StudentsReview :: Golden Gate University - San Francisco - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

ITT Technical Institute (San Diego) -- San Diego, CA
Santa Clara University -- Santa Clara, CA
University of California -- San Diego, CA

Golden Gate University - San Francisco

Total Grad Surveys 14
Females 6
Males 8
Avg years at University 2.4
Research Quality C+ (5.4)
Research Availability B (7.0)
Research Funding C (4.3)
Graduate Politics B (7.0)
Not Errand Runners B (6.9)
Degree Completion C+ (5.4)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (6.6)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.4)
Competitiveness B+ (7.7)
Education Quality B+ (7.3)
Faculty Accessibility A- (8.6)
Useful Research B+ (7.4)
"Individual" treatment A- (8.2)
Friendliness B+ (7.8)
Safety B (7.1)
Campus Beauty C+ (5.7)
Campus Maintenance B (7.2)
University Spending A- (8.1)
Extracurriculars C- (3.5)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.6)
Surrounding City A (9.5)
Social Life/ Environment B- (6.0)
ExtracurricularsC-
Surrounding CityA
I have never met a nicer bunch ofSep 14 2017Business - Management and Administration
I have never met a nicer bunch of people than the faculty and administration at this school. The lady who was the lead on my dissertation committee was great.

The school is in downtown San Francisco. There is a lot to do! If you need to work, the school is located in the heart of the financial district, so you should be able to find a job.

Many of the people I went to school with became professors. A few of us worked in private industry where a lot of us became C-Titles or VPs. If you are considering Golden Gate for a doctoral degree or law degree -- go for it.

Research Topic(s): Adoption of Web Technologies in the Professions
I earned my doctorate at GGU and itJul 11 2014Finance
I earned my doctorate at GGU and it was an incredibly rewarding experience. I was first drawn to the program because it was the only fully-accredited doctorate in finance in the Bay Area that could be pursued part-time by someone who also had a career. The experience proved to be so much more than that, however.. The full-time faculty who run the program are passionate about what they do, offering students the opportunity to engage in significant personal growth and deep learning. The faculty are also well suited to GGU's mission, combining, as they do, first class degrees with significant real world experience.

There are two distinct phases to doctoral study, and GGU's program delivers the best of both. The first phase is focused on core doctoral seminars that provide the tools and conceptual framework for understanding and conducting formal research. It was here that I came to fully appreciate the nature of the academic enterprise and begin to master the tools and techniques for its pursuit.

The second phase involves the development of a research question that will result (if you're sufficiently diligent) in the production of a formal dissertation. This is the apprenticeship phase, where you work closely with your dissertation committee and, most especially, your chair. My own committee chair was at once both guide and mentor, sending me back again-and-again to reexamine my sources, rewrite my proposals, and revisit the evidence. Each time, my dissertation got better. In the end, I was able to produce work that I believe will have a real impact on my profession.The doctoral program is probably the smallest part of what GGU does, but it represents the best of the University's mission and values. Beyond that, I can heartily recommend GGU to anyone who seeks to improve their skills and advance their career through any any of the University's many degree and certificate programs.

Research Topic(s): Finding the Planning in Financial Planning: An Integrative Framework f
Jun 13 2013Accounting
Like a bad tattoo. Go into debt at a place worth the trouble.
Golden Gate University ledJan 09 2010Business - Management and Administration
Golden Gate University led me to the success I enjoy today. The true industry experience of the teachers, the positive focused initiative of the entire student body, and wide breadth of resources all contributed to a pleasant, productive learning experience.
Instructors are excellentFeb 01 2009Accounting
Instructors are excellent. They have great knowlegde about accounting in both teorotical base and practical base. They give you advice about CPA exam.They give hints about CPA exam and even expected CPA questions. Really helpful for ones who want to sit for CPA.Professors are first source and books are second.They know every detail by heart. Recommended this school for those who want to learn accounting and its application well and who want to be sucessful in CPA.
This university is perfectJan 17 2006Business - Management and Administration
This university is perfect for someone who works and wants to directly apply class material to the work atmosphere. There is a lot lost on the student who is not working while going to class.
Research Topic(s): The Blended learning approach
I'm impressive at the re-orientation of mission andSep 11 2004Unknown
I'm impressive at the re-orientation of mission and re-structuring of programs the the university is going through as a result of the GGU president's "Agenda for Change." I'm currently enrolled in the rigorous Cybercampus EMPA program which has a great director (personal attention from Dr. Gonzalez), and topnotch set of faculty, and a bright & supportive group of students (most of them top administrators from allover the US). I've used a lot of principles learned from my classes in my workplace, and I'm confident that the research training I've received from each of my classes will serve me well in my doctoral studies. GGU is a gem of a school!
GGU's primary clientele is the full-time working professionaJul 08 2004Other
GGU's primary clientele is the full-time working professional. With topnotch faculty who have both scholarly and business experience, matched by a very student-oriented approach to learning (Cybercampus is among the best technology-based program in the nation), the education provided to working students like me who expect substance beyond theories is excellent.Things to improve on include building a "school spirit" (with the corresponding infusion of dollars from friends and alumni) and marketing efforts outside the San Francisco Bay Area to raise the school's profile nationally.
The way the university has reassessed and clarifiedJun 17 2004Other
The way the university has reassessed and clarified its mission and re-structured its programs and services accordingly has been very impressive. The use of technology in instruction (through its highly acclaimed Cybercampus) is particularly noteworthy. Classes are excellent: they're BOTH scholarly and practical, and professors are experts and the best people in their respectives fields. Staff are helpful, and students are mature and supportive. The only area for improvement that I see right now is the speed with which the Admissions and Financial Aid offices process applications and documents (there's a long wait involved). If you're a working professional, are focused, and would like to get your degree more quickly than you would in a traditional setting, this is the perfect place for you.
Compare GGU-San FranciscoSave GGU-San Francisco