StudentsReview - The School of Visual Arts - Life at SVAhttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html Life at SVA - Comments en StudentsReview: Neutral Review about SVA for Video/Mediahttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html I graduated from Graduate Computer Art Department. Not only were most of my professors industry professionals, but almost all were of very good quality as to both knowledge and teaching ability. SVA's... Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:08:31 GMT StudentsReview 990-115859 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 990-115859 990 46 Video/Media Female Undergraduate Alumna Class 2000 Neutral I graduated from Graduate Computer Art Department. Not only were most of my professors industry professionals, but almost all were of very good quality as to both knowledge and teaching ability. SVA's grad programs get the best of everything particularly the Computer Art Department, who replaces their computers every three years.

The quality of thesis and student work was exceptional. They also had reasonably tough admission standards. I would definitely recommend SVA Computer Art for graduate program.
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:08:31 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Positive Review about SVA for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html This school's atmosphere is great! It's full of innovation and friendly people. The art program is so advanced. But not over whelmingly. They nurture your talent while improving it that much more. And... Sat, 12 Apr 2014 07:09:13 GMT StudentsReview 990-105899 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 990-105899 990 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2018 1st Year Positive This school's atmosphere is great! It's full of innovation and friendly people. The art program is so advanced. But not over whelmingly. They nurture your talent while improving it that much more. And if you do get the chance to travel abroad, do it! The choices vary from visiting Spain to France! While thatll be a nice change, returning back to good 'ol NYC is like no other. I mean, your located in the heart of Chelsea! Lastly, youl'll be challenged but to simply be able to surpass the limits only YOU set for yourself. Sat, 12 Apr 2014 07:09:13 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html StudentsReview: Advice Review about SVA for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html I keep seeing everyone complain about SVA but more than likely they are a bunch of unmotivated little brats. SVA costs a lot of money, and sure they let some people in who have no business here except... Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:35:16 GMT StudentsReview 990-104254 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 990-104254 990 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2016 1st Year Advice I keep seeing everyone complain about SVA but more than likely they are a bunch of unmotivated little brats. SVA costs a lot of money, and sure they let some people in who have no business here except for the fact that they can cover SVA's CODB (cost of doing business) HOWEVER If you have true talent and you're passionate SVA will back you 150%. I'm not a trust fund baby and didn't know if I would be able to afford this school or living in Manhattan but I've received 2 scholarships, one for housing and one for tuition that amount to just over $140k for the next four years. If you have something they want, they will pay for it.

In regards to what happens academically at SVA, Your education is YOUR education. No one is going to hold your hand and tell you everything you have to do, you have to take the initiative to teach yourself new things and if you have questions along the way the faculty is more than willing to assist you with as much as they can. For the ones who complain about their professors, obviously they are not researching who they are going to have a class with when they register. THIS IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Every professor is different, its important to look at the work they are creating to see if they have anything to offer you.
The Chair of my department is AMAZING. He will do anything for his students (that actually do work). SVA is one of the biggest resources you could ever have, of course, you have to pay your dues in life just like everything else. The facilities in my department are great, they definitely put a great deal of the money they charge into equipment and supplies. Theres always different lectures and events happening at SVA or in partnership, which you're informed about thru SVA's email. A lot of the students here can be lazy and snobs who just mess around but thats because of how they were raised. You have to realize that you are here for YOU and you can't get distracted by what they are doing. Not all of the students are like that though, they are certainly other down to earth students who are very talented and can actually offer you something (I came from a place where I was constantly having to teach my peers things). Your professors should be the reason why you come to this school. No one at SVA gets caught up in aesthetic beauty, this is an extremely conceptual school, technicality comes secondary. Most the dialogues in your class will be to further concept and narrative. None of my professors have really been heavy with teaching technique, I think its assumed that you already have that prior to entering classes.

In short, if you're looking to come to SVA, realize why you're doing it. Do you work hard without having your hand held? Are you looking to be challenged with your work? Are you passionate? Are you looking to network and establish valuable connections in one of the top professional communities (NYC) ? Do you want the respect of attending an internationally acclaimed school? Are you serious about what you're doing? Only come here if you've said yes to all of those questions.


Just remember, No one can teach you how to be an artist. Either you are, or you aren't and the college you choose should be viewed as a resource to benefit your artwork and your success/career. Everything in life is what YOU make of it.
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:35:16 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SVA for Video/Mediahttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html While SVA prides itself that industry professionals teach many of the classes, this means that they are also not well versed in education. About 80% of my professors were good! while the other 20% or... Sat, 01 Mar 2014 10:00:17 GMT StudentsReview 990-102383 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 990-102383 990 46 Video/Media Male Undergraduate Class 2014 4th Year Negative While SVA prides itself that industry professionals teach many of the classes, this means that they are also not well versed in education. About 80% of my professors were good! while the other 20% or so were arrogant losers who couldn't get any other job so resorted to being poor teachers.

The real problem is the school administration. There is a total lack of respect for the student. There are administrators with substance abuse issues, others who do not want to hear about any problems and as such will not provide assistance to the students. There are policy abuses and downright unprofessional attitudes. You truly feel that you are nothing but a bag of money to them.

While I have learned a lot during my four years and am now a working professional, I can truly say that it was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life and one which if I could I would prevent others from having to go through. It did teach me a lot though. I learned how to deal with incompetence, arrogance, and ignorance. Also, living in NYC without any true support mechanism for student ps (other than a small, run-down student center) is non-existant. So, should you survive it, you learn to be very self-sufficient as well.
Sat, 01 Mar 2014 10:00:17 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html
StudentsReview: Negative Review about SVA for Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etchttp://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html I had a feeling school was going to be bleak when at freshman orientation, none of the bigwigs bothered showing up. They just played a VIDEO of the provost giving a speech he gave to a class years ea... Tue, 02 Jul 2013 02:20:03 GMT StudentsReview 990-94625 Copyright 2014 StudentsReview, Ecliptical Technologies, Inc. 990-94625 990 18 Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Female Undergraduate Class 2016 2nd Year Negative I had a feeling school was going to be bleak when at freshman orientation, none of the bigwigs bothered showing up. They just played a VIDEO of the provost giving a speech he gave to a class years earlier.
Our Chair, Suzanne Anker makes all of us cringe. There are faculty suck ups that get all kinds of favors from her.
There are one or two teachers who are excellent, but the school is really neglected. I hear old man Rhodes, the owner aka president, just sits in his office counting his money. The school doesn't do much to help your career once you're out. They only exploit it when an ex student happens by luck, to do well.
Tue, 02 Jul 2013 02:20:03 GMT http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/SVA_comments.html