StudentsReview :: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Friendly, Approachable

Friendly, Self Absorbed

Excess Competition
Useful Schoolwork
She cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Jul 13 2011
Major: Biology (This Major's Salary over time)
As an out-of-state student I was definitely nervous about attending Virginia Tech. However, the transition was a lot easier than I expected it to be! My first semester was one of the hardest times of my life because my original roommate and I did not get along very well and I was also very sick for a lot of it and the classwork was a lot more difficult than anything I'd ever had before. At a couple points I even considered transferring, but looking back on it now I couldn't be happier that I didn't. Somehow between being sick and dealing with my roommate I fell in love with VT. Everyone there (minus said roommate) was super nice and friendly to me and I have made so many wonderful friends. The school spirit at VT is contagious and one of my favorite things about it. Everyone who's there *wants* to be there and the feeling is so fantastic. Yes, the classes are challenging but I like knowing that I'm definitely learning something. I know that I'm being well prepared for my future. In short I think that VT is a really great school and that before you consider transferring you should at least stay the year. You'll be glad you did :-).
If you do have any questions I would be more than happy to reply to them, I know I was very anxious before I attended college and I would love it if I could help someone!
questionWhat grades did you have throughout high school? I'm super worried because I got 2 Bs freshman year
responseI wouldn't worry about two B's especially freshmen year. I got a C in AP US history my junior year and I still got in. I would say as long as you work hard and get mostly A's you will be fine. :-)
questionHow many AP courses did you take in high school?
responseI took 3 out of the 5 my high school offered (I'm from a small town in New Hampshire). I took AP US History, AP English and AP Calculus AB. I regret not taking AP Environmental Science though.
Does VT take study abroad students? I am interested in coming to the Unites States to study for a year or a semester. Are both available.
responseAbsolutely! I've meet people from Germany, New Delhi and and France. Here is a link if you want to apply as in international student! I hope it helps!
questionOk this might sound like a stupid question, but one can't help bring it up when it comes to VT. Do you feel safe on campus for the most part? Especially after the massacre and the recent shooting in Dec 2011?
responseAbsolutely. Whenever ANYTHING questionable happens on campus, Virginia Tech sends out constant texts and emails updating students on the situation and what to do. I was on campus in December when the shooting happened and, I admit, it was a little scary but the school did a really good job keeping everyone updated and informed. The shootings haven't changed my love for VT at all. I feel safe walking around campus at night because its so well lit and there are emergency stations everywhere. I hope this helps!
questionOkay I am also out of state and I was wondering you you got back and forth from there to home? I heard that there is no train station in Blacksburg. Did you take your car?
responseYes I drive back and forth to New Hampshire. I met someone else from there and we turned out to become close friends so we end up car pooling sometimes. I would say for your freshmen year though, you don't need a car. Buses will take you every where you need to go. But once you move off campus, a car is recommended. There isn't a train station in Blacksburg but the SmartWay buses come here from DC so if you can get there, you can pretty much get to Blacksburg
questionHi,I'm an International student.I already graduated from architecture school with bachelor degree and I'm looking for a good school in the US to achieve the master do you recommend this school for architecture programs? what about the place of the school..Is it near city center ..Are there any fun activities?...etc.. appreciate your response :)
responseI personally don't know too much about the architecture program, just that it is one of the best in the country and one of the hardest majors here. I've also never been inside their buildings because you need to have access codes which only architecture students have. So I'm not the best person to talk to about this program. I would recommend emailing a professor from the department and asking the same questions! As for the town, it is definitely not a near much. If you want a city, this is not the place for you. Blacksburg is a quiet, peaceful and rated the number one place to raise a family. As for activities, the downtown bars are popular as is the New River, where people like to tube and swim. There are a lot of hiking trails since were in the mountains! The most fun though is during football season! I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions! Thanks for the response!
questionDo you happen to know anything about the International Studies major offered at Virginia Tech or anybody who's majoring in International Studies?
responseI'm really sorry but I don't know much about the international studies major and I wish I could help you out. I don't know anyone who has that major either actually because most of my friends are in the science department with me. Here is the link to the site that talks about it a little and you can see what classes are required as well. I would also recommend clicking on the faculty and staff link, reading about a couple of them and then email a few with particular questions that you have. I'm really sorry I couldn't be of more help but good luck through out the college process!
questionWhere did you go to H.S.? We, too, are from NH (Kennett H.S.) My son is a senior and his two top picks are VT and NC State, both for engineering. Do you have to pay the full out-of-state sticker price?
responseI went to Moultonborough! Small world! I do pay full out of state tuition and unfortunately, I don't qualify for many scholarships since I'm white middle class. Have you visited VT and NC state? Both are great schools but I would pick VT again ten times over. I just love it here!
questionI am also a Biology major at a different college (planning on transferring) in Virginia and was wondering how the program is over at VT?
questionHi there! I am a senior at a high school out of state and I have only been looking at small schools (less than 5,000 or 10,000 usually). I was visiting family when we decided to tour VT. I loved the campus and I instantly felt a connection. But I am worried that since so many students attend VT that I am just going to turn into a number. Did you feel as though you were just a number at VT? I am also interested in the Biology program at VT. What were the professors like? How up to date is all of the equipment? How challenging is the program? And what are the research opportunities outside of the classroom? Also, I've visited some colleges that have "roommate surveys" where you fill out a simple survey and the college/university pairs roommates together based on their answers. Do they have %u201Croommate surveys%u201D at VT? I also plan to do a lot in college (study aboard, clubs, job, etc.) but I%u2019m worried if I will have enough time and energy to balance all of these things in my college life. If I become a Biology major and have a job, what would recommend the maximum of clubs I can be involved in with without getting overly stressed? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but thank you for your time!
questionHello, I'm currently a sophomore in high school. I've been looking into colleges. I'm not sure what to make of all these comments. Some people say that you can tell the teachers care and others say that the teachers are awful and that out-of-staters are looked-down upon. I was curious if you could give me a more in-depth view of Virginia Tech. - Thank you
questionHow is on campus housing? And also I know the campus is kind of in the middle of nowhere, how did you deal with that?
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University