StudentsReview - Northern Arizona University - Life at NAU Copyright 2016 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html Life at NAU - Comments en StudentsReview: Negative Review about NAU for Anthropologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html This campus has to be one of the worst shell games in the United States. Oh its pretty and an attractive campus to look at but totally morally broken down. The staff here spends most of the semester l... Wed, 21 Oct 2015 12:01:35 GMT StudentsReview 98-171393 98-171393 98 42 Anthropology Male Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Negative This campus has to be one of the worst shell games in the United States. Oh its pretty and an attractive campus to look at but totally morally broken down. The staff here spends most of the semester leading folks down long spiraling rabbit wholes of no return. Professors accuse students of being disorganized and un professional but they end up causing more confusion and disarray then being functional. Nobody communicates and every department acts like autonomous feudal lordships when it comes to understanding what each professor wants. The total arrogance of faculty is astonishing and financial aid is a total crock. Finaid spends most their time trying to make you have somebody co-sign to get private loans and if you do not have a family or, other resources as a pillow, they destroy your financial aid on purpose. Like many others here stated, many classes are not recognized due to grad students teaching the classes. Nobody that works here will be caught dead taking any responsibilities on how they trash students. And if your not a mainstream Christian or Muslim your totally screwed even though its supposed to be secular. Its like a Vortex on being a greedy ignorant degree mill. I would strongly suggest going someplace else unless your determined to purposely rip your family and friends off. Every professor I now outside here laughs at the mentioning of this campus. Run away a warning to all. Wed, 21 Oct 2015 12:01:35 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about NAU for Psychologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html Northern Arizona University is a good school. I am glad that I am attending here and do not want to transfer. The city of Flagstaff is beautiful. The only downside is off campus living availability a... Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:06:25 GMT StudentsReview 98-168851 98-168851 98 38 Psychology Female Undergraduate Class 2017 3rd Year Neutral Northern Arizona University is a good school. I am glad that I am attending here and do not want to transfer.
The city of Flagstaff is beautiful. The only downside is off campus living availability and quality. Most units do not have air conditioning and some students living off campus do not know how to live in a community and tend to cause problems like partying, loud noise, etc.
Sat, 08 Aug 2015 10:06:25 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about NAU for Nursinghttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html Not only would I recommend this university to others, I have actually persuaded a couple to attend NAU. It fits the needs of nursing students wonderfully and produces nurses who are ready to advance i... Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:34:06 GMT StudentsReview 98-157388 98-157388 98 30 Nursing Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Positive Not only would I recommend this university to others, I have actually persuaded a couple to attend NAU. It fits the needs of nursing students wonderfully and produces nurses who are ready to advance in their field. My only disappointment is the limited options for a Masters at NAU. at this time, I would have to go to another school. Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:34:06 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about NAU for Anthropologyhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html I hate this place. I'm into sports, video games, fashion, and learning about different cultures and languages, but I feel that I'm at the wrong university to find others who share my interests. This i... Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:09:27 GMT StudentsReview 98-133349 98-133349 98 42 Anthropology Male Undergraduate Class 2000 Negative I hate this place. I'm into sports, video games, fashion, and learning about different cultures and languages, but I feel that I'm at the wrong university to find others who share my interests. This is a school in the mountains of Arizona where most are interested in outdoor activities and drinking. Also, I'm not sure if this is a direct corollary of the education system here (I'm from California) but the students here do not seem to be too interested in intellectual pursuits; it's too easy to get good grades here, which is why I haven't transferred. Also if you're of a minority race you WILL be on the end of some racial slights, especially if you're a male in which you'll be looked at as if you come from Mars (even more so if you don't play a sport and get good grades) Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:09:27 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html StudentsReview: Neutral Review about NAU for Englishhttp://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html Four years ago when I visited the NAU campus, it felt very different than it does now. Perhaps I was a bright-eyed high school senior with little experience, but the changes in attitude and energy amo... Tue, 06 May 2014 10:13:49 GMT StudentsReview 98-107761 98-107761 98 17 English Female Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Neutral Four years ago when I visited the NAU campus, it felt very different than it does now. Perhaps I was a bright-eyed high school senior with little experience, but the