StudentsReview :: Concordia University - Irvine - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Concordia University - Irvine

Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Listen to my advice and really think about what you want out of college. Career opportunities?... don't go here. An affordable education...? don't go here. A sense of purpose?... don't go here. Catch my drift? Lol basically save your money/ your parents money and your sanity and go to a better school.

I attended for 2 years and found it impossible to make quality friends, gain internship opportunities, and MOST IMPORTANTLY make career connections. From the very beginning people acted just like high school. Snooty, arrogant, and privileged. Additionally the core was a colossal waste of time. I'm sorry but studying the sequence of pinecones. WHAT!

I attended this school due to the location, religious affiliation, school size, and scholarships. I will be honest and admit that I did not do enough research with regard to the specific programs offered. However, as an incoming freshman I had no clue what I wanted to study and therefore chose CUI for other reasons.

My first two years I met some of the most immature and insecure people I have ever met. The group of "friends" I made regularly gossiped about me and legit got up from the table when I sat down with them in the cafeteria. It was like re-living high school all over again. Sophomore year I became extremely depressed and really started to stuggle. I felt like no one was supportive or there to help me and the business program left me feeling unfulfilled and meaningless.

Eventually, I transfered to Cal Poly. The connections I made at Cal Poly were irreplaceable. I've made life long friends, held 4 interships, and saved upwards of 40K by transferring. Not to mention, I have been accepted to graduate school at a UC and am proud to be a Cal Poly Aluma. The point of college is to set yourself up for the future with career opportunties, professional connections, and useful knowledge. In my opinion, CUI provided me with none of these things.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
When I was looking at coming to Concordia,BrightOther
When I was looking at coming to Concordia, I thought it was amazing and beautiful and exactly where I belonged, that is until I actually started going there. I had multiple scholarships and was a very excited freshman, which I guess came across wrong to a few classmates. Almost as soon as I got there harsh rumors about me and my roommates began to fly making us feel very targeted and unwanted. With it being such a small school, everyone quickly knew everything so we felt like we had no where to go.

Also, while it is a Lutheran university, either the students are no where near godly, or they're condescendingly religious. It was hard to make friends because if you wanted to experiment with your freedom even a little (like most college students do) it was risky trying to confide in people.

Lastly, the on-campus Health Center was the most condescending and least helpful place ever. You couldn't trust a single worker there, especially their head nurse. Twice, a nurse there prescribed medication to me without fully explaining the side effects! Then because of one of those medications, it led to a very severe situation that required me to be hospitalized during finals on their behalf, leaving me with the bill. Because of many reasons, which included bullying, the medical center, inability to maintain my grades and scholarships through both, I decided to leave the school at semester instead of finishing out the year, because I felt uncomfortable and attacked.

Even through all of that, I do visit the school regularly now because I made some life-long friends who I love and miss dearly. I keep in touch with my ex-roommates and a few others who all for the most part enjoy the school despite its flaws. It is very much like high school in the ways that it has its cliques, many of which are hard to break in to or leave without repercussions. While many like the small intimate class sizes, I found them to be a bit draining because attendance can effect your grades.

Last note and it is the most important, NOBODY EXPLAINS CORE. CORE is what you take in place of your general Ed classes, and they are the worst. They are mostly non-transferable credits which basically require you to stay for 2 years until you've finished them. If you want to transfer elsewhere you risk the possibility of having to retake general education classes and throwing away your tuition. While the required bible classes were interesting, there was also a horrendous class called Freshman Seminar which you only had to take for a semester luckily. I would regularly find myself getting upset at the [offensive] views and opinions shared in this class, such as their views on abortion (mentioned as "baby-killing"), immigration, sex, alcohol, etc. and how they were being taught extremely one-sided, and not factually. Many people never really paid attention to these lessons anyways though, seeing that most people either slept through them or used it as a study period for homework and papers etc.I personally think that this school attracts the wrong type of crowd for the type of school it advertises itself as. More cons than pros and not really worth spending 4 years at, unless it's your last resort.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: D
This university is a high school for collegeQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
This university is a high school for college students; if you are looking for the "college experience," completely disregard this school immediately. I have found the student body to be extremely cliquey like that of a high school. Another terrible aspect of this school is the cost. I am a transfer student on athletic scholarship and am in debt $15,000 after one semester... absolutely ridiculous! The education you get here is absolutely NOT worth what you are spending. In my opinion, CUI is essentially a business scheming students into paying a ridiculous amount of money for an average education.I would recommend this school if you are religious, naive, close-minded, sheltered, and not fun. If that describes you... choose CUI!
1st Year Male -- Class 2016