StudentsReview :: Liberty University

Campus MaintenanceC- Social LifeB-
Surrounding CityC+ Extra CurricularsA-
Afraid, Arrogant, Broken Spirit, Snooty, Closeminded

University Resource Use
He cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Apr 01 2012
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
I have had mixed feelings about Liberty University. I am a student and I am employed as full-time staff so I have had an opportunity to see things from both sides of the fence. I have been impressed overall with the academic portion of my time at Liberty. In my major, I have been challenged and have enjoyed having the professors available to discuss theory. They have truly been mentors, friends, and excellent examples of how Christians should live and work. The department is small but growing and this has helped to build that sense of caring and family. I have heard rumors of other academic departments not having as good of fortune.

I am purposely not mentioning my major for fear that if I am discovered it will cause the loss of my job which I need to support my family while I am here at Liberty. That is how it works here at Liberty. If show any hint of independent thought or originality you are dismissed as a trouble maker. You are expected to just keep your head down and do what you are told. No questions asked. It has been suggested that slavery is not dead but rather has changed forms. A lot of the comments that I have read show dissatisfaction with financial aid, LUO, and other departments. This is due to the fact that there are no real-world training programs in place and if there are any it really doesn't matter because the turnover rate is so high due to oppressive micro-management and unrealistic goals for people who are paid only a few dollars above minimum wage that there are not many people who have experience. Those that do are supervisors and it is not likely that you will get to speak to one.

I have also had experience with the athletics department and I am not impressed. They lack integrity and will sacrifice doing what is right just to maintain the charade of Christian excellence. Rumors of football "keggers" are true and drug issues are swept under the rug. At Liberty it is all about the image. This is also shown at CFAW (college for a weekend) where big name Christian bands and extra-curricular activities abound. It is nothing more than a sales pitch to lure those who are considering attending into thinking that Liberty is one non-stop Christian party. It is marketing at its finest and Liberty does it well.

That leads into my next point. Money. Liberty, in my opinion and from what I've seen, serves money. It is there god. I cannot go into details but they steal money from there employees through coercion. When a Christian university begins to minimize its residential programs including its seminary programs in favor of online classes you have to ask the question why? It is because online programs make million whereas residential programs often struggle to break even. The quality of the academics are sure to suffer as teachers begin to leave to go where they can shape the minds of young students through real physical interaction. I have been greatly concerned as to how long my degree will hold its value due to this.

In closing, The faculty, generally, are excellent, caring individuals. I have only had one professor that whom I thought should reevaluate his choice to be an instructor. The administration is a joke. It is an institution where the "brother-in-law" syndrome is running rampant and non-spiritual people are attempting to do spiritual things. People in leadership are prideful and suspicious. Control and manipulation rule the day. It is an oppressive environment where managers go on power trips and lord their authority over their subordinates. The administration is not spiritually healthy.

In short: It can be very difficult at most times to identify what Liberty does that is different from the world. Liberty needs to make a decision about where they are heading. If it is going to go the way of Harvard and Yale then do it. Stop riding the fence. Liberty, you are the epitome of "luke-warm"
Compare LibertySave Liberty