StudentsReview - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Life at RPI Copyright 2019 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html Life at RPI - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about RPI for Otherhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html They care too much about the money, not enough about the educational quality.... Sun, 12 May 2019 06:29:36 GMT StudentsReview 982-184809 982-184809 982 53 Other Female Undergraduate Class 1921 2nd Year Neutral They care too much about the money, not enough about the educational quality. Sun, 12 May 2019 06:29:36 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about RPI for Electrical Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html If you are looking for a school that has a good social life, this is not the school for you. An example was at my first year dorm, it was a shared bathroom set up. My roommate and I never saw the guy... Sun, 29 Jul 2018 06:42:49 GMT StudentsReview 982-183481 982-183481 982 16 Electrical Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 4th Year Advice If you are looking for a school that has a good social life, this is not the school for you. An example was at my first year dorm, it was a shared bathroom set up. My roommate and I never saw the guy on the other side for one whole year. Many students do not go out on the weekend, rather retreat to their rooms. Also, they are looking at getting rid of the Greek system and many of the social groups. Sun, 29 Jul 2018 06:42:49 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about RPI for Computer Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html Think MIT. If you want a real education; an education where you WILL learn your subject, then yes come to RPI. This is not a school for slackers, it is tough. Very high caliber education and what's gr... Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:42:50 GMT StudentsReview 982-182786 982-182786 982 11 Computer Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 1921 4th Year Advice Think MIT. If you want a real education; an education where you WILL learn your subject, then yes come to RPI. This is not a school for slackers, it is tough. Very high caliber education and what's great is that many companies know this. Our career fair is filled with companies from all over the U.S. and other countries. I found that our career fairs were filled with defense companies as well as the Silicon Valley group just as much. RPI's starting salary is very near on the highest level among all the nation's leading universities. I'm convinced that the negative comments you see about RPI are from people who couldn't handle the difficulty level. I graduated with a 3.2 so it wasn't easy for me either but I realize and appreciate that I truly got what I wanted, a great education. The only negative thing I found at RPI was the downtown area of the city. I went there once with my parents and it didn't look safe. Never needed to go there again, the rest of the city is perfectly safe. There are restaurants nearby and a walmart to the North. Hospital is walking distance and you can offer community service there if you want. There are over 200 clubs and activities to do there, swimming and gym are great. Food is above average but there are plenty of small take-outs in the city as well. Campus is perfectly safe at 3am. Dorms are comfortable but some are not air-conditioned so check the list to see which you want and the prices of each. The 15 food plan is plenty as it comes with flex-dollars for any additional foods you want. I don't think I know a single friend or classmate of mine that didn't graduate with atleast 90k starting salary. RPI is the best! Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:42:50 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html StudentsReview: Negative Review about RPI for Aerospace Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html RPI is a wreck. It is one of the most difficult schools in the country and the work they throw at you proves it. The administration is only focused on money and serving President Shirley Jackson. T... Fri, 12 Jan 2018 12:45:51 GMT StudentsReview 982-182347 982-182347 982 2 Aerospace Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2018 4th Year Negative RPI is a wreck. It is one of the most difficult schools in the country and the work they throw at you proves it. The administration is only focused on money and serving President Shirley Jackson.

To the guys looking for a social life, join a fraternity ASAP. It was the only reason I stayed at RPI, and even know I feel like I should have transferred out. The girls at RPI are fine enough but get super picky when they are only 30% of the student population.

Trust me, there are better schools out there that are equally prestigious and require less work from you, while giving you a better more rounded social life. STAY AWAY FROM RPI.
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 12:45:51 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about RPI for Aerospace Engineeringhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html I utterly hated my time at RPI. The professors are generally condescending assholes who have no respect for their students. I'd also say about half of them have trouble speaking English properly. Out ... Mon, 18 Dec 2017 05:59:14 GMT StudentsReview 982-182262 982-182262 982 2 Aerospace Engineering Male Undergraduate Class 2017 4th Year Negative I utterly hated my time at RPI. The professors are generally condescending assholes who have no respect for their students. I'd also say about half of them have trouble speaking English properly. Out of my 4 years at RPI I only found one professor for a technical class that I genuinely liked. However, I feel like this is somewhat standard among engineering universities.

The administration doubles down on not giving a shit about the students, having no regard for student opinions or rights. Rensselaer used to be known for having one of the last remaining student run unions in the country. Recently the school repealed this, having the school take control over the union. Several, extremely peaceful protests took place involving no violence whatsoever. However, RPI is looking to discipline the students participating both through the school and legally.

Another noteworthy point is the fact that the school is in a substantial amount of debt. Despite this we have the highest paid college president in the country, Shirley Ann Jackson. The president is almost unanimously hated by the student population and disapproved of by many alumni. Her greed matches the overall greed of the school. This school does not care about the students, only their money.

As for the students there, most are your stereotypical nerds who sit in their room all day. It is the norm. If you wouldnt describe yourself as nerdy, the student population is going to annoy you. You can find more normal people however through fraternities and sports teams. The fraternities are pretty tame compared to most state/liberal arts schools and there you can find people who arent socially awkward.

As for stuff to do, there isnt much. Troy is a shitty city. The only "normal" thing to do on campus are frat parties, which get old after your freshman/sophomore year. There are a few good restaurants downtown but they are a decent walk from campus. If you want to do anything more than that your going to need a car. Albany has a few concerts, but it isnt the most popular city for big artists to go to. Occasionally you'll find someone you like though.

And this is the biggest problem with RPI. The school sucks and is demanding, which is typical of all high level engineering schools. But unlike other schools there is nothing to do outside of school. A school like MIT is probably also very demanding, but at least your near Boston. Now I realize MIT is a lot harder to get into, but the point remains. RPI is a miserable place.

With that said I have to say that it is worth mentioning a few things. I had a GPA of a 3.8 my freshman year and it dropped down to a 3.6 when I graduated. I graduated with a 70,000 / year job immediately out of college and I was able to obtain 2 summer internships paying around 25/hr. This school is definitely known throughout engineering, at least in the northeast. I do think that these opportunities we at least, in part, because of the name. I would only recommend this school if it is by far the best school you got accepted in. 4 years in a school you hate could be worth for better jobs for the rest of your life. But I would try very hard to get into a better school. I personally would have looked at schools across the country rather than just the northeast.
Mon, 18 Dec 2017 05:59:14 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/RPI_comments.html