StudentsReview :: Point Loma Nazarene University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 2
Males 0
Avg years at University 3.5
Research Quality F (0.8)
Research Availability D- (1.5)
Research Funding D- (1.5)
Graduate Politics F (0.8)
Not Errand Runners D (2.3)
Degree Completion F (0.8)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] F (0.9)
Sufficient Pay F (0.8)
Competitiveness C- (4.1)
Education Quality D- (1.5)
Faculty Accessibility D (2.3)
Useful Research C (4.4)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.5)
Friendliness B (7.3)
Safety A (9.1)
Campus Beauty C (4.8)
Campus Maintenance A (9.2)
University Spending C- (3.7)
Extracurriculars D (2.2)
Scholastic Success C (4.4)
Surrounding City A (9.2)
Social Life/ Environment D (2.5)
Graduate PoliticsF
Surrounding CityA
Please note this review is in reference toJul 20 2015Business - Management and Administration
Please note this review is in reference to the 5th year/ Accelerated MBA Program which has taken a significant turn for the worse since reviews in 2010 and 2013. I have nothing to gain from a negative review of the program through which I achieved my MBA. However, my class suffered & I suffered far too much frustration in this program and looking back would not want others to undertake this experience, regardless of the quick path to an MBA title.

Summary: Look elsewhere for a graduate degree. Whether you want a quality experience (start running full speed in the other direction), or you simply want the three letters behind your name (there are much cheaper options), PLNU?s MBA is no shortage of frustrating experiences and inconveniences of which I?d highly recommend against.

A small snapshot of the utterly painful situations we found ourselves in over the last year . . .
Our ?cohort?s? schedule changed dramatically and without notice through the year; all previously offered electives became two "mandatory electives," at least two key courses are no longer taught, and concentrations have been rid of entirely. While many had looked forward to specializing in their fields of interest others were relying on those courses to secure previously promised jobs that required their completion.

We were never notified of the changes, simply given new schedules at the last minute each semester. Upon notifying the Dean that we felt false advertising was evoked and that the website had not been updated to illustrate the lack of electives, concentrations, and other desired courses for incoming students? I was told the website would be changed within three weeks- without apology. Six weeks later it was updated however we were again surprised last semester when another course changed.

Having had attended PLNU's undergrad and been more than satisfied with the fantastic undergrad experience, I expected our professors to be up to the same standard, if not higher. Although three professors had ample business experience and well-written curriculums, we were disappointed repeatedly by other professors who were seemingly chosen last minute to fill the voids.

While our marketing class covered nothing beyond the 4 P?s, our teacher (the Assistant Dean) offered to send us her class papers from the following class in an effort to "catch us up" to the level we should have been taught at initially. Another class taught by an incomprehensible professor resulted in the offer of a $600 credit towards another marketing research class at a UC school after enough students complained? an obvious admittance of the failure of the class to meet standards. Unfortunately, not only was the time we had to enroll by limited, but we would also have had to front the cost and would only be reimbursed after successful completion of the course. We became further frustrated upon learning she was not being asked back the following year.

Classes focused around the knowledge of the professors, many whom have little business experience and tend to spend far more time talking up their own interests.

Law & Social Environment for example, didn't involve an ounce of law outside of a guest speaker from PLNU's own HR department, yet dove head first into sustainability and maintained its position revolving around our destruction of the universe for the entire semester. Failing to learn any law outside of common HR misconceptions was a huge downfall. That same class we were told by the professor 7 weeks in that he had just received his expected course outcomes from the director (that's right, for a class he had already been teaching for 7/10 weeks).

Most recently we began Org Com by another inexperienced teacher. I attempted to ask what concepts he believed we would draw from the class ... He first stuttered, asked me to rephrase, then instructed me to inform him of such at the end of the course. I took my concern to the Dean and was informed that PLNU's "policy" determines that there is no time in class for questions regarding concepts we could expect to learn or those regarding the experience of professors.

Cons: classes focusing almost solely on ethics, awful communication between faculty and students, wrongly evoked expectations, inexperienced professors, and numerous excuses for setbacks, cancelations, and undelivered promises all at a cost of $$$

Ask around; don?t make the mistake we did in believing the hype. They?re in it for the money and spending more of it on advertising over the radio, LinkedIn, and Facebook than they are spending on all of our teachers combined. The ?more than the bottom line? philosophy they so strongly market is in direct contradiction to the way the MBA program is ran- in just about every possible way.

I supplemented my Point Loma Nazarene learning withJun 15 2015Business - Management and Administration
I supplemented my Point Loma Nazarene learning with MOOCA's and learned more from those free courses. I now give to my undergraduate State School (which was great) and to the schools that had taught me more through free online courses.

Staff pushed personal politics. An accounting professor said that homosexuals are usually pedophiles, a finance professor mentioned numbers involving the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act that were wrong and I sent the actual data. An MBA shouldn't tell you what to think about politics and use anecdotal evidence, but teach you how to think critically as a student on those topics (when the topic is appropriate).

One professor bragged about his "time at Harvard" and he was only part of a program and did not recieve a degree from Harvard.It's shocking Point Loma Nazarene is still around. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere that has sound research, encourages discourse, and has respected faculty. Just look at where MBA's are interning when they are part of PLNU (or other programs) and compare it with other local programs that get great internships for their MBA students.

Point Loma Nazarene University