yourself, but it will be awesome. The NYU Health and Wellness center is fantastic, do NOT be afraid to reach out to them. NYU will make you a better person and teach you life skills both in and out of the classroom. NYU students are some of the smartest most dedicated people in the world. You will absolutely LOVE some and absolutely HATE some of them. You can find literally any kind of person/club/group at NYU. I look back at my experience and I am astounded at all the wonderful/amazing/crazy things I managed to do. IF you DONT like your advisor, ask for a new one. You got to push to get the things you want from this school, whether that means patiently waiting on hold with financial aid, going to your teacher's office hours when you want to do better on the next paper or running for an NYU club exec board position. At NYU the squeaky wheel gets the oil, never forget that. Enjoy NYC, don't freak out too much. Study appropriate, not too little, but DONT LOCK YOURSELF IN BOBST FOR ETERNITY (except during midterms/finals). EXPERIENCE the city/internships/drunch/more.
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 06:00:42 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html