changes in attitude and energy among professors and departments that I have witnessed since my freshman year would say that something is going on behind the scenes. Since I was an out of state student, a big draw was the small school but with state school prices. Not anymore. This year (2013-14), NAU admitted more freshmen than it had the capacity for. Like, a thousand more. NAU either did not expect so many students to accept and made a MASSIVE clerical/interdepartmental blunder, or it purposely invited more students to make more money, without considering things like where they would live or how big the classes would be. I read in the student newspaper (The Lumberjack) an interview with three freshmen who were living in a former dorm recreational room (their complaint was lack of privacy). Freshmen who weren?t so lucky to get a spot on campus were simply given information about off-campus housing and told ?good luck? by residence life. According to apartmentratings, the average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,034. My rent this semester was $460, the lowest on campus, for a single room in one of the oldest buildings on campus. From now on, most upperclassmen are expected to move off campus into frankly shitty apartment complexes or homes. The traditionally upperclassman all-female hall I live in, which has been designated for juniors and seniors for nearly 100 years, will be a coed freshman dorm next year. Like other state schools, there are also fees to pay, none of which are too outrageous. Based on choices NAU has made regarding new building construction, treatment of faculty, dining situations and housing, it is apparent they have entered a corporate, make-as-much-money-as-possible mindset. Not only is this a disappointing trend in higher education in general, it is especially disappointing for NAU given its history as a small school, small campus surrounded by a quiet college town, and as an operation of some human decency.
Academically speaking, I think NAU on the whole is mediocre. In my departments (English and Music), there were outstanding faculty and there were faculty who need to see a therapist, or have their classes evaluated for effectiveness, or both (I can think of three whose struggles with mental health issues interfered with their classes). Simply doing the minimum of assigned work is enough to pass classes. I was in the Honors program for most of my time here, but had to drop out in order to graduate on time. The Honors program was evaluated this semester by an outside panel because of its unusually high requirements and ~50% retention rate. The program requires 21 units of Honors classes, which I was only ever able to take when I was assigned into them my freshman year (6 units) or when I took a class outside of my major. I never saw an honors class offered for my major or minor, and the idea of making a class honors by doing contract honors did not appeal to me, nor seem to hold the standard of set by the program itself. Honors students must also take math to precalc and go through to calc 2 or take two semesters of a foreign language AND have a 3.5 GPA to graduate, with very high GPA benchmarks along the way in each year. Everyone I know who was in Honors dropped out. It?s true that academic rigor is not for everyone, but as someone who consistently tested in the 99th percentile and above throughout schooling and was an A/B student, I feel it should have been more possible to graduate with honors.
As an out of state student, I might have a mistaken perspective on Arizona people, but students from Phoenix, Flag, and Tuscon were mostly distant and cold. Personally, I always felt like I needed to do more than simply be friendly and fun to keep the other person?s interest, and rarely just ?hung out? casually. I felt that there needed to be a reason for spending time together, like eating food or watching a show, which meant that I spent money to sustain friendships. But that could just be me. When approached, students were reasonably friendly and collaborative. Staff at the school always treated me well, and any mistakes or issues were quickly cleared up by speaking in person, not over email or over the phone where you don?t have their full attention. Every semester, I had to direct the bursar?s office on how to distribute my financial aid the same exact way it had been for the past semesters.
Knowing what I know now, I would have chosen to stay at home and attend school in-state. Living out of state has allowed for personal growth, but none of it was because of the university. Flagstaff seems to be unaware of its giant student population, as only some pizza delivery and bars are open past 9pm, and one student dining option on south campus. Living without a car was terribly boring, it meant I was stuck on campus or limited to the expensive downtown scene all the time. However, as a year of parking is 440$ and the parking system seems to be designed to be as inconvenient as possible with hawk-eyed enforcement, maybe it wasn?t a bad idea to leave a car at home. The bus system in Flagstaff is top-notch, with a free line for students that stops at apartment complexes, a shopping center and the movie theater as well as through the center of campus and up through downtown.
As NAU moves into its money grabbing stage, I will be cautioning future college students against attending NAU. Unless you are a resident of Arizona wanting a change of location and/or you have been awarded well enough that you don?t have to take out huge student loans and can afford housing and high cost of living, this university is becoming just like any other mediocre state school and not worth extra effort, pain, or money. You can make a place to belong here, but you can also do that anywhere else.
Tue, 06 May 2014 10:13:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/AZ/NAU_comments.html