StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design

Intelligence
University Resource Use
D-
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Major: Perfomance Arts (This Major's Salary over time)
Well, i am a graduate now of SCAD, and did very well in my program while there. I came into my major already having a working knowledge of my field, and quickly moved through coursework, and got pretty good grades. At the end of it all, i have to say it was a good time and a decent learning experience, but i dont feel that i am prepared or even supported by the college/career services department. So i suppose i would have to advise to make sure you know what your doing before you go to scad.
In my first years, SCAD was horrible. The dorms are underneath US Highway 17, a major highway with a steep incline. Expect semi trucks using their emergency brakes to wake you in the night. I had the displeasure of living above several of the FULL RIDE BASEBALL SCHOLARS that had no art background whatsoever and was often awakened by their late night antics. The busses were unreliable and always overcrowded, and I lost about 25 pounds due to my meal plan at SCAD cafe. I am a 5'6" athletic girl and i weighed about 115lbs by christmas my first quarter.I lost some of my hair to poor nutrition, and My parents literally thought i was anorexic. Dorm living breaks down to about $1,500 a month...two bad meals a day included in that. I moved out of them my second year. I lived on Tybee Island, the Savannah Beach if you will, in a cottage for $800 a month split 3 ways...do the math. If you dont mind the commute, which is BEAUTIFUL, move out of the downtown area.It is literally surrounded on all three landlocked sides by projects that rival those my parents grew up near in the Bronx. You will have much less stress in your life.
My professors were great in my particular major. Some people expect their professors to be all Rembrants of their field, but honestly they dont need to be. You need them to show you the ropes, and you have to take it from there.
Now, curriculum... wow, if i could get back the money i blew on foundation studies and math/ science requirements, i would be free of college debt. these are NOT worth the money, and at 3,500 a course, this is a huge problem. Go to a community college before you go to SCAD and get an associates. Not only will you have alot of credits to transfer.. and they will... but your financial aid opportunities will expand. I started SCAD in 2003 with a portfolio/ academic scholarship of about $4,500 a year. I left, went home to community college, and reapplied with the SAME EXACT portfolio and recieved $24,000 a year. sounds great, but i am still about 60,000 in debt from my experience at SCAD, and cannot find any paying work in my major.SCAD will not even hire me as a receptionist or tour guide, and the career services department has only internships to offer me. Without the luxury of having someone to support me while i intern, i am now studying a new profession with a better job outlook. Terrible, but at least i can still enjoy my art without relying on it for survival. Again, think long and hard before going to this school. IMAGE IS EVERYTHING here. I know, i've worked around the President's office, and that's the secret mantra. This place is a private institution.. they are looking to make money, so they are all about selling their school to prospective students. There's great stuff to be learned here, but dont expect it to be shown to you.