StudentsReview :: Chapman University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 5
Females 3
Males 2
Avg years at University 2.2
Research Quality C+ (5.3)
Research Availability B- (6.4)
Research Funding C (4.9)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.2)
Not Errand Runners C (4.5)
Degree Completion B (6.9)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.6)
Sufficient Pay B (7.3)
Competitiveness C (4.8)
Education Quality C (4.5)
Faculty Accessibility C- (3.8)
Useful Research C+ (5.2)
"Individual" treatment C- (3.9)
Friendliness C- (4.1)
Safety A- (8.7)
Campus Beauty B (6.7)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.5)
University Spending B- (6.1)
Extracurriculars B- (6.3)
Scholastic Success C- (4.1)
Surrounding City B (6.8)
Social Life/ Environment B- (5.9)
Faculty AccessibilityC-
SafetyA-
I graduated with a masters degree from ChapmanJul 05 2010Video/Media
I graduated with a masters degree from Chapman University and I would love to give it a glowing recomendation. The most important thing for me coming here was the staff. The calibor of names is what made me come here. The truth is that the names are names only. For most of the time you will have TA's and if you do get a professor they will interrupt the class and leave cause their agent is calling. Basically you are their last priority and if you do get them they are usually surfing or doing something else while they are talking to you.

Second was the facilities and equipment. They have such wonderful equipment and facilities that you will never touch or have very limited time on, or it is always broken. The tech staff is non existent and don't expect any help from the offices because they are perpetually on lunch break. Beware the lunch break for staff and faculty lasts for hours. Make sure you bring a pillow because I spent more time waiting for professors out side their office then actually meeting them, even with a scheduled meeting.

Third is the politics. Politics are in every film school so please be aware of this, but I have seen students get film sets shut down for nothing. I use to work for the school in my 1st and 2nd year and I knew that some professors liked me and I got better stuff or better equipment. I also saw that if the teachers didn't like you and didn't think you where a break out star, you got punished. The thing is there is no specific way to grade in film school so you are at the desire of the teacher. For example a student was late to class once and got berated for 20 minutes, but the favorite students were late all the time and they got nothing. The point being there is no where much more apparent than this school that politics rule the facilities. So new applicants beware of the glitz provides because after the first year your financially too deep to quite. Also, they do not help you with employment after graduation. There are a lot of students like me but there were also a few chosen that got all the help they needed, understand that for the most part its what side of the coin you are on.

I go to University College, a satellite programMay 04 2009Psychology
I go to University College, a satellite program through Chapman University. They only care about your money, you are not a name, you are a number. No one returns your phone calls, the academic advising is a joke and good luck trying to get help for any problems. On the plus side, most of the instructors are awesome, full of knowledge, and worth every penny for the education. I just wish they made it easier to take and succeed in your classes.
The University was convenientJan 12 2008Education
The University was convenient because I had to work and attend school at the same time, however, the quality of work was ridiculously easy. We had a joke that if we paid our money, we got our A. But if you are just trying to get your degree or credential, you don't really need a challenge.
The jury is still out for me hereNov 05 2007English
The jury is still out for me here at Chapman for graduate school... Honestly, it wasn't my first choice, but after I got rejection letters from my top choices, it became one of my options.

What I like:

-The city of Orange is very charming and is a part of the huge Southern California empire. Anything you want to do is within a few hours drive. Beaches, theme parks, pro sports, L.A., San Diego and skiing is all within 2 hours. Plus the weather can't be beat.

-It is a small campus, so it's easy to get around and not get lost.
-Most of the classes are interesting and helpful.
What I don't like:

-The small size makes it a hard situation at times. Some of the students are fake or arrogant, so having to have multiple classes with them gets annoying.

-Some of the teachers are more research focused than teaching focused.
-There are no teaching opportunities or funding opportunities.-Chapman is not the most prestigious or well-known program.

I love, love Chapman UniversitySep 15 2007English
I love, love Chapman University. Honestly, it wasn't my first choice, but now coming here I have nothing but praise. First off, I personally love the size. For writing (which is what I'm doing), it's a small, intimate group that you get to know very well. The professors are more than helpful if you need it. The campus easy to get around and find places. The other students seem motivated, though some of the older students (at least in my field) seem kind of lost or confused. There are opportunities to work or get involved. The city of Orange has the Old Towne, a charming circle of old-style shops, cafes and restaurants. You also have beaches, mountains, theme parks, pro and college sports, shopping, museums, clubs, L.A., San Diego and Las Vegas all 4 hours or less away. Combine that with the great California climate and you are at a school that can't be beat.
Obtaining a teaching credential at Chapman University wasNov 15 2002Education
Obtaining a teaching credential at Chapman University was the worst decision of my life! With only one class left to take in the 40+ unit program, I was suspended for an irregularity in my records! They were fully aware of this "before" I was admitted to their school nearly 2 years prior. But this is only the tip of the iceberg! In April of 2002, Chapman advised me the only thing I had left to do before I could do my student teaching was supply them with proof of passing the MSAT. Again they told me this in May 2002. Then in June! Well I passed the MSAT, provided the results in ample time, then 4 days before school was to start, they called me to say I could not start my student teaching because they did not have a certificate of clearance on file. oops! major oversight on their part. I also lost a $20,000 grant from the Governor because I fell just below the required "full-time status" because they cancelled a class I needed at the last minute! My advice: Go to a state college! With Chapman, the frustration is never-ending.
Compare ChapmanSave Chapman