StudentsReview - New York University - Life at NYU Copyright 2018 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html Life at NYU - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about NYU for Perfomance Artshttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html NYU was pretty useless in terms of my professional career.... Fri, 29 Jun 2018 02:01:10 GMT StudentsReview 974-183352 974-183352 974 43 Perfomance Arts Male Undergraduate Alumnus Class 2000 Neutral NYU was pretty useless in terms of my professional career. Fri, 29 Jun 2018 02:01:10 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about NYU for History/Histories (art history/etc.)http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html My experience at NYU was a very positive one, in part because I knew what to expect from the university and the city, and because I was conscious of how NYU is different from smaller, more insular col... Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:33:05 GMT StudentsReview 974-182212 974-182212 974 41 History/Histories (art history/etc.) Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Advice My experience at NYU was a very positive one, in part because I knew what to expect from the university and the city, and because I was conscious of how NYU is different from smaller, more insular colleges. If you're looking for the close-knit, football-fraternity-rah-rah culture of a stereotypical American college, you won't find it at NYU. You need to make an effort to connect with people and find your own group. Some of the intro classes seem huge and impersonal, but as your classes get more advanced they also get smaller and more engaging. I've had classes that met in profs' apartments, in coffee shops and in the park. My advice to new students is to take full advantage of all the social resources: join clubs, attend plays and concerts, volunteer, and take every advantage of all the things to do in the coolest neighborhood of the greatest city in the world. Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:33:05 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about NYU for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html 1) BEWARE: IT IS VERY HARD TO MAKE FRIENDS HERE. From what I've seen and heard, social isolation is VERY common at NYU. There are A LOT of students who have loose/meaningless friendships and spend too... Sun, 03 Dec 2017 10:07:41 GMT StudentsReview 974-182133 974-182133 974 53 Other Male Undergraduate Class 2019 2nd Year Negative 1) BEWARE: IT IS VERY HARD TO MAKE FRIENDS HERE. From what I've seen and heard, social isolation is VERY common at NYU. There are A LOT of students who have loose/meaningless friendships and spend too much time in their rooms. If you want friends here, you have to WORK VERY HARD. You have to be a social machine in order to make some quality friendships. NOTE TO NYU: Why is the club fair for a school of 60,000 only open for 3 hours??? How am I supposed to get involved?? It's so crowded that you can't even get into it, all the elevators were stuck! Anyway, I found my self repeatedly going to the same clubs over and over to try and build connections, but people here are distracted by the friends they already have and their internships that nobody turns over a friendly hand. Very cold. The school is also sooo big, which makes it VERY difficult to find your people. Unless you're super extroverted, you will have a hard time here.
2) ACADEMICS ARE NOT THAT GREAT. At least not worth $70,000. The core classes I took in CAS were decent quality, but not worth the price. Some of the TA's were rude and unhelpful. The classes in my major in SPS were such low quality for a school that has such a reputation. Beware that NYU has a great name, but you don't realize the poor quality until you get inside. The problem with NYU is they are soooo big and just try and get as many attendees as possible to make $money$ off tuition. It's so big that they cannot manage quality. For example, the academic advisors here are unprofessional and unhelpful. Unacceptable for $70,000 a year! I have heard plenty of students complain about academic advisors not answering emails, missing deadlines, forgetting to do simple tasks. The issue is that NYU admits soo many students that they cannot provide quality academic advising. NYU is becoming a campaign towards building a reputable brand with lots of funding rather than an institution that actually cares for its students. Classes are not much better than at a state school, so save your dollars! Most of the professors I've had look down upon us, which is not very encouraging. I think they are also shocked at the lack of quality students at NYU.

Not sure what you want to major in? Don't come here. They make it impossible to try other classes and get into other programs. Classes fill up fast because the school is overpopulated.

3) THE CITY SEEMS GREAT AT FIRST....You come to weekend on the square or admitted students day and it looks like a dream. Everyone is so friendly as NYU advertises their brand. Washington Square and the city seems enchanting and dreamy. Be careful not to fall into this trap, especially if you are sensitive and introverted like myself. There are people everywhere and everything is always crowded. It's Manhattan. There are homeless people, crazy drug addicts, perverts, etc. You can't escape people. Whether in the dorms or on the street.

TO CONCLUDE: I am now transferring schools to a smaller college near home. I really gave NYU a fair shot, but it failed me. PLEASE MAKE YOUR DECISION WISELY. There are A LOT of students who are depressed here. A lot of students who skip class because the lack of quality and arrogant professors. Just be careful because these are not the things you will see on the admissions tour. Unless you are going to be a lawyer or a doctor, it doesn't really matter where you go to school. Don't sacrifice your happiness for a name brand school.
Sun, 03 Dec 2017 10:07:41 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/NYU_comments.html