StudentsReview :: Arizona State University West - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Arizona State University West

I selected ASU West based simply on location.English
I selected ASU West based simply on location. I simply thought the commute to main seemed daunting. This was the BEST thing I could have done!!! My experience at ASU West could not have been better at any college!

To begin, I was been a high school drop-out. After ten years, I sat for and received my GED. I went to Phoenix College for two years prior to transferring to ASU West. At PC, I excelled but I still needed extra attention in some area, especially math and science. When I got to ASU West, the professors were available and personable. They offered much of the individualized attention I received at PC. The english department was full of worldly individuals who were able to bring their passion for literature alive which enabled students to explore and expand their understanding of the materials.

ASU West's small campus was inviting and most students engaged in some form of activities outside of their coursework. This may seem unimportant however when it comes time for graduate school, participation in outside activites is paramount. At Main, the student body was so large and the clubs so big, it didn't seem like anyone's individual participation would have much effect. At ASU West, you were NEEDED! I highly recommend ASU West for individuals looking for a smaller, closer community than you will find at main, returning students who may need more attention brushing up on once-learned-long-forgotten concepts, and for those looking for a solid education.

First, I should note that almost anyone canQuite BrightOther
First, I should note that almost anyone can post here on this site, but I am going to be honest here.

Everyone in the psychology building is great. My advisors and the few professors I've had made helped me to think critically and make me wish I could have taken all of my courses here. I've felt special and encouraged to apply to grad school. I can't thank them enough!

People in the LS degree vary. Starting back to school, I was welcomed and given ample opportunity to get involved in research. However, I was dealing with personal issues at home and did not have time, due to work, volunteering, and home issues, so the opportunity to do research came and passed. Later, when my personal issues got better, the research opportunities were no longer available. Instead, they were tracked into a select few students, who were golden. I'm a little ticked that this school decides to 'track' students (aka, make a conscious decision who are the 'bad' students and who are the 'good' students, then offer all opportunties for a successful college career to the 'good' students while withholding information/putting down/spreading rumors about the 'bad' students). I honestly thought 'tracking' stopped in highschool. Dead wrong.

Even though I was on the 'bad' student track, I have been able to dip my toes into a little bit of everything in the LS department at West. There is so much diversity here! I have gotten a pt job paying slightly more than minimum wage, twittled my thumbs in a few here and there make up research projects, like one mimicking the Western Blot (no longer used for HIV detection), and even been encouraged to remain in employment I find completely brain-numbing. They are so helpful at West in keeping me oppressed, its unbelievable.

I'm so happy I decided to go here. Oh, but I did learn some valuable shit being tracked as a 'bad' student. here you go lovely LS department....

(standing in the mic) I have some news for those haters: aint nothin' gonna break my stride, aint nobody gonna hold me down, oh-no, i've gotta keep on movin'. Ahhhh! beotches suck it up. Peace, I'm outta in 13 weeks, suckers! haters! bitch never did nothin' with her research experience, you wasted cuz you didn't even know Mista big-shot cali was pimpin' her. she's a hook-a and you so stupid you can't open your eyes to see the truff! There you wasted good research experience on some bitchassho who aint never gonna do nothin' but offer nothin' but a good blo- U all haters at this school, so beware all you adults out there who just think you gonna get somewhere - you ain't at ASU west. cuz they be beefin' it up when you aint lookin' they nuts. K man, i'm done!Thanx for the fun, and somewhat fulfilling experience of being a 'bad' student at west, at least i learned to talk like that (above). you know you want more fuckin' haters! peace out. (<---yeah)

3rd Year Female -- Class 2010
Campus Maintenance: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
I was a non-traditional student from a diverseQuite BrightBiology
I was a non-traditional student from a diverse background. I was finishing my degree and kept a full time job while attending this college. I chose the West campus due to location and the good vibe I got when I first visited. I initially had a good impression of the campus. I regret my decision and the financial "investment" i made.

With that said, I highly recommend others who are returning to school or traditioanl students to consider other options for a college. The campus here is very easy to get around since it is smaller than Tempe campus, but that is where the educational benefits stop. There was alot of discrimination and lack of opportunities for "returning students" as many of the educational opportunities are, instead, simply handed to traditional students, and many, if not all, of the traditional students consider this school an extension or a repeat of thier highschool. All traditional students are from a nearby highschool and it feels more like a four year community college rather than a university. If you don't want to be stuck in a social mix of reliving your highschool years with quarky and/or inexperienced professors who have thier own unalterable biases and belief systems, and were most likely traditional students themselves, than please consider saving your hard earned dollar and going to another school with better education. I wish I had just started in Tempe or gone to Grand Canyon University or Midwestern U. I feel my undergraduate degree was wasted because of the lack of equality I got from teachers after seeking out more enriching experiences, lack of enthusiasm about the courses teachers teach and mostly condescending faculty and peers. I heard stories from students who claim they overheard teachers gossip and talk about students in a derogatory way. I had one teacher even discourage me from applying to grad school after graduation, unbelievable that I pay for that person's salary. Don't make the same mistake I did. This is not a place you want to spend your money.This is not meant to be critical or harsh, but it is honest. I need to add that I mostly saw teachers from the natural sciences and mathematics department and have heard better things about professors in other departments on campus.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2010