StudentsReview :: Malformed University Name, Uncategorized Surveys - Extra Detail about the Comment

Malformed University Name, Uncategorized Surveys

Alumni Survey

Average
Date: Jun 25 2003
Major: Journalism (This Major's Salary over time)
I attended Loyola University of New Orleans for a year and a half ('68-69) on a full basketball scholarship, while majoring in journalism. The school was not inclusive of out-of-staters such as myself. In fact, there was a lot of hostility toward us. Back then, Loyola's student body was largely the product of the closed network of local white boys and girls Catholic high schools and was more than just a bit racist. Drinking excessively was about the only activity they could think of to do well besides lacking the creativity for making intellectually curious lives outside of the socially dominant Greek system. Even though I did well academically and made regional freshman All-American teams, I found it difficult to be a scholar-athlete in the truest sense, because the coaches were always on us not to challenge ourselves academically. I only had one professor whom I'd consider great, Peter Carlotta, an expert in the very entertaining history of Louisiana politics. The journalism "profs" I had did not seem to care about us at all and abused us by making us do some of their legwork from time to time. Loyola's academic philosophy was far too closed in terms of rigid major course choices and experimentation in those days. Most of my peers cruised through school drunk most of the time, hanging with their equally inebriated "brothers" of "sisters." At Loyola, thirty years ago, men and women couldn't even visit each others' dorms on the puny, ugly, constricted campus. We visited the women's dorms at Tulane just for the cheap thrill of freedoms taken for granted at most schools by that time. Tellingly, a mere 12 out of 42 of my Biever Hall North, 6th floor freshman peers returned for their sophomore years. I left just before Christmas break of my second year because I hated the anti-intellectualism, non-progressive attitudes of the place so much, the lack of challenge, plus the incessant racism affecting my black teammates. I would never recommend Loyola University to anyone from outside of New Orleans. If you're from the Crescent City, then it's a good place to meet a spouse. That's about the only thing good I'll ever say about this terrible school. I gave up a guaranteed four-year scholarship to college. That says it all, friends! I transferred to Columbia University where I thrived in every area of my life, played hoops without assistance and graduated with honors from the number one journalism school in America, leading to a long related and successful career in many sectors. Forget Loyola of New Orleans as a viable choice for college. It could not have changed that much over the years.

Pennsylvania College of Technology (PA) 1:positive